PDA

View Full Version : Cutting

Ryder
06-24-2011, 12:11 PM
It's been a long time since I've posted here but I hope you guys can help.

I've goent to the stage where I'm 'content' with my size so thought I'd try to cut a little body fat.

I weigh 205lbs with a body fat of what I would consider to be around 15%.

My goal was to lose around 10lbs of fat but slowly lowering my calorie intake to achieve a weight loss of around a 1lbs a week.

My trouble is that I'm scared of lowering my calories too much as I want to keep as much muscle as possible.

At the moment I'm shooting for 2000 calories a day which I thought would see the fat dropping off but it hasn't.

My question is this.

Should I continue to lower calorie intake OR will fat loss only be achieved by cycling carbs and a clean diet?

I will NOT adjust the way I eat, so if I cannot lose fat by just lowering my food intake then I'll forget about it and get back to putting on some mass.

I am willing to drop to 1500 calories if required but if not much happens due to my 'eat anything diet' then I won't bother.

Hope this makes sense.

JacobH
06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
You can definitely drop bodyfat by decreasing calories and not touching your diet. However if your diet doesn't contain good macros it is unlikely you will maintain a good amount of muscle while doing it. You should read the stickies at the top of this forum.

ZAR-FIT
06-24-2011, 04:15 PM
keep the calories up and add cardio

JacobH
06-24-2011, 04:56 PM
keep the calories up and add cardio

It's been my understanding that cardio is a poor way to drop fat while maintaining muscle. Reading through the sticky at the top of the forum is where I got this impression. So I am just wondering are you suggesting this for this specific case? I know you are highly experienced, so I would definitely follow your advice, just wondering what the deal with that is.

colinS3
06-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Well, cardio as in distance running will certainly drop fat off (coupled with a decent diet of course). But distance running also has some other side effects that lifters aren't exactly pleased with (burning of muscle being one of these side effects). That being said, you can easily gain strength while distance running. It may interfere with lower body workouts though... going all out in the gym and then going on a long run the same day or day after is just asking for an injury. At least from my experiences.

Going for a brisk walk for 30-45 minutes is very beneficial as well, and it doesn't burn off muscle like distance running. A 30-45 minute walk can burn plenty of calories. Try adding those walks into your workout schedule if others say good things about it as well. If not, well, sorry for wasting your time!