PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a squat suit

kingns
06-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I have been using a size 46 centurion for over a year now. I got it used and its always been super loose and stretched. I just got a brand new 44 and its very tight. Like spent thirty mins slipping it on and almost but never got it fully seated. So its very different.
My question is, how much should I use the new suit to break it in, while still not stretching it out? I planned to use my old suit up until my last 4 squat sessions before the meet, but after trying on the new one its just so radically different I'm not sure if the first session or 2 w it will but me a waste trying to break it in. Thanks for any input

Sensei
06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
My advice would be that if you are planning on using it in the meet, to start getting used to it in training. Going down a size is a big change.

mastermonster
06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
My advice would be that if you are planning on using it in the meet, to start getting used to it in training. Going down a size is a big change.

THIS!

I'd add to start by getting it on as well as possible and start trying to squat to a box at lower and lower heights. This gives you a fixed measure to progress from. Keep pulling the suit and getting it more and more seated. When you can hit depth to the box set at legal depth remove the box. After you've hit depth (video it from the side) a couple of consecutive sessions with some weight at or just under your planned opener, you can decide if you want to save this suit for meets and train in the older one or not. If you do, I'd send the old one in to be tightened to fit more closely like your broken in meet suit. Good luck with it and hope this helps!

theBarzeen
06-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I would start with the meet suit as early as you can.... tighter gear will work differently and you'll want to know how it'll work to depth so you are confident in it. If it stretches badly just take it in at the seam 1/2" ( total, that means running the new seam 1/4 from the old one)