PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good utility bench

shocker4221
06-24-2011, 08:53 PM
I do all my bench work in a power rack and use a utility bench in the rack. I've only purchased adjustable benches in the past, but the problem with these are they all tend to bend over time because of the weight. Can anyone suggest some good utility flat benches that will hold up to heavy weights and still be comparable height to meet style benches? I've found several benches but they do not provide any information on what weight they are rated for. Any help as always is appreciated.

jharris520
06-28-2011, 03:35 PM
I do all my bench work in a power rack and use a utility bench in the rack. I've only purchased adjustable benches in the past, but the problem with these are they all tend to bend over time because of the weight. Can anyone suggest some good utility flat benches that will hold up to heavy weights and still be comparable height to meet style benches? I've found several benches but they do not provide any information on what weight they are rated for. Any help as always is appreciated.

Here is a good bench that I've lifted on in the past. Not sure if it's the height you want, but it's heavy duty.
Deminsons: Length 42.5" x Width 16" x Height 19"
http://www.harrissport.com/products/Commercial-Flat-Bench.html

Rob Luyando
06-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Gett ahold of Scott Proseck makes awesome equipment at a reasonable price.

Tom Mutaffis
06-28-2011, 06:40 PM

If you are lifting heavy then your best bet will be a commercial grade bench, for home gym purposes I would look for a used one to keep the price reasonable.

You should be able to find one on craigslist, or could also check a place like Play It Again Sports.

StLRPh
06-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Gett ahold of Scott Proseck makes awesome equipment at a reasonable price.

x2, I have a utility bench that Scott made and it's the best bench I've ever used. Competition width, excellent pad and good looking piece of equipment.

this is his website:
http://www.snpequipment.com/

barryisawinnah
06-28-2011, 07:43 PM
x2, I have a utility bench that Scott made and it's the best bench I've ever used. Competition width, excellent pad and good looking piece of equipment.

this is his website:
http://www.snpequipment.com/

I've heard awesome things about his stuff. I think once I get a garage, he will be building me a power rack

SEOINAGE
06-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Have someone make you a solid flat bench, I made mine and it is awesome. Local welder can do it pretty easily if you have a plan with dimensions.

mastermonster
06-29-2011, 02:09 PM
I had ours made locally and it works fine. You can actually get your dimensions from your federations rule book. The widest legal pad I've seen is 12 5/8" width I believe. I don't recall the max height but you should find that in the rules too. If you want it to give you the same feel you'll have at a meet, I'd go with having it built at a metal shop by the rule book dimentions to get the best bench for your buck. Make sure the builder knows what kind of weight (including lifter) you'll be putting on it to make sure he uses heavy enough metal. P.S. If you don't find a length listed in the rule book, I'd suggest going with at least a 48" - 52 " pad board lehgth. We also have a 42" utility bench we do a lot of DB work on, and it's a little short on our taller lifters. If you make you're own pad use 3/4 inch Plywood and get a higher density padding. I'd get a textured cover if you can find it. If you don't want to make a pad you can order one from one of the companies that makes comp benches. Good luck!

shocker4221
06-30-2011, 06:57 PM
thanks for all the advice folks. I think I'll end up probably having one built to ensure it will be strong enough.

shocker4221
06-30-2011, 07:04 PM
I had ours made locally and it works fine. You can actually get your dimensions from your federations rule book. The widest legal pad I've seen is 12 5/8" width I believe. I don't recall the max height but you should find that in the rules too. If you want it to give you the same feel you'll have at a meet, I'd go with having it built at a metal shop by the rule book dimentions to get the best bench for your buck. Make sure the builder knows what kind of weight (including lifter) you'll be putting on it to make sure he uses heavy enough metal. P.S. If you don't find a length listed in the rule book, I'd suggest going with at least a 48" - 52 " pad board lehgth. We also have a 42" utility bench we do a lot of DB work on, and it's a little short on our taller lifters. If you make you're own pad use 3/4 inch Plywood and get a higher density padding. I'd get a textured cover if you can find it. If you don't want to make a pad you can order one from one of the companies that makes comp benches. Good luck!

thanks for the tips on material to use. I'm probably going to have one built to ensure it is what I want. I'm a short guy and want to train on a bench that is similar to what will be used in meets so I can get my feet perfect.