PDA

View Full Version : macronutrients for bulking

geordie1986
06-20-2011, 10:21 AM
After recently losing a bit weight due to injury and stress of university exams im beginning to bulk again however am determined to do it the right way and with minimal fat gain. Ive read Shelby Starnes article http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/controlledcarb_bulking_strategy and am goin to attempt the moderate approach. Ive never bulked by counting macronutrients only just calories so not sure if this seems right?

My diet willl look like;

meal 1; Protein - 55 g, carbs - 70 g, fat - 25 g

meal 2; protein - 55g, carbs - 70 g, fat - 25 g

meal 3 (post workout) - protein 55 g, carbs - 70 g

meal 4; Protein - 55 g, carbs - 70 g, fat - 25 g

meal 5; protein - 55 g, fat - 25g

total calories; protein - 1100, carbs - 1120, fat - 900

does this seem sufficient? I started out with 50g of carbs per meal but wasnt gaining so decided to gradualy up it. My current weight is 175 and my maintenance is around 2800. Thanks.

ZAR-FIT
06-24-2011, 08:09 AM
After recently losing a bit weight due to injury and stress of university exams im beginning to bulk again however am determined to do it the right way and with minimal fat gain. Ive read Shelby Starnes article http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/controlledcarb_bulking_strategy and am goin to attempt the moderate approach. Ive never bulked by counting macronutrients only just calories so not sure if this seems right?

My diet willl look like;

meal 1; Protein - 55 g, carbs - 70 g, fat - 25 g

meal 2; protein - 55g, carbs - 70 g, fat - 25 g

meal 3 (post workout) - protein 55 g, carbs - 70 g

meal 4; Protein - 55 g, carbs - 70 g, fat - 25 g

meal 5; protein - 55 g, fat - 25g

total calories; protein - 1100, carbs - 1120, fat - 900

does this seem sufficient? I started out with 50g of carbs per meal but wasnt gaining so decided to gradualy up it. My current weight is 175 and my maintenance is around 2800. Thanks.

Looks like a great start!!! Where is all that fat coming from? Thats the only thing i would say is a little high.

geordie1986
06-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Looks like a great start!!! Where is all that fat coming from? Thats the only thing i would say is a little high.

thankyou for your reply. Thats the one thing im finding hard to get in but ive just been using extar virgin olive oil, nuts, peanut butter and cheese at the minute. Would you recommend cutting fat back a bit?

ZAR-FIT
06-26-2011, 01:29 PM
i was re-thinking my post on this... i mean chicken alone has 1 grams of fat / oz cooked. So 7 oz chicken is 56 protein and 7 maybe 10 grams fat... . what meals are you actually adding fats to? and what meals are those fat amounts just from the protein sources you're eating.

ZAR-FIT
06-26-2011, 01:42 PM
i know this approach from T-Nation. The carbs were set at 30 for most meals, but since you're at 70 i think you should alter the other macros too. If your carbs are that much higher than the protocol then I would up the proteins too. maybe go to 60-70 grams per meal. lower the carbs down a bit in some of the meals in like meals 1or 2 and in 5.... down to 30-50. keep post w/o carbs high. dont add any extra fats to what you're doing now. the exrta protein sources will add more fats naturally.

I like the back carb approach that they talk about. I'll go very to moderately low carb (15-30) in the meals before i workout and then have carbs during (50grams) and higher (70-50grams) every meal after my workout.

I'm also trying to stay lean during my bulk. Gradual and slow gain is my aim.

geordie1986
06-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Usually i get a bit of fat from the protein sources and then i just add nuts or whatever to make sure the total fat adds up to the required amount.

I originally set itt up as instructed but i think the total calories was coming out around 2500 which wasnt enough for me to gain weight so i upped carbs until i reached the required amount. i looked at th eother methods it suggests but to be honest I thought this seemed the simplest to follow out for myself. Thankyou for your advice i'll give your recommendations a go.

Behemoth
06-30-2011, 10:09 AM
thankyou for your reply. Thats the one thing im finding hard to get in but ive just been using extar virgin olive oil, nuts, peanut butter and cheese at the minute. Would you recommend cutting fat back a bit?

I would. There's no need for excessive fat. What you have is plenty, and if you find it "hard to get in" just makeup the rest from carbs or protein, it'll be better utilized for gaining.

yayeti
06-30-2011, 10:10 PM
are you gonna change your diet on days you don't lift? do you think its a good idea to?

geordie1986
07-01-2011, 03:09 AM
I would. There's no need for excessive fat. What you have is plenty, and if you find it "hard to get in" just makeup the rest from carbs or protein, it'll be better utilized for gaining.

ok thanks for your help.

are you gonna change your diet on days you don't lift? do you think its a good idea to?

no i was just going to keep it constant every day and see how it goes.