PDA

View Full Version : How to Increase Hunger or Appetite?

PowerBen315
07-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey Guys,

My brother is having a hard time gaining weight but mostly because he hates to drink thick shakes and his appetite is not very good. Does anyone know of a good appetite booster not a weight gainer?

AlanBarrel
07-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Well for starters you could have him drink a lot of water or milk if possible to help him expand his stomach. Also eating more often while cliche really works. As far as an appetite booster or supplement goes i've tried a few like black hole or whatever but the one i use when i'm having a tough time is Eatmor I don't know how much of it is just mental but I think its helped.

Off Road
07-21-2011, 12:19 PM
High rep squats and deadlifts.

J.C.
07-21-2011, 12:57 PM
It's a slightly tough question to answer because we don't what he's doing to work out. Some people will always have a small appetite no matter what they're doing, but Off Road is totally right with his recommendation.

If you are training absolutely flat out on something like 5x5 or, even better, a 20rep squat routine then you will probably get a LOT hungrier. Also, see the quote from a famous strength coach in my signature. :study:

StLRPh
07-21-2011, 01:41 PM
High rep squats and deadlifts.

this always does it for me

Holto
07-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Nothing makes me hungrier than lifting heavy stuff.

method115
07-26-2011, 09:38 PM
As someone who has this same problem (#1 reason I hate bulking) the best advice was already given. Eat more often.

Tell him to eat every 2-3 hours (most likely 3 if he has a real problem with eating) as much as he can. Not to the point his stomach hurt or he's going to puke or anything like that. For instance if he wakes up and eats a bowl of cereal and three hours later he's not hungry at all. Just tell him to go eat a banana if all he can eat is half of it that's fine, if he can only eat 1/4 that's fine as well.

If he stays consistent with this he will expand his stomach and his appetite will increase. This is how I've started off bulking every single time and it never fails. Once again he doesn't have to make his stomach hurt he just has to eat as much as he can if it's only one bite of yogurt or a half a handful of peanuts then thats fine. Eventually he'll be able to eat more and more and will most likely move to eating every 2 hours.

Behemoth
07-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Eat 1g of protein per pound of bw. Consume about 0.25-0.3g/lb of good fat. And then invest in dextrose.

Fuzzy
07-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Some of the freaks I train with, and myself, absolutely love b12 shots a few times a week. That stuff does some crazy things to my appetite.

I think your brother just needs to man up and eat more. I train a 132lb teenage girl who put away 2 pounds of a steak, a pound of fried and a pound of veggies.

method115
07-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Some of the freaks I train with, and myself, absolutely love b12 shots a few times a week. That stuff does some crazy things to my appetite.

I think your brother just needs to man up and eat more. I train a 132lb teenage girl who put away 2 pounds of a steak, a pound of fried and a pound of veggies.

I disagree don't tell your brother to just man up. It'll either just make him quit all together or he'll put himself through unecessary discomfort.

Just do what I said above eat every 2-3 hours as much as you can without feeling sick. His appetite will eventually increase as his body gets used to this and his stomach starts to stretch.

I was given this advice years ago when I first joined this site and till this day it is still the best advice I have ever been given. Actually I might have just read it in another thread either way it literally changed my world. Bulking and cutting weight have become something I can now do easily.

I was 120 when I started listening to that advice and shot up to 150, then later on 175. I then dropped back down to 140 for various reasons (was thinking of getting into MMA). After I decided against that I'm now back up to 170. I'll probably get to 180-185 and then stay at that weight.

loganb
07-27-2011, 06:08 AM
The harder you work, the hungrier you will be. Try doing 20 rep squats with a good moderately heavy weight.

thecityalive
07-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Once I started consuming my weight per pound, in grams of protein this cycle, I noticed a huge change in my appetite.

That's just basic macro intake, but once you get that you body will want more food. Protein shake mixed with water allows me to consume some big meals when I need to.

GoinBig
01-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Hey guys I need help. I wanted to revive this thread because I also share in the problem of gaining weight. What happens is when I try to gain weight I do everything that I have read ie... increase meal size, portions, snacks, oils, foods, eat 5-7 times a day, healthy foods too. This works GREAT but the problem is after 2 WEEKS OR LESS I LOSE my appetite. It's so bad that it's hard to eat 2 times a day. This lasts about 1 week and then im back to normal. ANY thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Just an fyi, im 24 5-10' and 117-120lbs

JasonLift
01-12-2012, 10:27 PM
I am not sure what the problem is. I don't like going to work everyday but I do it. Eating/training/whatever is sometimes just things you have to man up and do. If someone was fat and complained about being always hungry you would just tell them to eat less. The same guys for an underweight guy, eat more.

Alex.V
01-13-2012, 06:03 AM
, healthy foods too.

This might be your problem. Honestly, "healthy" foods are often fairly boring. Yes, you want to be concerned about overall health, but truthfully at your age and size right now, I wouldn't be too worried about high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.

What is it you enjoy eating?

GoinBig
01-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the fast replies! Pizza, I love to eat pizza and I do at least once a week. By "healthy foods" I mean I increase my whole grains, veggies and fruit too, not just load up with sugary snacks. I try to eat more white meat than red as well. I haven't done fitday in a while but this would be my typical diet. My biggest fight is overcoming the WALL I seem to hit after about 2 weeks.

I will take your advice and man up the best I know how, I really wanna gain. But just to give you an idea..... you know the feeling you get after you eat your favorite meal and you stuff yourself until you can't eat anymore... well thats what I feel like after 2 weeks every day :scratch: ... I want to BREAK through that SO BAD because usually I just start gaining weight and clothes began to fit and it feels good.

6:00 am Breakfast
~ 2 eggs scrambled with milk and cheese (sometimes ill add a meat
~ 2 pieces of whole grain toast with butter(sugar n cinnamon smtimes
~ 1 banana
~ 2 heaping tablespoonfuls of peanut butter
~ 2 cups of OJ

8:00 am Snack
~ Protein shake about 300 calories and 25g protein
~ tablespoon of peanut butter

11:00 am Lunch
~ THICK PBJ sandwich on high calorie whole grain bread
~ Tall glass of milk
~ Apple

3:00 pm Snack
~ yogurt about 100 caloires
~ almonds and or cashews
~ Cranberry juice to drink

6:00 pm Dinner
~ Fried chicken!
~ mashed potatoes
~ Biscuit or bead
~ Big salad with oil
~ Chocolate whole milk

9:00 pm Snack
~ A big bowl of Ice cream sometimes with milk
~ Protein shake
Also I will drink coffee or cappuccino through out the day too

alexspt
01-15-2012, 05:39 PM
For me, I could never take in too much liquid or I would get super full. To get more calories I stick mostly to solid and dense foods. Try things like almonds, avodcados, etc. Think small food, big calories.

RhodeHouse
01-19-2012, 02:33 PM
If you have a small appetite and yu want to get bigger, man up. Someone said it above and it's the truth. Gaining weight is much harder than loosing it.

At a certain point, you have to suffer through eating. If you enjoy eating, you're not eating enough. Gaining weight is not a pleasant experience, but the results are always worth it.

I like the opposite of what some have said. My best progress came eating fewer meals. I'd try to eat 3-4 HUGE meals aday. Absolutely stuff your face. When you're full, finish your plate and wash it down with a 50-75g protien shake. 4-5 hours later, you'll be hungry and you can do it all over again.

You'll be guaranteed to get in enough protein and the fewer feedings per day will actually allow you to get hungry. If you're actually hungry, you'll eat more.

Alex.V
01-19-2012, 02:49 PM
I like the opposite of what some have said. My best progress came eating fewer meals. I'd try to eat 3-4 HUGE meals aday. Absolutely stuff your face. When you're full, finish your plate and wash it down with a 50-75g protien shake. 4-5 hours later, you'll be hungry and you can do it all over again.

You'll be guaranteed to get in enough protein and the fewer feedings per day will actually allow you to get hungry. If you're actually hungry, you'll eat more.

This. If you graze all day, you'll never be hungry. Fewer meals means you're more likely to have a somewhat empty stomach next time you sit down, so you'll be hungry when you start stuffing your face. Hopefully you won't realize how full you are until the food's all where it needs to be.

JSully
01-19-2012, 04:48 PM
~ 6 egg omelete with 8oz meat
~ 2 potatoes
~ 1/4 gallon milk

~ 1lb of meat
~ 1/4 gallon milk
~ 2 cups rice or 2 potatoes

~ 1lb of meat
~ 1/4 gallon milk
~ 2 cups rice or 2 potatoes

~ A big bowl of Ice cream or pizza
~ 1/4 gallon milk

Combo that with Rhodes' advice about a 50-75g protein shake every meal.

If you're able to hold a conversation and not be winded, you aren't eating enough.

f=ma
01-19-2012, 06:11 PM
across a small number of meals, really, the trick for me is to eat so fast you dont even realize youre full until you feel sick 30 minutes later

This. If you graze all day, you'll never be hungry. Fewer meals means you're more likely to have a somewhat empty stomach next time you sit down, so you'll be hungry when you start stuffing your face. Hopefully you won't realize how full you are until the food's all where it needs to be.
in spreading intake across the day, im actually a big fan of grazing on a giant tub of chicken & rice all day at work. get a 7 cup tupperware container and pack that sucker to the brim.. but at the same time i know the quantities i need to take in to fatten up

GoinBig
01-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all the support and advise, I have been pushing through and eating more. It's paying off because my clothes are starting to fit better. But I think I might have found my problem..... its been less than a week and my appetite has started to decrease:cry:. I think I might have some sort of impacted bowel condition... I have several of the symptoms. I am not "regular" to begin with and even though my diet has increased, the number of times I visit the toilet has not increased(or amount):scratch:. I am going to add fiber supplements to my diet and see how that works out.

ZAR-FIT
01-22-2012, 11:42 AM
~ 2 eggs scrambled with milk and cheese (sometimes ill add a meat
~ 2 pieces of whole grain toast with butter(sugar n cinnamon smtimes
~ 1 banana
~ 2 heaping tablespoonfuls of peanut butter
~ 2 cups of OJ

8:00 am Snack
~ Protein shake about 300 calories and 25g protein
~ tablespoon of peanut butter

~ THICK PBJ sandwich on high calorie whole grain bread
~ Tall glass of milk
~ Apple

3:00 pm Snack
~ yogurt about 100 caloires
~ almonds and or cashews
~ Cranberry juice to drink

~ Fried chicken!
~ mashed potatoes
~ Biscuit or bead
~ Big salad with oil
~ Chocolate whole milk

~ A big bowl of Ice cream sometimes with milk
~ Protein shake
Also I will drink coffee or cappuccino through out the day too

6am- skip the oj.... add more eggs
8am- any carbs in this meal???- add 1/2 cup oats dry to the shake if not.
11am- add a chicken breast in the sandwich
3pm- add a scoop of whey to the yogurt

When is your workout in this routine??

Also, ever consider oats instead of bread??

f=ma
01-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the support and advise, I have been pushing through and eating more. It's paying off because my clothes are starting to fit better. But I think I might have found my problem..... its been less than a week and my appetite has started to decrease:cry:. I think I might have some sort of impacted bowel condition... I have several of the symptoms. I am not "regular" to begin with and even though my diet has increased, the number of times I visit the toilet has not increased(or amount):scratch:. I am going to add fiber supplements to my diet and see how that works out.just keep eating. eventually gravity will fix things

ZAR-FIT
01-23-2012, 09:33 AM
for the toilet issue... big bowl of greens... brocolli, greenbeans, or even a huge head of lettuce will certainly do the trick... make sure to eat your greens with a few meals... i found it easier to eat most of my greens at home at night, when you can take your time to eat.

GoinBig
03-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the info and advice that every one contributed! I have been working toward my goal as well as following all the advice and I have been making gains. I have gained a steady 14lbs so far since my first post in Jan 12. I think what has helped the most (besides following a detailed workout plan:strong:) is choosing HEALTHY high calorie foods, high calorie protein shakes, and most importantly eating a meal close to bedtime along with a good ol' protein shake. All this has slowly increased my appetite

clsmilek
03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
needs to man up and eat more..

Tell him to start having sex more often, thus resulting in more post-sex sammiches!

I have gained a steady 14lbs so far since my first post in Jan 12.

O.o