PDA

View Full Version : Help with hamstring pull

bluelew
07-03-2011, 09:22 PM
So I'm doing Chad's Juggernaut method and loving it. I'm incorporating speed training via sprinting. Today, my third week of incorporating sprints I warmed up 5 minutes, stretched and proceeded to hit the sprints. On my first one, after about 12 steps I felt like someone had shot me in the hamstring. My wife, who was walking heard me and said I screamed like a girly man. No bruising or discoloration. It hurts the most about 5 inches below my glute- close to the middle of my hamstring. Doing a leg curl motion bending at the knee doesn't hurt. Straight leg and pushing my leg back hurts. I iced it for about an hour. Dull ache. What else should I be doing to promote healing?

powerm64
07-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I just tore my hamstring the first week of April and it is healing well. Keep ice on the leg as much as possible. My leg did not turn purple for a couple of days after the tear. Keep off of the leg as much as possible and keep ice on it as much as possible and you will do just fine. When you start hitting the weights again take it easy and do light weight for reps then ease back into it slowly. I'm back to about 40%-50% on squats and deads after about three months.

bluelew
07-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks bro. Any other advice regarding stretching or massage to prevent scar tissue problems?

Bob
07-04-2011, 10:20 PM
After the initial 2-3 days of icing and compression...
Hi-rep rehab does wonders... (although boring as shit)
100 SLDLs 5 days a week for a couple of months... started light with the bar... then each week added 20 or so...
after each session, iced the hammies... the next morning I would foam roll it..
after 6 weeks, tried a couple of heavy sessions (70-80%).. still didn't feel right...
after 10 weeks, tried a couple of heavy sessions (>90%)... felt great...
after 12 weeks, actually set new 3 and 5 rep PRs...
Hammy was stronger then ever...

I'm a bit older then you.. and had to learn that you can come back too soon... tore mine sprinting with my kid at the track a couple of years ago... tried to come back too heavy and not enough rehab a few weeks later... and tore it again.. got a little smarter the 2nd time and did the hi-rep stuff...