PDA

View Full Version : Pain just under knee cap squatting?

Cricket_Fire
06-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Hey all

Been having some knee pain right at the very base of my right knee cap my last training cycle. Only bugs me when squatting (walking etc is totally fine). It had been hurting during training leading up to a meet a couple weeks ago, then on my 2nd squat attempt really started to hurt (walking on it, getting up from chairs, etc all hurt). I was still able to deadlift a pr with it, so I'm guessing it's not toooo serious lol

It's been a couple weeks and it's back to where it was before the meet (squats etc hurt, but walking on it is fine).

Just curious if anyone has any idea what it could be/what I should do for it? Someone suggested tight quads pulling up on my patella could be the problem? Just been icing it and avoiding any squatting/quad work

Cheers,
Keenan

NickAus
06-24-2011, 09:33 AM
My left knee gets sore when my hamstrings are tight............just my 2 cents.

Hope your sorted soon!!

JK1
06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Hey all

Been having some knee pain right at the very base of my right knee cap my last training cycle. Only bugs me when squatting (walking etc is totally fine). It had been hurting during training leading up to a meet a couple weeks ago, then on my 2nd squat attempt really started to hurt (walking on it, getting up from chairs, etc all hurt). I was still able to deadlift a pr with it, so I'm guessing it's not toooo serious lol

It's been a couple weeks and it's back to where it was before the meet (squats etc hurt, but walking on it is fine).

Just curious if anyone has any idea what it could be/what I should do for it? Someone suggested tight quads pulling up on my patella could be the problem? Just been icing it and avoiding any squatting/quad work

Cheers,
Keenan

right under the knee cap can be more than one thing.. Patellar tendonitis, tenosynovitis, anterior tibialis strain,etc. First thing to do is check to make sure your knees are tracking correctly over your feet when you are squatting. If you are torquing in or out or your knees are shooting over your toes, you need to correct your form before you do anything.

Tom Mutaffis
06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
It sounds like it could be patellar tendinitis, but the only way to get a proper diagnosis would be to see your physician.

Some of the things that have helped me in the past with knee pain were checking my form (making sure that my knees were not coming forward and that they were 'pushed out' when I squat, wearing neoprene sleeves to keep the tendons/ligaments warm, and cutting back a bit on volume to allow for more recovery. You may also want to consider adding in some fish oil and/or other joint supplements.

Cricket_Fire
06-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys. I've taken out any kind of squatting since the meet, might keep it out for another week or 2 then work back in slowly.

I have been squatting using a somewhat olympic style squat (definately not an olympic squat, but using oly shoes and squatting a little more straight up/down than sitting back as much) so I'll try going back to a slightly wider/hips back squat so my knees stay back more and see how that goes

Thanks again

4g64fiero
06-24-2011, 02:46 PM
My left knee gets sore when my hamstrings are tight............just my 2 cents.

Hope your sorted soon!!

THIS

Hip mobility will save your knees op.

ajweins
06-24-2011, 07:59 PM
I agree with the patellar tendonitis theory (as I have experienced this as well). I would be very careful of not letting your knees drift too far forward. I am also a raw squatter who likes Oly shoes. However, on my 3rd squat attempt at my last meet I could tell my left knee shot forward something fierce, and then I get the nagging pain that you are talking about. And no I did not get the lift....

mastermonster
06-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys. I've taken out any kind of squatting since the meet, might keep it out for another week or 2 then work back in slowly.

I have been squatting using a somewhat olympic style squat (definately not an olympic squat, but using oly shoes and squatting a little more straight up/down than sitting back as much) so I'll try going back to a slightly wider/hips back squat so my knees stay back more and see how that goes

Thanks again

I'd agree with going back to a slightly wider stance and going to a flat shoe like chucks when you do it. If they are still hurting and inflamed when you do this use wraps for a while (even if you don't compete in them). This will pin down and support the patella tendons and alleviate a lot of the pain and also cause less aggrevation to the tendons letting them heal faster. I don't hesitate to train in wraps when needed even when getting ready for a raw meet where wraps are not allowed. (My knees areold and have issues...3 knee surgeries from football). Good luck Cricket Fire!

Cricket_Fire
06-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks again all

I've been competing raw lately but wraps sound like a good idea - I think I'll use them for the first little while back then try and slowly ease out of em

JK1
06-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks again all

I've been competing raw lately but wraps sound like a good idea - I think I'll use them for the first little while back then try and slowly ease out of em

Something to think about with wraps. My wife has had ongoing patellar tendonitis/tenosynovitis (inflammation of the patellar tendon associated synovia tissue). We tried wrapping her knees and found that we had some major problems with uneven pressure from the knee wraps--this will happen on anyone with promenent knee's/relatively thin legs because of knee joint structure. She'd squat heavy then not be able to walk right for 3-4 days because of knee pain or she'd miss attempts because of sudden knee pain and she'd bail. We now wrap in the "V" style over the front of the knee where the patellar tendon is more cupped in the wrap. That puts even pressure on the patellar tendon, where a circular wrap can possible torque the knee cap/patellar tendon to one side.

She wears knee sleeves (APT Single ply sleeves) on everything, all the way up to opening attempts at meets. Then we wrap her knees. We only wrapped her knees about 8 times the entire last training cycle. Otherwise everythign was done with knee sleeves. That has made the biggest difference for her knee pain issues. She put up a 55 lb squat PR at her last meet, i think as a direct result of us figuring the torquing of the knee wraps out and changed how we were using them.

Cricket_Fire
06-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks for that JK

Ended up switching to Chucks with a slightly wider stance. Worked up to just 315 for a few triples and 405 for a single. Knee felt great but the opposite hip hurt. If it's not 1 thing it's the other hahah

mastermonster
06-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks for that JK

Ended up switching to Chucks with a slightly wider stance. Worked up to just 315 for a few triples and 405 for a single. Knee felt great but the opposite hip hurt. If it's not 1 thing it's the other hahah

On a similar note as I mentioned before. As we stay in this sport over time we have to work around injuries and even wear and tear. Like using wraps when needed even to train for raw events, I'll use a very stretched out pair of briefs (my old 300 lb. bodyweight briefs) to do my heavier sets in. I can get in them in less than a minute but they take the stress off the hip flexors enough to squat without pain. I'll come out of them the last session to know where I want to open for sure. Nothing in any rule book says you have to train all raw to compete raw. In most sports there are plenty of training aids that never leave the practice field to be used at the game. So, why should powerlifting be viewed any differently. Like boards and bands; we use them to improve, but leave them in the gym. Same difference. I'd always say to compete how you choose but train to protect your body. It's the only one you've got to carry you through however many years you'll be in the sport. Hope this helps!

Cricket_Fire
06-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Definately helps MM thanks! I do have an old pair of breifs from when I was 70lbs heavier (they were pretty loose then too lol) so might give that a try. I haven't squatted wide since I competed in gear though (been around a year I think) so hopefully it's just a case of getting used to it again