PDA

View Full Version : Briefs recommendation and sizing

StLRPh
07-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I've been using powerpants for hip support and they're worn out. Does anyone have any recommendations for a pair of briefs? Or possible a squat suit?

I wear a 38 in Powerpants, which was always loose on me.

I'd use them for squats and pulls for hip protection/support. Even with a narrow stance my hips can't take much squatting. I will also use them for some strongman events, if they they don't get in the way.

I've been looking at the various Inzer briefs and also some of the Metal ones. Elite has Metal Pro Briefs for sale for $125 and if they'll last a while I'd be willing to spend that much.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

matt

Dank27
07-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Call Rudy at overkill. He will make them specific to your needs.

NickAus
07-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Rudy will make them too tight for your needs trust me.

Not sure of size but metal pros would suit you.

My hips were 42 and I got 42s from memory.

StLRPh
07-09-2011, 09:49 AM
thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming

dammstrate
07-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Your question is a common one, but you should supply some more info for folks to help you.
If you compete, you need to know what fed to know what briefs/suit to get. Single ply? Double ply?
Are you thick and squatty, or taller and leaner (makes a difference for sure).

Boss, Preds, Overkill, Metal Ace Pro, Metal Pro are all double ply and work differently (at least for me)
Boss - clamps you leg hard, too much gut room if you are lean
Preds - good for very wide stance, about 18 months or so ago they changed their pattern to be better
suited for leaner guys, grid stich option can add 100lbs easy the support (can be too much)
Metal Ace Pro - has long legs, generally quite comfortable, but need to size off the leg, they have a LOT
of gut room in them, for wide stance
Metal Pro - not as stout as the Aces, but a solid double ply brief
Overkill - I think best on the market, but quite honestly, not for the first time user

I have found a Metal viking is a good intermediate brief. Not up the ones above, but clearly good support
and easy to size and use.

For suits, the best single ply suit is probably the Titan Super Centurion. Order from Ken Anderson.

blong
07-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I would think for your wants and needs, you have a pair of the best briefs out there. Hard to beat a good pair of power pants just to keep your hips healthy. I thiink that a double ply brief may be to stiff for your needs. Why not just get the briefs taken in by a seamstress in then hip area and leave the waist where it is to get on and off easy? Usually any ordinary seamstress that has car upholstery thread can take care of it pretty cheap. But if you decide to go with double ply briefs I think Preds and Overkill are the best right now.

JK1
07-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Did you use regular power pants or the "hardcore" power pants made from that material? If you were using regular power pants, go the House of Pain website and order a pair of "hardcore" power pants that fit you. They will stretch over time, but nothing like regular power pants.

JK1
07-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Your question is a common one, but you should supply some more info for folks to help you.
If you compete, you need to know what fed to know what briefs/suit to get. Single ply? Double ply?
Are you thick and squatty, or taller and leaner (makes a difference for sure).

Boss, Preds, Overkill, Metal Ace Pro, Metal Pro are all double ply and work differently (at least for me)
Boss - clamps you leg hard, too much gut room if you are lean
Preds - good for very wide stance, about 18 months or so ago they changed their pattern to be better
suited for leaner guys, grid stich option can add 100lbs easy the support (can be too much)
Metal Ace Pro - has long legs, generally quite comfortable, but need to size off the leg, they have a LOT
of gut room in them, for wide stance
Metal Pro - not as stout as the Aces, but a solid double ply brief
Overkill - I think best on the market, but quite honestly, not for the first time user

I have found a Metal viking is a good intermediate brief. Not up the ones above, but clearly good support
and easy to size and use.

For suits, the best single ply suit is probably the Titan Super Centurion. Order from Ken Anderson.

This is a great post.. I'd like to add a few things:

For the boss briefs--the old ones to me are better. They clamp your legs but it wasn't unbearable. The new ones I got a pair without the side panel (We took a bigger pair and sewed them up to fit me). It took almost 700 to solidly hit depth in those things. They are reasonable briefs, but honestly too much for me. The trick with boss briefs in my experience if you can't hit depth in them is to shorten the legs and then if you still can't hit depth, turn your feet out. This is a double edged sword though because turning your feet out will take away from hip power. You will have to experiment a bit to find what is ideal for you. If you are a wide stanced squatter who squats with your feet out past 45 degrees, I think these breifs will be very good for you.

I am short and fat, and am getting some great results from a pair of predators. The legs on these things are ridiculously long, I have to have them shortened 2 inches. But even in a somewhat lose pair, they just seem to be "right" for me. I've got a big gut, but if you pull them on by rolling them on a bar, they top seems to stretch to accomodate guts.

I have never used metal briefs, so I can't comment.

In terms of single ply briefs.

Power pants: these are really glorified underarmor to me. They will give you a little hip support,but they stretch out fast. If you are a casual lifter, they are good briefs to get because of the price and they do provide some support

"Hardcore" powerpants. These are much, much better briefs in my opinion than the regular power pants. They are the same cut, just a different material. they will pinch your legs, but not too bad.

Titan centurion briefs---these are the briefs to get in my opinion if you are a single ply power lifter. Leg length is very important for these briefs though. I have to shorten the legs on the ones I use by an inch--I'm a big guy with a long torso and short big legs. My wife had to actually order a pair with longer legs for her to get them to work correctly. She's a lean woman (140 lbs at 5'9ish) with a short torso and long legs. Keep that in mind for your body shape.

The same thing holds true for the super centurion squat suit, so keep that in mind.

Ken Anderson is the go-to person for anything Titan. If Ken doesn't have it, he can get it, and if he cant get it, Titan doesn't make it.

If you are ordering Inzer, go to Rick at House of Pain. Their customer service is much, much better than Inzer directly and you'll actually get the order that you placed, not 3 things the wrong size shape and type.

StLRPh
07-10-2011, 06:55 AM
thanks for the all the info guys, I'm really leaning towards the Titan Centurions. I'm tall and lean (6'4" and 220-230lb). I'm squat and pull with a narrow stance but prefer a wider one (had to move in b/c of my hips). Not sure if I'll ever do a PL competition but I do have at least one strongman show this year, maybe 2.

For strongman we can wear suits if we want to should I get the suit and just not use the straps?

theBarzeen
07-10-2011, 08:40 AM
thanks for the all the info guys, I'm really leaning towards the Titan Centurions. I'm tall and lean (6'4" and 220-230lb). I'm squat and pull with a narrow stance but prefer a wider one (had to move in b/c of my hips). Not sure if I'll ever do a PL competition but I do have at least one strongman show this year, maybe 2.

For strongman we can wear suits if we want to should I get the suit and just not use the straps?

That's probably the best idea for your situation...... Call Rudy or Ken Anderson and ask for a poly suit that's a little loose. If I remember right, strongman is single ply and no velcro, but you should check in to that..... Just keep the straps down, when you don't need all the support.....

Rob Luyando
07-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Rudy will make them too tight for your needs trust me.

Not sure of size but metal pros would suit you.

My hips were 42 and I got 42s from memory.

Your wrong! If you take proper measurements and make specific request Rudy will tailer the Briefs to the lifters needs. Yes I am a sponsored lifter so I get all my gear free but everyone in my crew pays for their equipment and get the equipment to meet their needs with no issues!

NickAus
07-10-2011, 09:24 PM
You are wrong!

Everyone knows he makes his gear super tight.

The op would find it tight even if it was what Rudy called loose.

dammstrate
07-10-2011, 10:00 PM
In the upcoming knock down, drag out fight between Rob and Nick......I pick Rob. :)

Although, Rudy DOES make stuff WAY tighter than the new/intermediate user would want to have.
The best stuff around, but not for the faint of heart or lack of balls.

DAMMSTRATE!

JK1
07-10-2011, 10:40 PM
In the upcoming knock down, drag out fight between Rob and Nick......I pick Rob. :)

Although, Rudy DOES make stuff WAY tighter than the new/intermediate user would want to have.
The best stuff around, but not for the faint of heart or lack of balls.

DAMMSTRATE!

Yeah, two cupcakes and a reeces cup says Rob has this one.

I've never used overkill and only have seen a couple pieces of the equipment. If it is made that tight, why not stretch it a litttle bit? That seems like the logical thing to do.

NickAus
07-11-2011, 02:33 AM
I had some briefs which i asked to be made loose sent back and "loosened right up" and they are still the tightest briefs I've had.

I am almost certain they would be tighter than what he wants.

It is great gear 100% but IMO it's not what he's after and will get frustrated trying to use it.

You guys may be out of pocket with those bets :)

StLRPh
07-11-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm almost positive I'm going to get the Titan Centurion suit that's for sale:
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?144063-PL-equipment-FS-FT-Metal-amp-Titan-bench-shirts-and-suits&p=2490336#post2490336

It's a 42 wide-stance, which is what I'd like and since it's used it will broken in (a little) and cheaper

Rob Luyando
07-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Rudy has altered all my guys suits & shirts exactly as they requested. And I believe the great Shawn Lattimer once said if its not tight its not right. As for a mach between me and the youngster I wouldn't even entertain that thought until he can hang at the kitchen table with me for the first hour.

StormTheBeach
07-12-2011, 10:21 AM
I just bought my first pair of briefs. I went with the new metal Jack Briefs. I have put on a pair of the Ace's before and it felt like they were going to rip my balls off... in the most awesome way possible. I am hoping the Jacks will finish the job.

Seriously though, I got to watch a couple of the Elitefts guys use them at the LTT seminar, they looked ridiculous. Anyone have any experience with them yet?

theBarzeen
07-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I agree that Overkill gear is ..... overkill...... for most lifters if it's worn tight. ( but the best out there if you have the stones to work it). But if you ask for a loose single ply then you'll get it. And anyone can work the gear if they work at it. My wife competes as a 132#, has hit 400+ in the gym, and just hit 400 in briefs in the gym wearing a TIGHT 2-ply Overkill...... if she can do it, so can you.

I still say any Titan or Overkill poly suit..... personally I like starting guys in a loose 2-ply, they last longer than single and can be worked harder when you are ready. Just keep the straps down or use something like a frantz or crain brief under it....... speaking of which, if you are really just looking for something to work out in...... call Frantz sports and get a 2-ply..... the single ply is like under-armor.

StLRPh
07-12-2011, 06:20 PM
I ended up with a used Titan Super Centurion squat suit. I talked to someone at Anderson powerlifting and after telling her my measurements she said it'd fit in the hips and be loose in the legs, which for what I want sounds good.