PDA

View Full Version : hybrid powerlifting and body building?

jtteg_x
07-11-2011, 12:18 AM
I remember awhile back there was a member (Heavy Bomber?) who followed a 'power building' routine and he had some solid numbers and a great physique. I always have been following Westside method training. I want to "sculp" my body whatever that may mean to you. However, I do want to keep progressing on my equipped bench/deadlift (sorry, I don't compete squat but do train it). I understand I will be sacraficing my progress to achieve a better physique and I am ok with that as this is only temporary. What's the best way to approach my training format? I train 3 days per week with 1 day apart. Sometimes I will get in 4 days if I'm fully recovered (I have a demanding work schedule).

Tom Mutaffis
07-11-2011, 05:24 AM
I remember awhile back there was a member (Heavy Bomber?) who followed a 'power building' routine and he had some solid numbers and a great physique. I always have been following Westside method training. I want to "sculp" my body whatever that may mean to you. However, I do want to keep progressing on my equipped bench/deadlift (sorry, I don't compete squat but do train it). I understand I will be sacraficing my progress to achieve a better physique and I am ok with that as this is only temporary. What's the best way to approach my training format? I train 3 days per week with 1 day apart. Sometimes I will get in 4 days if I'm fully recovered (I have a demanding work schedule).

I would start off your workout with your powerlifting training and then instead of accessory work simply go through a 'bodybuilidng' workout. If you are training Westside and looking to follow a 3-day split then you could do something like this:

Monday:
- ME or DE Deadlift
- Rows (3-5 sets)
- Chins (3-5 sets)
- Biceps (5-8 sets)

Wednesday:
- ME or DE Bench
- Triceps (5-8 sets)
- Shoulders (5-8 sets)

Friday:
- Squats (3-5 sets)
- SLDL (3-5 sets)
- Machine Work (3-8 sets)
- Calves
- Abs / Low Back

StLRPh
07-11-2011, 08:46 AM
This is his old journal:
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?96953-PowerBuilding-HB-Style&highlight=powerbuilding

and his website:
http://www.heavybomber.com/

If you haven't already seen these it might be helpful. Also, didn't Chris Mason do a Westside hypertrophy article recently?