PDA

View Full Version : Edamame

Scooter
07-05-2011, 07:41 PM
I've been dieting on and off for about 6 years now and never heard about Edamame up until last week. It seems like it would be a great addition to any diet containing good fats, high fiber, and high protein. Is there anything bad about taking this as a snack as a weightlifter or bodybuilder?

BallsWideDeep
07-06-2011, 01:10 PM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_krsnu5cWoz1qa9x1ao1_400.jpg

Really tough to say- isoflavone concentration in soy proteins is really variable. Apparently a lot of soy protein concentrates are relatively low in isoflavones.. came across an interesting chart here:

(to cite: (This information was distributed as part of a presentation at the American Dietetic Association 80th Annual Meeting and Exhibition, held October 27-30, 1997, in Boston, Massachusetts, by James W. Anderson, M.D. Professor of Medicine and Clinical Nutrition University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY. Phone 606-281-4954; fax 606-233-3832, e-mail: jwandersmd@aol.com)

Food, then isoflavone mg/gram of protein.

Mature soybeans, uncooked 5.1
Roasted soybeans 5.5
Soy flour 5.5
Textured soy protein, dry 5.2
Green soybeans,uncooked 3.3
Soy milk 2
Tempeh, uncooked 3.1
Tofu, uncooked 2.1
Soy isolate, dry 2.2
Soy concentrate, dry 0.3

I don't have a lot of data on what is considered a therapeutically active concentration of isoflavones, though trials on post-menopausal women use anywhere from 40 to 100mg/day. Which, roughly, equates to 1-2mg/kg.

Assuming these crisps contain soy isolate, I'd opt to stay at half the low range of that dosage, so 0.5mg/kg... or in my case, anything less than ~50 mg of isoflavones a day is probably safe.. or total soy intake of 25 grams of isolate.

And that would be every day.

Scooter
07-06-2011, 04:28 PM
enough said...