PDA

View Full Version : anyone here use metal squat suits for pulling?

jtteg_x
07-03-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm in need of new gear and heard of certain squat suits working perfectly fine for their pulls as well. I squat slightly wider than shoulder width and pull sumo. I been looking at the Metal Pro Squatter, possibly the Ace as a squat/deadlift suit soley cause of my great experience with my metal pro deadlifter and comes stock velcro straps. Suggestions? I will more than likely go one size up (aka "meet fit") to leave room for increase of weight

ScottYard
07-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Most people do this.go with the ace.

Lones Green
07-03-2011, 08:56 AM
My first suit I ever had was a metal pro squatter, I still use it to this day to pull in. No briefs under and it is huge on me. I feel the most comfortable in it though. Here's video, fast forward to about 3 minutes in

efIWxfZBwX8

jtteg_x
07-03-2011, 03:16 PM
whats all this internet/forum talk that you wear it backwards?
Lones, I know you got loose fit but how many pounds you think you got out of it?

Lones Green
07-04-2011, 03:07 PM
whats all this internet/forum talk that you wear it backwards?
Lones, I know you got loose fit but how many pounds you think you got out of it?

I haven't really pulled heavy raw and sumo for a max in forever, but I'd say at the very most 20 or 30 pounds. It keeps my hips a little tighter, but I get most of the benefit from the straps. I got velcro put on them and if I crank them they help me keep my shoulders back.

I wouldn't expect to get a ton out of a deadlift suit. Some guys get a lot, but most don't. 50 pounds would be very very good.

I had a King sumo deadlift suit and I actually like my pro squatter better.

H_M
07-04-2011, 09:45 PM
i pulled in an ace too until it got too small. it was awesome with really tight straps and single ply briefs. was getting about 140lbs.

NickAus
07-05-2011, 04:28 AM
140 is more like it!!

Tom Mutaffis
07-05-2011, 04:38 AM
From what I have seen it looks like the majority of guys who pull sumo use a squat suit rather than a deadlift suit. I have heard about wearing a squat suit backwards if you pull conventional and have even tried it myself, but am not sure if it was any more effective than wearing it normally.

One thing that I would look for is a suit with adjustable velcro straps (assuming that this is allowed in your federation). This will make it easier to get used to the suit and will also be helpful if your body weight changes.