PDA

View Full Version : Glute strength

muscle_g
07-16-2011, 07:45 AM
What are some good exercises to build up the glutes and strengthen them? I was told Dimmel deadlifts are good for strengthing them up, but what are some other exercises? My gym has a glute/low back machine that I have used maybe once but it really worked the glutes very hard, maybe I should start rotating it in? It's sort of like a barbell hip thrust except it's a machine and don't hurt your pelvic area.

I have found that when I deadlift raw my glutes are really working trying to lock the weight out and I want to strengthen up all of my weaknesses before I get back into my gear. So I have come down to a glute and maybe hamstring weakness on deads and maybe squats too.

ScottYard
07-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Glute bridges with a barbell on you lap. Kills the gluts. Also using a high incline on the treadmill during cardio

kingns
07-16-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm trying to work in this same weakness for my dl. But the exercises I think would work best and I am rotating are glute bridges (even with 1 leg sometimes), dimel deads, lunges, 1 leg squats w/ rear foot on bench, pull throughs, and I'm also trying mummy walks around my gyms track w a light band. Also if you consciously flex ur glutes at the top of a dead it seems to help

Mark!
07-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Bridges really help me out and have brought them up. I'm going to add a lot more glute work, I want a GHR, but don't have $400 to drop in one right now, and would probably just buy more plates if I did, haha. Bridges and lunges, every week.

NickAus
07-16-2011, 09:07 PM
45 degree back raises where you really flex the glutes.

These are great in that they do not tax the system much so are pretty easy to slot in.

Adding choked bands or doubled bands (use big dumbell) will work the glutes hard.

Also band GM's where you flex and hold at the top of each rep work well.

muscle_g
07-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm gonna give those glute bridges a go!

Niko_El_Piko
07-31-2011, 05:32 PM
I prefer Hip Thrusters.

Mark!
07-31-2011, 07:28 PM
I recently did hip thrusters, and enjoyed them, they really targeted well it felt. I've been also doing single leg bridges on a yoga ball, with a huge flex at the top of each rep.