PDA

View Full Version : focusing on a big bench

Bosshogg300
07-09-2011, 08:01 AM
I am in the process of coming back from an injury and am focusing on my bench mainly and squats and am not deadlifting because of it irritating my injury and fear of putting my progress back, I am doing a westside routine and I really want to buckle down on bench and put up some new pr's, so this is what my bench routine looks like and i was wondering if I could get any suggestions on it and if I should tweak anything or add anything I might be missing

DE UPPER
Speed bench 9x3 60-70% of 1rm rotating three grips
Low lockouts or cg bench or db press 4x5
weighted dips or non weighted 3x10
crossbody extensions or rolling db extensions 4x10
Rear laterals or behind neck pulldowns 4x10
latpulls or pull ups 4x10
prehab pushdowns 3x20

ME BENCH
floor preas, board press with 1-3 boards,reg bench every fourth week,
cg inclines, inclines, close grip
modified db extensions or skullcrushers 4x10
military press 4x6
Cable or tbar rows 3x10
Prehab pushdowns 3x20

Travis Bell
07-09-2011, 09:16 AM
60% should be your highest percentage for DE work. 70 is far too heavy

Bosshogg300
07-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Oh I thought for raw lifters you were suppose to cycle 60-70% and for geared lifters you were suppose to cycle 50-60%, and I want to add one more thing I didn't mention earlier I am going to cycle each week for max upper main lifts by doing full rom lifts and then the following week partial

JK1
07-09-2011, 10:45 PM
work your lats more. don't get caught up in the boards, use them to work specific weak points.

Travis Bell
07-10-2011, 04:33 AM
Oh I thought for raw lifters you were suppose to cycle 60-70% and for geared lifters you were suppose to cycle 50-60%, and I want to add one more thing I didn't mention earlier I am going to cycle each week for max upper main lifts by doing full rom lifts and then the following week partial

That's for squatting

Cary Pond
07-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Curious as to what type of injury you're coming back from. I too am in a similar situation where I focus on bench only due to a total hip replacement. The Dr. said no more squatting or deadlifting. So I focus on bench and upper body movements only.

My routine goes something like this

Day 1 ME bench, triceps, heavy shoulders

Day 2 Back and Biceps 12 set on back 3-4 sets biceps

Day 3 Speed bench, triceps, light shoulders

This is more of a Push-Pull set up. Good luck setting up your routine

Cary

Bosshogg300
07-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Ok thanks travis, and I am using the boards just for my sticking point off the chest, and the type of injury I am coming back from is costochondritis and a pelvic girdle strain and I am trying to keep the squat in but just have to take it easy with it and deads are out of the question for now and bench is what I want to improve and blow mg previous pr out of the water

ScottYard
07-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I would drop the low board work on speed day and save that for me day. Recovery will be better.

Bosshogg300
07-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Ok thanks Scott ill do that would it be better for me to move any of the other supp work ir just the low lockouts on the DE bench day