PDA

View Full Version : Water weight!

bobbydeniro
06-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Hey,

Just got back from a long vacation, and was in the best shape I'd ever been, eating really carefully, until the final week when I just cracked and ate everything in sight. 7 days of total gluttony. :(

Needless to say, I am back home and no longer in very good shape. But I somehow refuse to believe that all of this bulge is from pure fat, and I am hoping that a good chunk of it is water weight that I can get rid of pretty quickly.. It's so bad that my belly permanently sticks out over the top of my jeans and my love handles are looking huge, it feels so gross...

So, how long will it take me to lose the water weight? I am planning on basically fasting on fruit and water for 3 - 5 days, hope I will see some of this flab diminish by then. Really can't deal with looking this way for long!

Thanks for the advice in advance. :)

Sean S
06-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Avoid the extremes and just get back to eating a reasonable, healthy diet and things will take care of themselves with time. A super low calorie diet or fast right now just has you bouncing from one extreme to the other. You are probably right that you have some water weight or bloat, but don't take drastic measures for it. Just get back on the path of doing things right and it will be gone before you know it.

bobbydeniro
06-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks for your advice - I'm wondering, though, how long should it take for things to go back to normal? I really want to feel like myself again, it's physically uncomfortable to feel like this. Should I buy some diuretic pills or something, to help the process along?

Off Road
06-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Chill out...and just get back to your normal routine.

bobbydeniro
06-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Arrggh, you're right, you're all right! I am just panicking and feeling revolting. I feel like I don't have a waist anymore.

Gotta just chill out. :)

4g64fiero
06-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Part of that bulge is probably just Ego.

bobbydeniro
06-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Nice.

colinS3
06-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Listen to what they're saying about chilling out. Going from eating everything to fasting could backfire. Your body slows its metabolism and stores a lot more fat than usual, which is exactly what you don't want. Just go back to a normal, well balanced diet and you'll be back to normal in probably a week or two. It'll get the job done and it's much better for you.

Besides, most of it is water weight and not actual fat. And you can only gain so much in 1 week. You'll lose it in no time with your regular diet.

Cards
06-26-2011, 06:58 PM

x2..

Mark!
06-26-2011, 07:22 PM

x a million. don't buy any dyuretics or anything, you'll just end up dead, and what good is that. Ok probably won't DIE, but anyway. Water weight for me usually drops a lot after getting back on track dude, I can drop 6lbs in a few days after carb ups and water weight. Hang tough, bust ass.

Behemoth
06-26-2011, 08:52 PM
x a million. don't buy any dyuretics or anything, you'll just end up dead, and what good is that. Ok probably won't DIE, but anyway. Water weight for me usually drops a lot after getting back on track dude, I can drop 6lbs in a few days after carb ups and water weight. Hang tough, bust ass.

6lbs? pffft. I can do 12-15 in a day or two

Behemoth
06-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey,

Just got back from a long vacation, and was in the best shape I'd ever been, eating really carefully, until the final week when I just cracked and ate everything in sight. 7 days of total gluttony. :(

Needless to say, I am back home and no longer in very good shape. But I somehow refuse to believe that all of this bulge is from pure fat, and I am hoping that a good chunk of it is water weight that I can get rid of pretty quickly.. It's so bad that my belly permanently sticks out over the top of my jeans and my love handles are looking huge, it feels so gross...

So, how long will it take me to lose the water weight? I am planning on basically fasting on fruit and water for 3 - 5 days, hope I will see some of this flab diminish by then. Really can't deal with looking this way for long!

Thanks for the advice in advance. :)

Take the diet that you were prior to vacation that got you in that great shape and eat halfway between that amount of calories and your maintenance amount of calories. At times like these it's tempting to do something drastic to attempt to undo the damage as quickly as it was done, but it never works. Extreme restriction will always lead way to an extreme deviation. The reason you likely went off the deep end was being on a diet that was too restrictive. Even if it's tempting to go back to something like it because it got you in great shape, realize it also got you in this mess. Take a more moderate approach and it might take just a little longer to get where you want to be again, but you'll stay there more easily.

Mark!
06-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Rory, you're just a freak though, 12-15lbs for a freak, 6lbs for a normal fat guy, haha.

bobbydeniro
06-27-2011, 04:24 AM
thankyou so much for all the advice, everyone.
I appreciate the fact that very restrictive diets lead to binges, but in this case, my diet before the binge was fairly moderate, I was eating about 1300 calories a day of meats, fruits and veggies. It was the sheer quantity of amazingly tempting food around, mixed with pressure from others, that made me cave in.

I will easily be able to follow a fruit-only diet for a few days, if not only because it makes me feel physically rejuvenated when I've done it for a while. I hope it'll jumpstart the loss of water weight, and then I will gradually revert to the diet Behemoth suggests, adding more foods/calories each day.

Wish me luck!