PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone recommend Fitday?

ThomasG
07-03-2011, 05:07 PM
That place is terrible! Horribly designed software and very inconvenient. About a year ago I switched myself and all my clients overt to www.fatsecret.com. Much more user friendly the phone app is much better and the database is 10xbetter.

4g64fiero
07-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Fitday is crap. Their software sucks really bad.

Myfitnesspal.com is way better.

I will check out the link you provided. I am always on the lookout for easier ways to track calories.

ThomasG
07-03-2011, 05:14 PM
How did this whole fitday thing start on here? I wasted a couple years on that site. Now I just scan the barcode on everything and its in my food log, so much easier! The only time I have to custom make a food is if its from an underground company like Atlarge or Trueprotein.

Mark!
07-03-2011, 06:04 PM
In my opinion, it came about when Built was doing her thing over here and was posting about fitday like crazy because back then, in 07, it was pretty much the best site for tracking. However, since newer sites (myfitnesspal being my all time fav, especially with my android, I just scan a barcode and I'm done logging calories) fitday hasn't kept up, their database and entry formats suck, it's just an all around royal pain in the ass to log calories, and hell, logging calories already is a pain in the ass the last thing I need is some sub par programming to make my logging more of a pain.

ThomasG
07-03-2011, 06:31 PM
In my opinion, it came about when Built was doing her thing over here and was posting about fitday like crazy because back then, in 07, it was pretty much the best site for tracking. However, since newer sites (myfitnesspal being my all time fav, especially with my android, I just scan a barcode and I'm done logging calories) fitday hasn't kept up, their database and entry formats suck, it's just an all around royal pain in the ass to log calories, and hell, logging calories already is a pain in the ass the last thing I need is some sub par programming to make my logging more of a pain.

I figured it was something like that. Kinda funny how fitday still seems to be the primary tracker for this forum in 2011.

bamazav
07-03-2011, 06:32 PM
I have tried a bunch of them and always come back to fat secret.

Mark!
07-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I figured it was something like that. Kinda funny how fitday still seems to be the primary tracker for this forum in 2011.

What people don't know CAN hurt them, and I think like most things, it's just been passed down from member to member without others ever checking for something newer and greater than fitday. I've never been able to patiently use fitday though, always hated it.

greemah
07-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I've always used fitday and it seems simple enough.. might check out these other ones but they'll have to be pretty damn good from the get go for me to change

Mark!
07-03-2011, 11:26 PM
I've always used fitday and it seems simple enough.. might check out these other ones but they'll have to be pretty damn good from the get go for me to change

If you like fitday, and actually give one of these other two sites we've listed a shot, you'll be walking around like a male dog in heat.

BallsWideDeep
07-04-2011, 12:29 AM
I'll have to give them a shot.

I tested a search for skinless chicken breast on all three. FitDay (app) was infinitely faster. Hit the first couple letters and it pops up in the drop down list. I can see if you eat lots of stuff from a box or can how a vast database is far superior, but if you eat generic meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, dairy and grains how much do you really need?

That whole user friendliness may be a turn off for me. It's like the people whom prefer "large icons" vs "details" view in Windows. Neither is wrong, but they are totally different people. I like the no nonsense look of the FitDay app. No pictures, no clicking through tabs, small fonts so I don't have to scroll a lot.

fatsecret and fitnesspal seem to be web based only. There is a huge difference between using FitDay web vs app. I could never go back to the web based FitDay.

I still love the idea of the bar code scanning for canned vegetables. I'll have to keep testing it.

SDS
07-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Thanks for posting this. I've been using fitday, and just never really thought to try another website since I had so many years of tracked days there. I've got the myfitnesspal app on my phone now, so I'll try it a few days. Which BC scanner app are you using?

Nevermind....I found the built in one. That's pretty handy.

GazzyG
07-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Thanks from me too, never considered any other site, but yeah, Fitday is slow and clumsy so if there's something faster then I shall use it.

Phaleron
07-06-2011, 01:37 AM
I dig fitday because of the pie charts and macro breakdown, once my nitrean, novus bars, and raw organics are entered it's simple and fast, but I'll try the others.

GreggNJ
07-06-2011, 06:54 AM
I'll second MyFitnessPal.com and the accompanying Android app. As long as I do my part and use it, it works really well - helps keep me honest too!

Behemoth
07-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I've used it for nearly 10 years now so it's mostly just out of habit. I really should make an effort to track with something else because I am constantly hearing it suggested that there are better tracking sites than fitday.

ZAR-FIT
07-06-2011, 01:28 PM
fitday user for 6.5 years now... really helps with contest prep.. I dont really use it when bulking... just to set up a basic bulk diet, then for reference now and then. but definately an everyday thing with contest prep. one less stress, which is huge!!

yayeti
07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
what does your bulk diet look like? how fast do you gain weight on it?

ThomasG
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I've used it for nearly 10 years now so it's mostly just out of habit. I really should make an effort to track with something else because I am constantly hearing it suggested that there are better tracking sites than fitday.

Try it out, and welcome to 2011:hello:

I have no experience with myfitnesspal but now I am intrigued. Anyone have experience with calorie king?

SDS
07-07-2011, 05:45 PM
MyFitnessPal FTW.......

Android app? - check
More foods in database? - check
Barcode scanner? - check
More configurable? - check

I like it.

SCmmaFAN
07-08-2011, 08:11 AM
I always thought that Fitday's online version was slow and had issues on top of a so-so food database. I'm giving Myfitnesspal a shot. I'm on day 2 and I'm liking what I see so far. Fatsecret looked to be good too.

On Fitday, I did like that I could look at about a week's worth of food entries on one web page whereas Myftinesspal seems you have to go back day by day.

SMK41
07-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Anyone tried both myfitnesspal and fatsecret and have a recommendation between the 2?

K-R-M
07-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Are you using the website?

If so, then that's the problem. The software is infinitely better, I hate the website but love the software.

NITF
07-09-2011, 11:41 AM
I've been using dailyburn for awhile to track my diet and workouts. It is a little slow sometimes but seems to meet all of my needs and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Has anyone else used this site and can compare/contrast it with all the other options being discussed?

For those that don't know, dailyburn is just another tracker site. It seems to have a large database, has android apps, bar scanners etc...