PDA

View Full Version : Iced Tea? As bad as pop??

Smoothie
05-23-2002, 08:08 AM
I am wondering how bad iced tea is, like the Nestea kind you buy in a can or bottle. How much sugar is in there and how does it compare to soft drinks. I would assume their not as bad, but its still empty liquid calories.

Titan
05-23-2002, 08:18 AM
just as bad.
Regular iced tea, from the bag. Is ace

NateDogg
05-23-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Smoothie
but its still empty liquid calories.

BINGO

Smoothie
05-23-2002, 12:14 PM
I guess this would also apply to fruit drinks like Fruitopia etc.

mrunknown
05-23-2002, 01:38 PM
diet ice tea just almost the same

jcybex
05-23-2002, 01:40 PM
I recommend getting rid of juice as well altogether. too much sugar/carbs.

NateDogg
05-24-2002, 11:44 AM
I guess this would also apply to fruit drinks like Fruitopia etc.

Yup, if you really want the fruit drinks, iced tea, etc, drink diet stuff.

ND

Saint Patrick
06-01-2002, 03:08 PM
plain ice tea without a buttload of sugar is fine.

Vido
06-03-2002, 03:22 PM
Just drink water. You don't need anything else.

Shark
06-03-2002, 04:07 PM
I am wondering how bad iced tea is, like the Nestea kind you buy in a can or bottle. How much sugar is in there and how does it compare to soft drinks. I would assume their not as bad, but its still empty liquid calories.

Pick up the bottle and read the side.. that will tell you how many grams of sugar it has. If you want to compare, put it on the table next to a can of soda and look back and forth =).

Ferdo
06-03-2002, 05:21 PM
Ya but why is diet soda bad, it doesnt have sugar. Water is definetely better but what harm can a can or two have if you still drink your water?

NateDogg
06-03-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Ferdo
Ya but why is diet soda bad, it doesnt have sugar. Water is definetely better but what harm can a can or two have if you still drink your water?

Who said diet soda was bad (in moderation) :confused: I would say (I said) that it's fine.

IceRgrrl
06-03-2002, 07:33 PM
You can make your own unsweetened iced tea by brewing tea and then letting it cool in the fridge.

There's also really cool "cold brew" tea bags that you just stick in a pitcher of water in the fridge and it makes iced tea in about 20 minutes.

Maki Riddington
06-03-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
You can make your own unsweetened iced tea by brewing tea and then letting it cool in the fridge.

There's also really cool "cold brew" tea bags that you just stick in a pitcher of water in the fridge and it makes iced tea in about 20 minutes.

*** For my diet that I've just embarked on this is what I've done.
Brewed up some green tea and poured into a big bottle, stuck some lemon slices in and let it sit in the fridge over night.
It's a cheap and effective pick me up in the morning.

djr5901
06-05-2002, 06:56 PM
I try to stay away from the powdered iced tea mix. They are usually loaded with sugar (probably just as much, if not more than your average soda). Personally, I make green tea and sweeten it with honey.

Best,
Dave

KRayZieDoGG
06-06-2002, 01:15 AM
no splenda or anything? Geez that must taste nasty :)

runt
06-06-2002, 09:04 AM
Read the sodium content on those canned drinks - it's way up there - avoid them like the palgue. Look for stuff with 0 sodium, 0 sugars and no sweetner. Sparkling water mixed with all natural fruit juice is a great sustitute. Just make sure its sodium free. To answer the original question - I've heard great things about green tea and it's supposed to be pretty good as iced tea.