PDA

View Full Version : Carb cycling and weigh-ins

ScottYard
07-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Im 253 right now and my meet is in 30 days out. I plan to carb cycle, do 2 moderate cardio days per week and use axcel to get to 242 for USAPL Nationals. Any more cardio and my legs will be shot meet day. I have done this before and lost 20 lbs in 7 weeks but blew it the last week and added to many high carb days the last week and sucked up alot of water.

I plan to do 5 low days and 2 high days. My question is what days do you guys think my high days should be on. I bench on sunday and squat and pull on tuesday. All my heavy work is done so Im not concerned with needing high carbs on my lifting days. to replsnish my glucose i was thinking my high day should be closer to sunday as that will be my meet day. I also dont want to blow it either like last meet.

Any tips?

vdizenzo
07-24-2011, 04:49 PM
For the high carb days, I would save the carbs up for post workout meals on Sundays and Tuesdays.

chris mason
07-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Im 253 right now and my meet is in 30 days out. I plan to carb cycle, do 2 moderate cardio days per week and use axcel to get to 242 for USAPL Nationals. Any more cardio and my legs will be shot meet day. I have done this before and lost 20 lbs in 7 weeks but blew it the last week and added to many high carb days the last week and sucked up alot of water.

I plan to do 5 low days and 2 high days. My question is what days do you guys think my high days should be on. I bench on sunday and squat and pull on tuesday. All my heavy work is done so Im not concerned with needing high carbs on my lifting days. to replsnish my glucose i was thinking my high day should be closer to sunday as that will be my meet day. I also dont want to blow it either like last meet.

Any tips?

The only reason you blew it last time is because water follows carbs. You should not load back up until after weigh-in. Do you have a 24 hr weigh-in?

Mark!
07-24-2011, 11:21 PM
The only reason you blew it last time is because water follows carbs. You should not load back up until after weigh-in. Do you have a 24 hr weigh-in?

This. The way my diet is scheduled it I'll weight in at AM, go eat carbs for lunch, lift that evening. If you've got a 24 hour weigh in say Friday, and the meet Saturday, cycle no carbs until Saturday, or Friday night after weigh in. Try and make the weigh in date the day you'd be at your lowest during that cycle.

ScottYard
07-25-2011, 05:05 AM

It's a 2 hour weigh in.

Travis Bell
07-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Scott I was under the impression you'd decided just to weigh in and shoot from there? No cut?

That's what I always do. I usually weigh in around the low to mid 250's. Weight cuts just create too much mental and physical stress for me and distracts me from lifting.

Especially for a 2hr weigh in. I competed in the USAPL for a couple years and whenever I cut, I always went into my lifting feeling bloated and uncomfortable.

Just my 2 cents though buddy. Best of luck either way!

BloodandThunder
07-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Have you ever tried water loading? If so, what's the most you've cut for a 2 hour weighin?

I'd say waterload, cut out carbs and dairy, and manipulate your sodium and potassium close to meet day while keeping cardio minimal.

Another thing to factor in with national USAPL meets is many of them weigh-in by lot number (ie Random draw and not first come first serve). You may be waiting 15-20 minutes to weigh in = less time to hydrate and puff back up to a normal weight.

vdizenzo
07-25-2011, 02:55 PM
It does not look like Scott is planning to do a few day cut for the meet.. Looks like he's dieting down and just looking for the most advantageous time to ingest his carbs on his two high days. 11 pounds in 30 days seems a bit much considering how much you have dropped already.

Is that 253 bone dry in the morning?

ScottYard
07-25-2011, 03:25 PM
It does not look like Scott is planning to do a few day cut for the meet.. Looks like he's dieting down and just looking for the most advantageous time to ingest his carbs on his two high days. 11 pounds in 30 days seems a bit much considering how much you have dropped already.

Is that 253 bone dry in the morning?

That's right vin. I am 253 in the am but with zero dieting intervention. Only smart eating choices. Do you think 11 lbs is undoable with a strict low car diet?

ScottYard
07-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Have you ever tried water loading? If so, what's the most you've cut for a 2 hour weighin?

I'd say waterload, cut out carbs and dairy, and manipulate your sodium and potassium close to meet day while keeping cardio minimal.
Another thing to factor in with national USAPL meets is many of them weigh-in by lot number (ie Random draw and not first come first serve). You may be waiting 15-20 minutes to weigh in = less time to hydrate and puff back up to a normal weight.

My plan is to get to 242 a few days out. Then hold. Dehydration won't be an issue. I'm just seeing what you guys think for optimal high carb days in relation to water retention. Is 3 days out too soon to make weight easier

StormTheBeach
07-25-2011, 03:31 PM
I worked with Shelby Starnes for a couple weeks last year. I put my high days on my two lower training days, two medium days on upper, and three low on off days to start. That only lasted about 2 weeks then I completely dropped the high days all together. It is crazy how well that diet works. I went from 280 to 229 in 15 weeks. Got so shredded, brah.

Mark!
07-28-2011, 01:05 PM
I worked with Shelby Starnes for a couple weeks last year. I put my high days on my two lower training days, two medium days on upper, and three low on off days to start. That only lasted about 2 weeks then I completely dropped the high days all together. It is crazy how well that diet works. I went from 280 to 229 in 15 weeks. Got so shredded, brah.

This is pointless considering he's less than 30 days out, and his goal isn't to get shredded, brah.

StormTheBeach
07-29-2011, 07:50 AM
This is pointless considering he's less than 30 days out, and his goal isn't to get shredded, brah.

I was unaware that wasn't everyones goal, brah. After all, there is a direct correlation between veiny-ness and bench press max. Shred or die, brah.

Counterweight
07-29-2011, 11:29 AM
I was unaware that wasn't everyones goal, brah. After all, there is a direct correlation between veiny-ness and bench press max. Shred or die, brah.

I lol'd