PDA

View Full Version : Tire Flipping, sled pulls, log press ect

ffkjj
07-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Its really hard for me to hit the gym in the summer. I just can't get my self to go when its sunny and 90 degrees out:) So below I listed what I have been doing.

My main goal is strength, then I hope with my diet I do slim down some and lose a little BF.

Can doing what I do below replace everything you can do in the gym? Will I gain as much strength?
I hate doing cardio so this helps with my endurance. I also feel a lot better after doing this since most of the time its a entire body workout.

Here is my list. I try to mix it up 4-5 days a week.
Sled pull (old mattress with rocks on it)
Chest pull with the sled
I also pull the sled towards me using just my arms.
I overhead press a log
Run with a stump (kind of like a african stone)
Throw logs like they do kegs on the strongest man
Flip a tire
Front squats with a log

Im trying to make something to do farmers walk and a tree trunk to flip like they do poles on the strongest man.

While most of these items do not feel as heavy as the weights I lift in the gym they are kind of awkward so it uses a lot of my mid section to keeps things square.

Any other ideas?

patricky
07-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Hmmmm, doesn't sound very practical.
If you can get it to work it's better than nothing.

ffkjj
07-07-2011, 04:32 AM
I pushed my self pretty hard last night.

I have a 100 foot course I use.
I flipped tires
pulled a sled
threw logs
did curls with a log lol
did squats
a few sprints

I normally do 3 sets of each

My body is pretty freaking sore today, mainly my hands. I would assume my grip will get very good.

I do have some free weights so I may do what Im doing and mix in some free weight workout to get certain areas I think im lacking

Tom Mutaffis
07-07-2011, 05:00 AM
If your main goal is strength then the level of intensity / resistance would be the most important factor. How heavy is the log, sled, and stone that you are using?

For metabolic training and improving body composition the workout that you described should be quite effective.

ffkjj
07-07-2011, 07:40 AM
If your main goal is strength then the level of intensity / resistance would be the most important factor. How heavy is the log, sled, and stone that you are using?

For metabolic training and improving body composition the workout that you described should be quite effective.

To tell you the truth I have no idea how heavy any of the items are. I will have to weight them some day.

I split a lot of wood and had a bunch of scrap laying around. I just walked around and picked up stuff that I thought I could throw, barley carry, press ect.

I plan on adding weight to some of the items. I flipped the tire 300 feet and could have went further. I was tired but far from failure.

Tom Mutaffis
07-08-2011, 04:05 AM
To tell you the truth I have no idea how heavy any of the items are. I will have to weight them some day.

I split a lot of wood and had a bunch of scrap laying around. I just walked around and picked up stuff that I thought I could throw, barley carry, press ect.

I plan on adding weight to some of the items. I flipped the tire 300 feet and could have went further. I was tired but far from failure.

If you flipped the tire for 300' and your goal is strength then you need a heavier tire. One solution might be to stuff regular car/truck tires inside of the large tire - this will usually add anywhere from 70-100 lbs depending on how many you can fit in there.

Stone carry is also more of a conditioning movement rather than a 'strength' exercise, but if you use a heavy enough stone it can still be quite taxing on your lower body.

ffkjj
07-08-2011, 05:41 AM
If you flipped the tire for 300' and your goal is strength then you need a heavier tire. One solution might be to stuff regular car/truck tires inside of the large tire - this will usually add anywhere from 70-100 lbs depending on how many you can fit in there.

Stone carry is also more of a conditioning movement rather than a 'strength' exercise, but if you use a heavy enough stone it can still be quite taxing on your lower body.

I have some truck tires im going to throw in my tractor tire to up the weight.

thanks