PDA

View Full Version : Rope conditinong.

ThomasG
07-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Does anyone have a link to a good article? I can't fine one. I'm pretty lost on the length and diameter needed. The largest stores around here have are 3/8th and I might be able to find 1".

barryisawinnah
07-12-2011, 03:18 PM
I found 50ft of 2" manilla on ebay a few months ago for around 100 shipped. I would think you would want at least 50ft, but the 2" is pretty beastly. Could get away with 1.5" IMO

As you can see in the pic below, 50ft isn't really that long.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n551/barryisawinnah/rope.jpg

Travis Bell
07-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah 1" isn't going to be very big unless you are working with a lot of women

We never use it for conditioning at Westside. We use it for shoulder health and mobility. That's about it.

thecityalive
07-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Perfect thread for what just happened to me recently.

I, too, was looking for ropes for battling ropes and learned that fire hoses work just as well. Granted a 1.5" rope is about 120+shipping and as a college student, I tend to be quite economic, so I figured I could find an alternative.

THEY EXIST FOR FREE

I saw that you can substitute the rope for a fire hose, duct tape the ends to make handles, and you have yourself a DIY battling rope set up.

All I did was contact a local fire department (took me a few tries before I found one that would just give them out) and they were more than happy enough to let me have them. Fire departments regularly test and replace their hoses, so they are almost always getting new ones to replace the old ones. Just ask for hoses they don't need or ones that don't work any more (damage, battered, etc) and they will give them to you.

The fire department I went to gave me two 50' hoses for free. Keep in mind that they aren't shaped in a perfect round like a rope, but it's the weight you want.

I tested out my hose <lol> last Saturday for 6 rounds and got an amazing work out in.

If you want a bad ass freebie, call up a fire department.

Travis Bell
07-12-2011, 06:57 PM
That's a good idea! Great tip

ThomasG
07-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Perfect thread for what just happened to me recently.

I, too, was looking for ropes for battling ropes and learned that fire hoses work just as well. Granted a 1.5" rope is about 120+shipping and as a college student, I tend to be quite economic, so I figured I could find an alternative.

THEY EXIST FOR FREE

I saw that you can substitute the rope for a fire hose, duct tape the ends to make handles, and you have yourself a DIY battling rope set up.

All I did was contact a local fire department (took me a few tries before I found one that would just give them out) and they were more than happy enough to let me have them. Fire departments regularly test and replace their hoses, so they are almost always getting new ones to replace the old ones. Just ask for hoses they don't need or ones that don't work any more (damage, battered, etc) and they will give them to you.

The fire department I went to gave me two 50' hoses for free. Keep in mind that they aren't shaped in a perfect round like a rope, but it's the weight you want.

I tested out my hose <lol> last Saturday for 6 rounds and got an amazing work out in.

If you want a bad ass freebie, call up a fire department.

Thanks!!

I subconsciously posted this in the General sports supplements thinking it was the old GPP section lol.

mastermonster
07-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah 1" isn't going to be very big unless you are working with a lot of women

We never use it for conditioning at Westside. We use it for shoulder health and mobility. That's about it.

Same here. For shoulder pre-hab and mobility. I don't have the rope. I use a tow chain around a basketball goal post in my yard for the base. It's a 16 foot chain so I have 8 feet per hand. The chain is plenty heavy for what I use it for with just 8 ft. I think it's 3/8 inch chain. It's about 30.00 at Lowe's.

ScottYard
07-13-2011, 04:13 PM
How long is a round when you do six of them. I might look into these.

thecityalive
07-13-2011, 07:56 PM
My rounds last from 1 to 2 minutes, alternating movements every 20 seconds.

PhxdB
07-14-2011, 04:37 PM
What, exactly, do yo do for rope conditioning?