PDA

View Full Version : Squat critique please

StLRPh
07-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Any comments would be appreciated, thanks in advance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmX7ftgamQc

joey54
07-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Some may not agree, but you can go deeper. Overall not bad. Maybe get your elbows more under the bar.

StLRPh
07-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Some may not agree, but you can go deeper. Overall not bad. Maybe get your elbows more under the bar.

I totally agree with that. I swear it feels like I'm about to hit the floor :confused:

kingns
07-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Looks pretty good for your proportions. You are very lanky for squatting. Its gonna be hard to sit back onto glutes and hams that arent that developed. I couldnt see from the front but try forcing your knees out to help get you knees over your ankles. Your first rep looked about to depth but you can go a little deeper. You are doing a good job of keeping your arch so try to only go as low as you can while maintaining that and try to progressively get a little deeper. I would suggest 1. Keep squatting for reps like that to build your legs and try to improve form. 2. Do your assistance stuff to build muscle for your legs. 5x10 for leg presses, lunges, front squats, or even back squats.

Off Road
07-15-2011, 11:34 AM
I totally agree with that. I swear it feels like I'm about to hit the floor :confused:You've got some long legs. It would take a lot to reach the floor - lol

Sean S
07-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Overall, it's not too bad. I think a little forward knee travel is OK, but it looks to me like yours is a little too much. If you stop the video when you are ~halfway down, your knees have a modest amount of forward travel that would be fine. If they didn't go any further forward it would be fine, but they continue to go forward to reach depth. I think this leaves you in a less than ideal position in the hole. I also have relatively long legs for my height, so I really have to focus on pushing the knees out very hard to keep my knees from going too far forward when I SQ. This will also engage the glutes and hamstrings more, which is a good thing. Set your knee position on the intial part of the descent and then get the rest of the way down by pushing your knees out hard and sitting back and between your legs.

StLRPh
07-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Looks pretty good for your proportions. You are very lanky for squatting. Its gonna be hard to sit back onto glutes and hams that arent that developed. I couldnt see from the front but try forcing your knees out to help get you knees over your ankles. Your first rep looked about to depth but you can go a little deeper. You are doing a good job of keeping your arch so try to only go as low as you can while maintaining that and try to progressively get a little deeper. I would suggest 1. Keep squatting for reps like that to build your legs and try to improve form. 2. Do your assistance stuff to build muscle for your legs. 5x10 for leg presses, lunges, front squats, or even back squats.

You should have seen me when I weighed 60lbs less than I do now, it wasn't pretty and thanks for the info and feedback.

You've got some long legs. It would take a lot to reach the floor - lol
I've measured it in the past and the bar needs to go about 36 inches for a full depth squat for me :tuttut:

StLRPh
07-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Overall, it's not too bad. I think a little forward knee travel is OK, but it looks to me like yours is a little too much. If you stop the video when you are ~halfway down, your knees have a modest amount of forward travel that would be fine. If they didn't go any further forward it would be fine, but they continue to go forward to reach depth. I think this leaves you in a less than ideal position in the hole. I also have relatively long legs for my height, so I really have to focus on pushing the knees out very hard to keep my knees from going too far forward when I SQ. This will also engage the glutes and hamstrings more, which is a good thing. Set your knee position on the intial part of the descent and then get the rest of the way down by pushing your knees out hard and sitting back and between your legs.

thanks Sean, definitely something I need to work on and you're right I lose all my power in the last 4 to 6 inches

loganb
07-15-2011, 12:04 PM
In my opinion, from what I could see, I would lower the bar a little on your back, which would also help you sit back a little more. This would also help you stay on your heals rather than toes. You could possible try some front squats. These could help you with that tendency to want to move forward.

Again this is my opinion from what I could see.

StLRPh
07-15-2011, 12:21 PM
good tip Logan. I've always done pretty much Olympic style squats. Definitely work on that as well

mastermonster
07-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Good tips here. Your 1st rep is good depth from what I can see. Your lower back is fresh on the early reps. What I think is happening is that the lower back is fatigueing as the reps mount up. As this happens you will tend to bend a little forward; causing your knees to drift forward a little and the hip to tilt up (making hitting depth more deficult). Continueing to squat and doing some isolated low back work will help with that. Overall very good. P.S. I like your power rack. We have the same one.

StLRPh
07-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Good tips here. Your 1st rep is good depth from what I can see. Your lower back is fresh on the early reps. What I think is happening is that the lower back is fatigueing as the reps mount up. As this happens you will tend to bend a little forward; causing your knees to drift forward a little and the hip to tilt up (making hitting depth more deficult). Continueing to squat and doing some isolated low back work will help with that. Overall very good. P.S. I like your power rack. We have the same one.

thanks buddy. I actually bought the rack a few years ago because you recommended it to me :)

ScottYard
07-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Get your elbow s under the bar. Try to pull them infront of your body.

StLRPh
07-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks Scott, so far:
1. push your knees out
2. elbows under the bar
3. go a bit deeper
4. try to do more of a low bar setup
5. more reps

I really appreciate the feedback guys, keep it coming.

thecityalive
07-15-2011, 03:17 PM
ATG!

Speading your chest may help get your elbows under the bar better.

theBarzeen
07-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Good advice already....... I could add that you could try getting a little more bounce out of the hole. It seems like you are staying tight ( good) and controlling the descent (good)..... but either tight hips or low back, or just a mental block is keeping you from hitting the hole and getting any speed out of it...... it's nice and controlled on the way down and up, but there's no drive out of the hole. Look at some videos of really good raw squatters like any of the Lilliebridge's ( I'm sure he might have one or two videos out there) and watch how they descend and come out of the hole...... Eric is on here a lot, you could probably pm him for advice about working this part of the lift. I've trained with him a bit but usually the raw guys are on one rack and the geared guys are on another so even though we'll all help spot for a heavy set I really don't know much about how he/ his family trains.

douglasoh5
07-15-2011, 05:55 PM
get some chucks or any other flat soled shoe. and when your focusing on forcing your knees out try jst speading the floor as hard as you can the whole lift. this will keep your knees out and activate your hips and glutes.and gain 100lbs

StLRPh
07-15-2011, 06:16 PM
@ Barzeen - I think I have a mental block about going too quickly, definitely something I can improve on

@douglas - probably can't tell from the video but those are OLY shoes with a solid heel. they actually make it a bit easier and are more stable; I've gained 70lb so far, not sure if I'm good for a hundred more but would be OK with another 20lb or so :)

headache
07-16-2011, 01:06 AM
i feel if your moving your head around your back is nowhere near as tight as it should be

loganb
07-16-2011, 07:45 AM
get some chucks or any other flat soled shoe. and when your focusing on forcing your knees out try jst speading the floor as hard as you can the whole lift. this will keep your knees out and activate your hips and glutes.and gain 100lbs

This is very true, I prefer swimming shoes, just because they feel a little bit better of my feet.

theBarzeen
07-16-2011, 10:53 PM
i feel if your moving your head around your back is nowhere near as tight as it should be

good point

@ OP, it just takes hundreds of reps with a lighter weight ( one rep at a time) to learn any technique...... give it time, focus on one thing at a time, and work form with lighter weights until it becomes second nature so you don't have to think about it with heavier weights.....

Niko_El_Piko
07-31-2011, 05:59 PM
You can and should go deeper, becasuse it seems you´ve got good mobility and strech in your hips. Also the safety pins are too high.
Your shoes are ok, and I personlly don´t think you should use the Chuks because you´ll loose balance.

Most people use Chucks just because its WSB´ish and miss the point that Chucks are only good for Box Squatting & DL, but aren´t good for SQ.

theBarzeen
07-31-2011, 09:58 PM
You can and should go deeper, becasuse it seems you´ve got good mobility and strech in your hips. Also the safety pins are too high.
Your shoes are ok, and I personlly don´t think you should use the Chuks because you´ll loose balance.

Most people use Chucks just because its WSB´ish and miss the point that Chucks are only good for Box Squatting & DL, but aren´t good for SQ.

his balance will be loose?

I have to disagree about him losing balance in chucks ( or similar shoes).... guys that squat really narrow like olympic lifters do well with a heel, but most guys who are any wider than shoulder width when they squat seem to do better with a flat shoe like a converse or an adidas of similar nature.

Don't chalk the shoe choice up to Louie. He's done a lot but guys have been squatting in flat-soled basketball shoes ( old school b-ball shoes, not the new soft-soled ones) for a LONG time. I'm pretty sure that Ernie Frantz has a pair that are older than me. Come to think of it, he doesn't even squat that wide.....

thecityalive
08-01-2011, 04:29 AM
When you boil it down to the shoes...it's really all about preference/comfort. I enjoy my deadlifts and squats barefoot, but that is just me. I wear Chucks when I need to wear shoes to the gym.

Bee_Brian
08-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Any comments would be appreciated, thanks in advance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmX7ftgamQc

First rep was good depth. The next ones were an inch high.

Bee_Brian
08-01-2011, 03:13 PM
You've got some long legs. It would take a lot to reach the floor - lol

A higher-bar placement would help improve this issue.

To the OP, I highly reccommend high bar squats!

Niko_El_Piko
08-07-2011, 06:42 PM
his balance will be loose?

I have to disagree about him losing balance in chucks ( or similar shoes).... guys that squat really narrow like olympic lifters do well with a heel, but most guys who are any wider than shoulder width when they squat seem to do better with a flat shoe like a converse or an adidas of similar nature.

Don't chalk the shoe choice up to Louie. He's done a lot but guys have been squatting in flat-soled basketball shoes ( old school b-ball shoes, not the new soft-soled ones) for a LONG time. I'm pretty sure that Ernie Frantz has a pair that are older than me. Come to think of it, he doesn't even squat that wide.....

I completely agree with what you´ve just said.
My comment was specific to our friend´s video here, where you can see his stance is quite close, and his hip is tilting up; I think he will loose balance in chucks.

Regarding my last comment on the chucks, let me add: Aren´t that good for close stance squatters (my case).

Regards Barzeen.

P.s. I dont even use Oly shoes; i´ve been using these:
http://www.solostocks.com.ar/img/adidas-goodyear-plata-todos-los-talles-8323z0.jpg

thecityalive
08-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Driving shoes?

916Lifter
08-07-2011, 07:41 PM
I think concentrating on spreading the knees going down will solve alot of the problems, the main one being the knees going way to forward, the depth is fine imo... Once you get some of these lil isues taken care of you can always start going a lil deeper. Oh an keep the weight on the heels

Niko_El_Piko
08-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Driving shoes?

Yep. They suit perfectly to me/my style with that 1/2 inch heel.