PDA

View Full Version : 3-ply Super Katana

jtteg_x
06-18-2011, 02:59 AM
Was checking out Ken Andersons updated website and came across a triple ply super katana http://andersonpowerlifting.com/index.php?crn=238&rn=485&action=show_detail
their single ply literally feels like my double stock F6 and I can only imagine what a body armor triple ply is! :omg: i wonder if anyone out there is using this shirt?

theBarzeen
06-19-2011, 10:48 PM
I use a 3-ply Overkill and it's awesome..... not the same shirt but similar in terms of support and groove.....

moving from a 2-ply to 3-ply was awesome.... just be set to fight through some pressure.

Your head WILL turn purple
You WILL break capillaries in your shoulders, neck, and face
Your eyes WILL be bloodshot
Because you WILL have to do a barbell row with 700 lbs in your hands to touch your chest.....

but it is AWESOME.

Start with it loose and tighten it as you break it in/get used to it

mike95763
06-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Your head WILL turn purple
You WILL break capillaries in your shoulders, neck, and face
Your eyes WILL be bloodshot
Because you WILL have to do a barbell row with 700 lbs in your hands to touch your chest.....

This is so very true. Touching in my 3-ply overkill for the first time was the most painful experience I've had benching, but like Barzeen said, once you get it working it is awesome.

theBarzeen
06-20-2011, 10:59 AM
yea, 3-ply is AWESOME if you have the stones to use it..... You have to work a lot to the chest to get used to touching weights.

JK1
06-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Was checking out Ken Andersons updated website and came across a triple ply super katana http://andersonpowerlifting.com/index.php?crn=238&rn=485&action=show_detail
their single ply literally feels like my double stock F6 and I can only imagine what a body armor triple ply is! :omg: i wonder if anyone out there is using this shirt?

Personally, I don't really see it working for alot of people. I've talked to one too many who won't take the time to understand how to use a double ply SK, instead they just complain how hard it is to touch and move to a different shirt. Adding another layer will just make it more technically demanding. It is going to take alot of patience for someone to learn to use that much of a shirt.

akick
06-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Personally, I don't really see it working for alot of people. I've talked to one too many who won't take the time to understand how to use a double ply SK, instead they just complain how hard it is to touch and move to a different shirt. Adding another layer will just make it more technically demanding. It is going to take alot of patience for someone to learn to use that much of a shirt.

What makes the multiply Katana unique or difficult to learn compared with other double/triple ply shirts?

jtteg_x
06-25-2011, 09:59 PM
What makes the multiply Katana unique or difficult to learn compared with other double/triple ply shirts?

very stiff polyester material. if im not mistaken, the stiffest/strongest poly on the market.

JK1
06-26-2011, 12:33 AM
very stiff polyester material. if im not mistaken, the stiffest/strongest poly on the market.

I actually don't think material has much to do with it (obviosly it contributes a little bit, but its not the be all end all). The titan material stretchs like nothing I've ever used before, that has to be remembered. These shirts (even the double ply, wil have to be tightened at least once before they are fully broken in unless you buy one that is 2 sizes too small and stretch it. . It is the cut of the shirt and the tie in with the arm/c hest that is really the issue. The "stopping power" comes from how that shirt loads the sleeve/chest seams. This loading leads to the rebound that gives the pop off the chest. If you don't have those sleeve seams set right for your arm and chest structure (In my case, I have a big barrel chest and short really thick arms so I set the sleeve seam where the halway point of the arm seam (the "torque seam"} starts to deviate laterally is right at the point of the elbow. I have played with this shirt, trying to pull the collar up or down with different settings of the arm seam and it doesn't really matter, if the arm seam is in the right place, you can touch weight if you put enough weight on the bar. At the same time if it is in the wrong position, it can be virtually impossible to touch, no matter how heavy the bar is loaded . You will graze the weight at a 1-1/2 board level right over your chest. This is a result of the loading of that chest /arm seams as best I can determine. That is also what makes this such a good shirt, but one that I really dont' think adding another layer to it will do much to improve.