PDA

View Full Version : My rant(s) - gym etiquette/attitude, suppliments, etc.

Hguols
07-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Ok, there's a few things on my mind that I just don't get. Granted, I want to say right off the bat, someone has the right to lift/do anything they want to.

Why do some people think they're everyone's coach?
I had some dude go out of his way to tell me how to "refine" my form in preacher curling an 85lb dumbbell. He "corrected" me because I more or less have a 90 degree angle swing, and he thought I should have a 180 degree swing. I was a bit of a smartass and handed him the weight, "Here, show me". He couldn't. Actually, he had trouble swinging a 40lb dumbbell.

Maybe I'm hard headed, but unless someone can actually do better what I can actually do, I find it impossible to listen to them.

Same goes with nutrition. I had some guys insist I should drink expensive protein shakes, preloaders and whatever else they use and I'll get better results.... yet, I just use a generic whey protein, my preloader is a cup of coffee, I've been lifting half the time they have and they tire quicker and lift less than me.

Why do some people brag about what they used to lift, or what someone else lifts?
I'm not looking for pats on the back, but I think I'm doing well on my weights. It seems like I get someone new to spot me on the bench, they always break into a story about how they used to throw up "455lb 5 times 3 years ago", or someone else in the gym we're at that can lift it right now.... I see them on the bench now, and they can't get 225lbs 5 times, and I never run into this person they're talking about.

If this happened one time, I wouldn't even mention it, but seriously, this has happened with 5 different people at the gym I go to.

Liftoffs...
I'm definitely in the minority for thinking this, especially at the gym I go to, but I had some very hardcore spotters when I started lifting pass on to me the same standards. Some of the motto's these guys had were "If you can't take it off the rack, leave it on the bench" and "If I have to help you get it, you didn't get it.". To this day, I don't do liftoffs, even maxing out.... I've seen some people "max out" and they have someone in the middle, both ends, riding the whole way, and claim the lifter got the weight.

No they didn't. It took 4 people to lift it. Its just the person under the bar had the most of the weight.

Powerlifters/Shirt Wearers
I don't have a problem with shirts. I've never wore one, and probably wouldn't, but I don't have a problem with them. Once again, if someone wants to lift that way, have at it. If someone competes and shirts are part of the competition, it makes complete sense to train in one. I've only ran into two "competitive powerlifters" EVER in person. Its at the current gym I go to, and both have left a bad taste in my mouth and it has to do with their attitude.

These guys especially rub me the wrong way because they're pretty much all of the above as to what I've ranted about so far with one other thing - how and what I see them "normally" lift. Ok, I'll believe these guys can lift heavy come showtime, but it irritates me when all I see is them curling 20lb dumbbells, doing mostly stretches, low reps of light weight on machines, "red light" pushing (like 6" reps) and needing a "handoff" for 205lbs on the bench ...and then brag about how massive huge and strong they are.

I'm much more impressed with someone repping 225lbs PROPERLY without being spoon fed the weight than someone hitting 600lbs with 3 working spotters, shirt, and midget reps.

I certainly don't want to give the impression that I'm stereotyping, but from what I've seen, its a poor example of proper lifting.

Mark!
07-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Being hardcore and just stupid are two different things. The amount of pressure put on your shoulders while trying to ROTATE a heavy ass weight off the rack in to the lockout position is something that's just dumb, and can lead to some bad injury. Handoffs aren't needed on every lift, granted, a few guys here are pressing 600lbs, are you saying they're "spoon fed" the weight and that they're not actually doing a credible lift? And I don't know about you but I sure as hell wouldn't want to even fathom the idea of trying to roll out from under 600lbs. And why does it bother you so much? I'd rather take a heavy weight with someone on the sides of me rather than stroking my hardcore ego/attitude and thinking I'll never need a bail out in the event that I fail my lift, that's for damn sure. Just kind of sounds like you need some blinders on when you go to the gym man, or find a different gym.

barryisawinnah
07-03-2011, 11:09 PM
CMNry4PE93Y

Travis Bell
07-04-2011, 05:07 AM
These guys especially rub me the wrong way because they're pretty much all of the above as to what I've ranted about so far with one other thing - how and what I see them "normally" lift. Ok, I'll believe these guys can lift heavy come showtime, but it irritates me when all I see is them curling 20lb dumbbells, doing mostly stretches, low reps of light weight on machines, "red light" pushing (like 6" reps) and needing a "handoff" for 205lbs on the bench ...and then brag about how massive huge and strong they are.

Well good thing you aren't sterotyping.

I think we've had enough of these "rant" threads lately. People should focus more on training :)