PDA

View Full Version : Geared and Raw strength

muscle_g
07-04-2011, 12:26 PM
I have a question for everyone that lifts geared. Do you lift in your gear year around or in your offseason's do you work on raw strength?

I<3multyply
07-04-2011, 12:47 PM
There's many ways of training. When you say geared lifters do you mean multyply? Many multyply lifters will squat in briefs in the off season. Knee wraps are also gear and many people squat with wraps year round. Now we have things like the slingshot and ram for the bench that can be used year round. It just depends on the lifter.

muscle_g
07-04-2011, 01:15 PM
I lift multi ply, so yes I'm refering to that. In my offseason's I train in loose briefs, and bench mainly raw. I am just looking for ideas as to what others do or reccomend.

mastermonster
07-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I lift multi ply, so yes I'm refering to that. In my offseason's I train in loose briefs, and bench mainly raw. I am just looking for ideas as to what others do or reccomend.

Hey G. I squat almost all year in briefs. Close to a geared meet I start getting in a newer pair that are meet tight. It's a bit of time and effert getting in them each week. Most of the year I train in my older Boss briefs (stretched out from when I weighed 300 (now 253ish). I get them on in about 30 seconds but they give me enough support to keep my hip flexors healthy and pain free. I'll go to my Boss suit the last 6-8 week before a geared meet. Before the shoulder replacement I'd shirt up after raw work (up to 365-405) and do 3 -4 singles. How heavy depending on how close to a meet it was. Since the surgery (about 7 months ago) I've been back in the shirt pretty regular again. I used a Super Ram earlier to transition back to the shirt and still sub it for the shirt on occasions. My deadlift suit usually only gets worn once before a meet. I use a Titan Velocity and it doesn't effect my technique enough to worry about. It takes a bit longer to re-dial the suit for squats, and I've found that shirt benching (for me) requires me to 'stay on top of the skill'. So, I use it more than any other piece of equipment (besides squat briefs). All I do to get ready for a raw meet is come out of the equipment the last workouts to check where I'll open. I use the same technique raw as I do equipped so it's easy to do a raw meet occasionally. I've found I've gotten stronger raw training in gear due to handling the weight overloads. Training this way has given me the most steady gains over the last several years and gives me the least joint pain and down time from joint problems. Consider also that I'm 55 Y.O. and been doing this a long time. A younger guy might find something else works better for him.

kingns
07-04-2011, 02:47 PM
RIght after a meet I do everything raw for a few months. This time around I went belt free also and think it helped a lot strength wise now that I'm back in gear. Training this way really makes my lower back, pecs/shoulders and thighs stronger. Once I pick a meet and am preparing specifically for that I will use my training suit every week and add knee wraps once I get closer. I bench raw the majority of the time even if a meets approaching and so far have still been able to PR in the shirt when the meet comes. As for deadlifts I will use my suit every week once I am pretty close to the meet. I think it is a mistake to use gear year round. I understand if you need to break in or learn your gear there needs to be extra time spent in it, but if you know your gear well and it fits well you'd be better of training raw or with loose gear and actually get stronger.

NickAus
07-05-2011, 09:36 PM
I mix it up year round but like to be comfy with gear so I do plenty in it.

I still do a fair bit raw and also remember all second movements plus assistance is raw anyway.

Brian C
07-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Squats and pulls ill be mostly in briefs, and occassionally ill suit up. Just got back in the shirt for an upcoming meet, but plan on shirting up 2x a month.

ScottYard
07-06-2011, 06:28 PM
What is an off season lol. I did 5 weeks on 5 weeks off.

theBarzeen
07-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I spend more time with reverse bands, briefs only, and raw work in the month or two following a meet..... the farther out a meet is the less full gear work I do. Close to a meet it's all about dialing in form in full gear. Even in the off season though, I'm still in full gear once a month or so.....

JK1
07-08-2011, 10:08 PM
I try to keep it simple (although I don't always do this) year round

squat/deadlift
DE days: squat: use loose 2 ply briefs to squat, 1 ply briefs to deadlift if doing DE deads, 2 ply loose briefs for heavier pulls/ low block pulls, raw for high block pulls

ME Days: squat in loose 2 ply briefs, good mornings raw, deadlifts in tight single ply briefs or tighter 2 ply briefs (not comp tight)

Bench---take a weight in a shirt every 4 weeks.

As I get closer to a meet add in the squat suit. straps down or loose and start working the shirt every other week or 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Straps up on the suit depends on how and where I feel with the squat. If I'm new to the suit, I'll put the straps up earlier to get used to the feel. If I'm used to the suit, I may not put straps up until right before the meet.

everything else is done raw.

Travis Bell
07-09-2011, 05:49 AM
I throw my shirt on every third week religiously. Year round

J Stottlemire
07-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Travis I am interested in getting with you sometime, in the next month with my overkill if you are open to the possibility.

Travis Bell
07-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Travis I am interested in getting with you sometime, in the next month with my overkill if you are open to the possibility.

I do all my shirt work at Westside where I train every Wednsday morning. I'm sure Louie be more than happy to have you come in some time just call him and arrange it.