PDA

View Full Version : Energy Gel/Goo from WBB?

BigRalph
07-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Any chance that WBB/ALN will carry a energy gel or goo in the near future?

Still new here, 4th post and I know I'm already on thin ice, but...I really like Nitrean. It's why I started reading this forum. I also like to run. Before I run, on non lift days, I use a gu or clif shot. On lift days, I eat a medium pre-wom, then after lifting I have a 100 cal gu immediately before my aerobics. Clif shots aren't sold anywhere in my area and gu is only carried at Vitamin Shoppe, which is usually way overpriced. It would be helpful if I could order everything from here.

Thanks.

Behemoth
07-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Any chance that WBB/ALN will carry a energy gel or goo in the near future?

Still new here, 4th post and I know I'm already on thin ice, but...I really like Nitrean. It's why I started reading this forum. I also like to run. Before I run, on non lift days, I use a gu or clif shot. On lift days, I eat a medium pre-wom, then after lifting I have a 100 cal gu immediately before my aerobics. Clif shots aren't sold anywhere in my area and gu is only carried at Vitamin Shoppe, which is usually way overpriced. It would be helpful if I could order everything from here.

Thanks.

I got a sample of a protein goo from I believe muscle pharm once. I ate it because it was free... but really there's no point of a "goo" other than it being a novelty and selling for that reason alone. I'd just continue to slam nitrean shakes or scarf some novus bars if I were you.

Alex.V
07-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Rory, he's talking about carbohydrate gels for runs, not protein gu. Novus bars and protein shakes won't do a damn thing in those cases- hammer gels, gus, etc. are excellent, and exactly what you need.

Ralph, unlikely they will (though you never know!). Gels are pretty specific to endurance athletes, as they're basically pure sugar and sodium/potassium/caffeine (sometimes) in a palatable, easy to carry form. At Large is much more about strength and power athletes. There are a few good sites to get them from online that ship them cheap. Then again, have you scanned your local mega grocery stores? I pick them up at Kroger pretty cheap.

chevelle2291
07-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Rory, he's talking about carbohydrate gels for runs, not protein gu. Novus bars and protein shakes won't do a damn thing in those cases- hammer gels, gus, etc. are excellent, and exactly what you need.

Ralph, unlikely they will (though you never know!). Gels are pretty specific to endurance athletes, as they're basically pure sugar and sodium/potassium/caffeine (sometimes) in a palatable, easy to carry form. At Large is much more about strength and power athletes. There are a few good sites to get them from online that ship them cheap. Then again, have you scanned your local mega grocery stores? I pick them up at Kroger pretty cheap.

That hammer gel shit always felt nasty to me. I hate gooey shit.

But those Jelly Belly Sport Beans......mother of god.................

Alex.V
07-14-2011, 08:47 AM
That hammer gel shit always felt nasty to me. I hate gooey shit.

But those Jelly Belly Sport Beans......mother of god.................

Try the vanilla gels.. they're like cake frosting.

chevelle2291
07-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Try the vanilla gels.. they're like cake frosting.

It's more of a texture thing. I hate goo. Yuck.

You ever tried your hand in road bike racing? I have a feeling you'd do very well as a sprinter.

Alex.V
07-14-2011, 10:16 AM
It's more of a texture thing. I hate goo. Yuck.

You ever tried your hand in road bike racing? I have a feeling you'd do very well as a sprinter.

Thinking about it.... My bike is pretty strong so far- certainly my strongest of the 3 tri sports. Huge cycling fan.... you?

chevelle2291
07-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Thinking about it.... My bike is pretty strong so far- certainly my strongest of the 3 tri sports. Huge cycling fan.... you?

Raced the Chicago scene as a cat 4/5 while in high school. Dropped it when I went to college, partly because I got way too small, partly because of the money.

VERY fun sport, but incredibly expensive. Was never horribly accomplished, but probably woulda made my way to Cat 3 in time. I'd highly recommend it. It's much more competitive than what I've seen with other endurance sports.

Behemoth
07-14-2011, 10:54 AM

Gotcha. Thought he was talking about this crap
http://musclepharm.com/free-musclegel.html

Alex.V
07-14-2011, 10:57 AM
You gotta be kidding me, I didn't even know they made that... ha! In THAT case, I'd agree with you 100%.

...Though... maybe as an anticatabolic on an ultra long run....

Chevelle- hit ya on up PM. :)

chevelle2291
07-14-2011, 12:36 PM
You gotta be kidding me, I didn't even know they made that... ha! In THAT case, I'd agree with you 100%.

...Though... maybe as an anticatabolic on an ultra long run....

Chevelle- hit ya on up PM. :)

Wanna send that again. My inbox was full.

krazylarry
07-14-2011, 12:40 PM
If it's basically just sugar, there should be a million options, hell everything sold at 7/11 is all sugar.
I would just cut out the middle man and eat frosting, just like when I was a kid. See mom, I'm not fat and lazy, I'm just a long distance runner carbing up before I run...10 years later.

Alex.V
07-14-2011, 12:58 PM
If it's basically just sugar, there should be a million options, hell everything sold at 7/11 is all sugar.
I would just cut out the middle man and eat frosting, just like when I was a kid. See mom, I'm not fat and lazy, I'm just a long distance runner carbing up before I run...10 years later.

Man, you have no idea how much fun it is carbing up before a long workout... I got a four hour brick workout scheduled for this weekend, and I'm already planning out how many donuts and types of cake I can eat the night before.

Still, the electrolytes are what set gels apart,... and the convenience factor. You know, chris, if you're reading this.. single serving protein/carb drinks tend to be pricey, but there's gotta be a few packaging options that could make them worthwhile.

Chevelle- will do.

chevelle2291
07-14-2011, 01:02 PM

When I was cycling all the time I could eat whatever the fuck I wanted every single day, and still LOSE weight lol.

But then again, I was spending 3-6 hours on the bike pretty much every day.

BigRalph
07-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Thought this thread died a tragic early death...

Yeah, that monster protein crap looked bad. And the carbs before a run, easy. The carbs during a run, not so much. You ever tried to eat a granola bar or heck anything while running? The clif shots even have this neat laynard on them that keep you from littering the top as you rip it off with your teeth. I actually tried a couple different protein items before running and protein is just way too heavy on my stomach.

I've looked in the bigger grocery stores and target, they are getting better no protein, but no dice on endurance stuff.

chevelle2291
07-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Thought this thread died a tragic early death...

Yeah, that monster protein crap looked bad. And the carbs before a run, easy. The carbs during a run, not so much. You ever tried to eat a granola bar or heck anything while running? The clif shots even have this neat laynard on them that keep you from littering the top as you rip it off with your teeth. I actually tried a couple different protein items before running and protein is just way too heavy on my stomach.

I've looked in the bigger grocery stores and target, they are getting better no protein, but no dice on endurance stuff.

Jelly Belly Sport Beans. The best thing.