PDA

View Full Version : Tire Too Small To Flip?

Pure Water
07-02-2011, 07:43 PM
My gym got a tire a couple months ago so the last few weeks, I've been doing tire flips. But I may have a problem... the tire is too small to flip. Is this possible?

I've watched the EliteFitness video on how to do tire flips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZb1PUm2_O4) and the guy talks about not doing an "ugly deadlift". Well, I think that's pretty much the only way I can do it because if I try to get the top of my shoulder on the tire, my feet have to be way more back than where his are. Not to mention, when I try to lift it, I can really only slide it (can't get it to go upwards). I've tried putting my feet back around where his are and my biceps end up on the tire and when I try to flip it, it kills my arms.

I'm 5 ft 11 inches tall and when the tire is flat on the ground, it's only about a foot and a half, which comes up to just under my knee cap. Also, this tire is LIGHT! I've flipped it 32 times in a row and can still do more.

I'm not sure what I should do differently or even if I should do tire flips at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas?

Army05mftrainer
07-03-2011, 01:21 AM
My gym got a tire a couple months ago so the last few weeks, I've been doing tire flips. But I may have a problem... the tire is too small to flip. Is this possible?

I've watched the EliteFitness video on how to do tire flips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZb1PUm2_O4) and the guy talks about not doing an "ugly deadlift". Well, I think that's pretty much the only way I can do it because if I try to get the top of my shoulder on the tire, my feet have to be way more back than where his are. Not to mention, when I try to lift it, I can really only slide it (can't get it to go upwards). I've tried putting my feet back around where his are and my biceps end up on the tire and when I try to flip it, it kills my arms.

I'm 5 ft 11 inches tall and when the tire is flat on the ground, it's only about a foot and a half, which comes up to just under my knee cap. Also, this tire is LIGHT! I've flipped it 32 times in a row and can still do more.

I'm not sure what I should do differently or even if I should do tire flips at all.

Well you need a bigger tire! or find something new.

Pure Water
07-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Well you need a bigger tire! or find something new.

Dammit! That sucks because I liked doing tire flips.

Pure Water
07-04-2011, 02:59 PM
What does everyone else think?

shawno
07-04-2011, 03:39 PM
You need a bigger tire. I can imagine you're doing a bicep curl/deadlift quasi thing, not a real tire flip. You can add dumbbells, medballs or car tires inside this tire to make it heavier but you can't change its dimensions.

Tom Mutaffis
07-04-2011, 04:07 PM

What are the dimensions of the tire? (should be written on the sidewall)

Pure Water
07-05-2011, 04:06 PM
You need a bigger tire. I can imagine you're doing a bicep curl/deadlift quasi thing, not a real tire flip. You can add dumbbells, medballs or car tires inside this tire to make it heavier but you can't change its dimensions.

Yap, that's pretty much what I do, just as you described it.

I'll look at the dimensions when I'm in the gym again and reply back.

Bosshogg300
07-06-2011, 07:59 AM
You can go to a local construction company and ask them for one of there pay loader tires and bring that to the gym or leave it at your house if you have an area to flip it that's what I do or you can just load it with weights

Pure Water
07-06-2011, 03:23 PM
You can go to a local construction company and ask them for one of there pay loader tires and bring that to the gym or leave it at your house if you have an area to flip it that's what I do or you can just load it with weights

LOL, I don't know what my gym would say if I tried to give them a tire :D . Also, can't do it at home because I live in an apartment, or else I wouldn't even be going to a gym, I'd just have a gym at home.

Also, haven't gone to the gym yet Tom. Been busy working but I'll get there sometime again this week.

Tom Mutaffis
07-06-2011, 07:42 PM
LOL, I don't know what my gym would say if I tried to give them a tire :D . Also, can't do it at home because I live in an apartment, or else I wouldn't even be going to a gym, I'd just have a gym at home.

Also, haven't gone to the gym yet Tom. Been busy working but I'll get there sometime again this week.

No problem, let me know when you check the dimensions and if you can take a picture as well that would be great.

It may turn out that the tire is better for dragging than flipping - but that can still be a great workout.

Pure Water
07-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Sorry for the looong wait. It took me 3 times to go to the gym and remember to check the tire. Problem is, I didn't see any dimensions on it! I looked on both sides, small and big print and couldn't find it anywhere :(

Pure Water
07-20-2011, 08:44 PM

So ya, like I said above, can't find any dimensions anywhere on this tire at my gym. All I can say is when it's laying flat on the ground and me standing next to it, it comes up to just under my knee. I guess it's simply too small of a tire for me unless I put some weight inside the tire.

There's also a prowler and this plate thing that you can put weights on and drag. I'm thinking of giving those a try.

Tom Mutaffis
07-21-2011, 05:09 AM
So ya, like I said above, can't find any dimensions anywhere on this tire at my gym. All I can say is when it's laying flat on the ground and me standing next to it, it comes up to just under my knee. I guess it's simply too small of a tire for me unless I put some weight inside the tire.

There's also a prowler and this plate thing that you can put weights on and drag. I'm thinking of giving those a try.

If the tire is too small to flip you can use it for dragging, tire drags are a great workout and are a bit different than sled drags.

Would you be able to take a photo of the tire? I could give you an estimate on the weight based on the picture as long as there is a reference point.

Pure Water
08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Does 445/65R22.5 mean anything about the dimensions of the tire?

theBarzeen
08-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Does 445/65R22.5 mean anything about the dimensions of the tire?

445 is the width, 65 is the sidewall, and 22.5 is the rim size....... this tire size doesn't sound like a tractor tire. It sounds like a semi truck tire or float tire..... I know that semi trucks run 22.5" rims, that sidewall is only 65 which isn't huge.... that thing should only be 42" or 44" tall.....

The Power Pit just got a tire that's a good 10" bigger than that ( diameter) but about the same thickness and it's tough to flip for me as well.... great for the 130# high school kids to flip, but at 315# and 6'5" I can't get my chest down enough to push in to the tire..... no deal on tiny tire flips.

Pure Water
08-15-2011, 11:28 AM
445 is the width, 65 is the sidewall, and 22.5 is the rim size....... this tire size doesn't sound like a tractor tire. It sounds like a semi truck tire or float tire..... I know that semi trucks run 22.5" rims, that sidewall is only 65 which isn't huge.... that thing should only be 42" or 44" tall.....

The Power Pit just got a tire that's a good 10" bigger than that ( diameter) but about the same thickness and it's tough to flip for me as well.... great for the 130# high school kids to flip, but at 315# and 6'5" I can't get my chest down enough to push in to the tire..... no deal on tiny tire flips.

Okay, thanks for your help.

shocker4221
08-17-2011, 01:59 AM
I'm 5'6" 220 lbs. What would be a good size or weight tire for me to flip?