PDA

View Full Version : Nitrean+ Dutch Chocolate (Strange Taste, Normal?)

daveofstrength
06-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Hello everyone I am a new member here and I have heard nothing short of exceptionally excellent things about the Nitrean and the new Nitrean+ protein supplementation products.

Recently I had decided to take advantage of the sale going on for the Nitrean+ and ordered 2 tubs of it.

Over the years I've had my share of strange and near intolerable protein supplements which I simply slammed down but have found certain proteins to actually be quite enjoyable to the taste buds.

Now the dutch chocolate nitrean+ is actually pretty good however I have been noticing a strange taste when mixed in water, it is somewhat difficult to describe but to do my best it is kind of a egg white liquid taste with an undertone of somewhat of a fishy/scaly taste. Mixed in milk it isn't as bad as it kind of masks it.

I was wondering if this was normal for everyone? Again I have heard nothing short of great things in regards to taste and actual nutritional content to it so I was a bit baffled when I had this strange taste occur to me today when I tried it for the first time.

It is tolerable so I can slam it however I just wanted to make sure, I mean the leucine content and multiple protein source is enough for me to keep going at it but I just wanted to make sure I did not receive a bad batch because everyone I have spoken to or read about says the taste is nothing short of amazing. I am well aware that it can be a subjective thing but I would really want to doubt that I am the 1 out of a 100 that finds the "strange" taste.

thanks guys.

chris mason
06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't notice what you are describing nor have I heard it from anyone else. The product does contain egg protein, so that could be it? The vast majority of feedback on the product has been most people really like the taste, but taste is a highly subjective sense and you cannot please everyone.

daveofstrength
06-22-2011, 07:53 PM
I honestly think I sort of brought my hopes up way too high in regards to taste as so many have told me and I have read that it is the best tasting protein that they have had however the contents of the protein are far superior compared to any others I have taken.

It is only in water that I can really taste what I am describing as "strange."
Milk on the other hand, it is not as bad as I think it kind of masks it although I can taste it faintly if I really look for it.

Have you had any other similar feedback in regards to the taste of Nitrean+ dutch chocolate when looking at the other end of the spectrum of all the positive reviews. Surely there aren't that many bad reviews because I myself have only heard and seen nothing short of spectacular reviews in terms of taste and function of the product.

daveofstrength
06-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Subjective taste is subjective taste as you said, the superior protein blend along with the abundant leucine content is a fair trade off for me in the long run of things for results. I've had much worse in the past!

ZAR-FIT
06-23-2011, 12:00 AM
I throw a scoop in my mouth dry almost daily and chew on it. Thats about as potent as it gets and I personally enjoy the taste. I've definately had worse before.

SDS
06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
To me it tastes fine, it's the foamy, aerated consistency after it's mixed (water or milk) that I find unappealing. I'm going to stick with the regular Nitrean I think.

daveofstrength
06-23-2011, 11:58 AM
I am just going to tough it out, like I said the bcaa/leucine and mutli protein content alone is more than a fair trade off for this "strange" taste I am experiencing.
Maybe the second tub I have that is sealed may taste different? Although I doubt it I have my fingers crossed that maybe this tub I opened yesterday and started is a bit "off." haha

chris mason
06-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Just an FYI, I usually mix mine with other stuff (RESULTS, BCAA+ etc.) so I mixed some in water by itself last night (just to make sure nothing was amiss) and it was exactly as expected. It is a bit sweeter than regular Nitrean and has a more chocolaty flavor which is why I prefer it.

justiNCSU
06-23-2011, 09:39 PM
This stuff is pretty damn tasty. Reminds me of the little marshmallows that come in the hot chocolate mix. Delicious.

chris mason
06-24-2011, 03:29 PM
This stuff is pretty damn tasty. Reminds me of the little marshmallows that come in the hot chocolate mix. Delicious.

You sir, are representative of the majority of people whom have provided us input.

Lones Green
06-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Dave, just shut up and drink it! Haha.

Mods: I know Dave from other forum, not being a douche

Off Road
06-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Mods: I know Dave from other forum, not being a douche
I assumed he was giving an honest assessment. I can't wait to get mine so I can try it for myself.

chris mason
06-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Right, me too, that is why I did not delete the thread. I prefer to allow honesty either way here. I will only delete negative AtLarge threads when I think the person has an agenda.

Behemoth
06-26-2011, 09:12 PM
It does have a unique chocolate taste. Tastes quite similar to optimum hydrowhey IMO.

dynamo
06-26-2011, 10:00 PM
i like it, i like how it seems less thick than the original nitrean, scoop for scoop, although, its been almost a year since I've had nitrean, and I could just be imagining things. I can add two scoops to 20 oz of water and down in it a matter of seconds and not feel like I'm trying to chug some sort of cake batter wannabe, and I appreciate that. Also having it mix with a butter knife is nice.

KingWilder
06-27-2011, 02:24 PM
I will say that I prefer the taste of the regular chocolate Nitrean over the Nitrean+...enough so that I will not buy the Nitrean+ again.

Also, where the hell is the regular chocolate Nitrean?

Off Road
06-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I just tried my first Nitrean+ chocolate drink. I definitely picked up on the toasted marshmallow flavor that everybody has mentioned. To me it tasted just fine. I do prefer the regular Nitrean flavor better, but I don't find anything wrong with the new stuff, I could drink it regularly without a problem. Beats the crap out of the budget protein powder I was using until my ALN shipment showed up. Nice job Chris.

chris mason
06-27-2011, 05:20 PM
I will say that I prefer the taste of the regular chocolate Nitrean over the Nitrean+...enough so that I will not buy the Nitrean+ again.

Also, where the hell is the regular chocolate Nitrean?

The cocoa supplier for Nitrean, Opticen, and MAXIMUS has more or less dried up. We are working on alternatives. We hope to have some up by the end of the week (have a batch of cocoa being tested now).

Chris