PDA

View Full Version : Big 3 Question

colinS3
06-26-2011, 09:00 AM
What numbers for the big 3 lifts should a guy around 165 pounds be hitting to be competitive in his low to mid 20s? I'm nowhere close right now, plus I'm 18, but it would be nice to have a big goal like that to work towards for a few years.

mastermonster
06-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Just my opinion. Compete when you decide to compete. Enjoy the experience and compete to break your best numbers early on. Later, what's competitive kind of depends on what level of meet you're in and what level of competitors are likely to be there. At a State or local meet you might find a 5 -6 times bodyweight total to be very competitive. At Nationals it might take over 10 times bodyweight in the lightweight classes just to make top 2 or 3. At Pro meets it might take over 11 times bodyweight (especially multi-ply) to be in the running. So, there's really not a solid # answer to give you; but I hope this answer helps some. I'd say if you been training long enough to have good form and perform the lifts to satisfy the rules expectations, and are dying to compete; go for it and start getting the platform experience. Then try to beat your own numbers each meet and eventually you'll be beating the other competitors. Just do it and if you love it, stay with it and let it happen. That's what I've been doing for a lot of years. Good luck!

theBarzeen
06-26-2011, 02:51 PM
The best advise I got when I was setting my goals and getting started is to just go and compete. Your goals after that are to do better every time out.

Raw at 165 we have a few state-level guys going ~400-300-400

Multi-ply we have a guy just getting started in his 30's who has gone ~500-350-500

and a guy in his 60's who went ~550-400-500 this year

setting your goals to be a world-beater right out of the gate is unrealistic and will only cause you to perform poorly. Just go out, get lots of experience competing, and improve every time out.

ScottYard
06-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Get on the platform and get going. It's not just about numbers. It's about getting better. If you wait years and years you won't do anything.

colinS3
06-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Once I get back into shape I'm definitely considering competing even though I don't have stellar numbers right now. But thanks to everyone for the advice and the rough estimates, it's very helpful.

Dank27
06-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I am in the same boat. I waited too long then did real crappy my first meet. I am trying to get over the stage freight aspect and just get better. Do it for u.

Mark!
06-26-2011, 08:54 PM
My bench right now is pathetic, seriously...bad. I'm competing in a meet in August, just for ME. I want to hit over 300lbs raw on the bench, then my next meet do more, then more, and more each meet, that's my goal for now. I know if I keep busting my ass, strength will come with the hard work. I think, if you went in to it with a like mentality, competing more with yourself rather than others, it'd go a lot smoother for you. Like Scott said, get on the platform.