PDA

View Full Version : Stongman events training twice per week?

patricky
06-29-2011, 03:27 AM
I am currently doing 5/3/1 with a day for strongman.
My routine is:

Monday
Bench 5/3/1
Dumbbell bench 1x5
Dips 1x5

Wednesday
Squats 5/3/1
Glute ham raise x8
Sit ups

Friday
Log press failure
Yolk carry 1x 20 metres
Farmers walk 1x 20 metres

Saturday
Deadlifts 5 singles
Kroc rows
Incline dumbbell curls

Now I love working out and I know that you can overtrain. I know strongman workouts are very taxing.
Would it be ok to do a strongman workout on Tuesday as well?

Tom Mutaffis
06-29-2011, 04:43 AM
I am currently doing 5/3/1 with a day for strongman.
My routine is:

Monday
Bench 5/3/1
Dumbbell bench 1x5
Dips 1x5

Wednesday
Squats 5/3/1
Glute ham raise x8
Sit ups

Friday
Log press failure
Yolk carry 1x 20 metres
Farmers walk 1x 20 metres

Saturday
Deadlifts 5 singles
Kroc rows
Incline dumbbell curls

Now I love working out and I know that you can overtrain. I know strongman workouts are very taxing.
Would it be ok to do a strongman workout on Tuesday as well?

If you are going to do three gym training days then I would stick with one strongman day, but you should be able to increase the volume of your event training.

In my opinion the 5/3/1 program is not very good for strongman training. One way to potentially work around this would be to deadlift on your event day and log press on your bench day, but this makes implement training more of an after thought.

Here is one option that might work for you:

Monday: Bench (5/3/1), Dips
Tuesday: Squat (5/3/1), GHR
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Rows & Chins
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Event Training (2-3 sets of 3-4 events alternating between the following: Log or Axle press, Yoke, Farmers, Tire, Deadlift or Deadlift Variation, Carry, Drag, Stones, etc.)
Sunday: Rest

patricky
06-29-2011, 06:14 AM
If you are going to do three gym training days then I would stick with one strongman day, but you should be able to increase the volume of your event training.

In my opinion the 5/3/1 program is not very good for strongman training. One way to potentially work around this would be to deadlift on your event day and log press on your bench day, but this makes implement training more of an after thought.

Here is one option that might work for you:

Monday: Bench (5/3/1), Dips
Tuesday: Squat (5/3/1), GHR
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Rows & Chins
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Event Training (2-3 sets of 3-4 events alternating between the following: Log or Axle press, Yoke, Farmers, Tire, Deadlift or Deadlift Variation, Carry, Drag, Stones, etc.)
Sunday: Rest

Hey thanks for the reply.
Why is 5/3/1 not very good for strongman training?
I've always wanted to train westside style, and I've eard it works well with strongman training. But it just seems that everything I read on the subject is conflicting.

Do you reckon you could make a routine westside style for strongman?
Cheers dude.

barryisawinnah
06-29-2011, 12:03 PM
It's just easy to overtrain when doing 5/3/1 and strongman

I am doing it, but I make sure to keep my accessory work down and take a DELOAD every 4th week. I also have the luxury right now of not doing jack shit all day and being able to sleep 9-10 hours everyday. That won't always be the case, then I might have to make some adjustments.

What are you current strength levels at? I know strongman isn't all about gym numbers, but lets be honest, there are some certain numbers that you want to be around. I'm not saying that if one isn't at those numbers that they shouldn't train events, I am just just saying that they should still be focusing a lot of their attention on the normal gym shit. For example if your deadlift is in the 300s, you're not going to be loading a 300lb stone. If you can't overhead 200lbs, then you're not going to be hitting a 200lb log, etc.

I would not add a 2nd event day, if you have access to the implements everyday, then you could do like 1 event after your 5/3/1 day.

Say 5/3/1 squat and then yoke walk, etc.

patricky
06-29-2011, 12:46 PM
It's just easy to overtrain when doing 5/3/1 and strongman

I am doing it, but I make sure to keep my accessory work down and take a DELOAD every 4th week. I also have the luxury right now of not doing jack shit all day and being able to sleep 9-10 hours everyday. That won't always be the case, then I might have to make some adjustments.

What are you current strength levels at? I know strongman isn't all about gym numbers, but lets be honest, there are some certain numbers that you want to be around. I'm not saying that if one isn't at those numbers that they shouldn't train events, I am just just saying that they should still be focusing a lot of their attention on the normal gym shit. For example if your deadlift is in the 300s, you're not going to be loading a 300lb stone. If you can't overhead 200lbs, then you're not going to be hitting a 200lb log, etc.

I would not add a 2nd event day, if you have access to the implements everyday, then you could do like 1 event after your 5/3/1 day.

Say 5/3/1 squat and then yoke walk, etc.

Oh my god, you're a fucking genius. I NEVER thought about that. Doinmg 1 event after each gym lift. BRILLIANT!
I'll definately do this. Allows me to put 100% into each event.

My strength levels are
227.5kg deadlift
180kg squat
127.5kg bench
95kg log press

I weright 120kg and can do 5 chin ups

Like you I get to laze around all day. Rules doesn't it?
I don't work and have access to proteinb and all the food I need.

barryisawinnah
06-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Oh my god, you're a fucking genius. I NEVER thought about that. Doinmg 1 event after each gym lift. BRILLIANT!
I'll definately do this. Allows me to put 100% into each event.

My strength levels are
227.5kg deadlift
180kg squat
127.5kg bench
95kg log press

I weright 120kg and can do 5 chin ups

Like you I get to laze around all day. Rules doesn't it?
I don't work and have access to proteinb and all the food I need.

Yeah, if I had access to the implements I would do that, but I dont. So I train events on Saturdays at a place about an hour away.

Like me you have a pretty good base, but still need to gain quite a bit of strength to really be competitive.

At times doing nothing rules, lol. I am kind of looking forward to school starting again though, lol