PDA

View Full Version : First Push/Pull Meet Prep Help..

dechrist
06-29-2011, 05:24 AM
I'm currently doing 5/3/1 about 5 weeks out from my first meet. Now the main question I have is on the 4th week which is a deload week should I hit my openers and the following week just rest up until that Saturday?

If this is vague I can give a bit more details.

My projected openers are
Deadlift: 335
Bench: 185

Shooting for a 10 lb p.r. on both.

jkstrength
06-30-2011, 08:19 AM
I believe the 5/3/1 protocol is to NOT take your openers during the deload before the meet. To each his own but that is what Wendler recommends I believe.

Also, just to be clear, your openers aren't 10 pound PRs are they?

Mark!
06-30-2011, 08:25 AM
If you're shooting for a 10lb PR on an opener, I'd save the PR for the 2nd or 3rd lift. I'm coming up on my first push pull meet, and my openers will be something I can hit every time I step on the platform with ease, just to get in the groove and get the adrenaline in check. I don't have 5/3/1 for powerlifters yet, but in the 5/3/1 manual it doesn't specifically say anything about meet prep, at least I didn't find anything using the search function.

dechrist
07-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Sorry I didn't word it right, i'm going to shot for 10 pound pr on my other attempts. I plan on opening light enough to get something on the boards. Something I know I can hit.

What I was trying to say i'm 3 weeks out.

Next week is the 5/3/1 week on Monday the following week is a deload week which is NOT the the week of the meet but the week AFTER is the week of the meet. So I was thinking next week do the program as written. The following week hit my openers. Than the following week shut it down and rest til meet time.

I think I almost hurt my brain.

covpride
07-02-2011, 01:53 PM
For your deload week I would say hit your openers and shut it down, then the week of the meet deload. I did this the first meet I did and worked out well. The deload week i did the normal deload week, just warm ups, and like one assistance exercise with really light weight.

ScottYard
07-02-2011, 04:37 PM
For your deload week I would say hit your openers and shut it down, then the week of the meet deload. I did this the first meet I did and worked out well. The deload week i did the normal deload week, just warm ups, and like one assistance exercise with really light weight.

I would do this as well.

hoot
07-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Have fun with it. Trust your training.

dechrist
07-04-2011, 06:46 AM
So to be clear i'm setting it up this like per everyone's help.

This week 5/3/1 week
Next week Hit Openers, No Conditioning, Very limited assistance
Deload week, Deload but just stay lightly active not enough to ruin recovery up until weigh ins and the meet on Saturday

covpride
07-05-2011, 05:27 PM
yes, that is what we are saying. I did that and hit 2 20lb PRs at my first meet.