PDA

View Full Version : Alterations

rockofages
07-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Does Titan do alterations on gear? Has anyone done this? If so how long does it usually take?

CrazyEyesPat
07-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Does Titan do alterations on gear? Has anyone done this? If so how long does it usually take?

if u bought your gear from ken anderson, he has someone that does it for him and it's very reasonably priced. You pay for shipping, but you will get your gear back in a matter of days. His customer service is absolutely outstanding.

jtteg_x
07-24-2011, 09:24 PM
x2 on Ken. http://andersonpowerlifting.com/index.php?crn=233

it would be best to call Ken and speak with him to get an idea of turn around time.

rockofages
07-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys. Only thing is I didn't buy my gear from ken. It said he only does gear purchased from him?

jtteg_x
07-25-2011, 03:17 AM
ohh yeah, thats what it says on his site "We only alter Titan gear purchased from Anderson Powerlifting LLC"

thats odd. i been talking with him via email about tailoring my katana 5-6 months back and i purchased the shirt elsewhere. is this something he recently decided to change?

theBarzeen
07-25-2011, 09:11 AM
What do you need done?

Tightening suits and shirt sleeves is really easy. Tightening a chest plate is a little harder.

For the chest plate I'd send it out, beg Ken Anderson or Ginny and see what they can do.

If it's anything else you have a few easy options.

1) If you are anything like me, you fluctuate weight a bit and like to fine tune your gear. I was able to find an old Singer 31-15 sewing machine for under $100. THis is an industrial machine originally used by the Navy to repair parachutes and covers for stuff. You need an industrial machine to work the heavy fabric and stiff thread used in powerlifting gear. After a short learning curve I am now to the point where I can do almost all of my own work and have been able to help out more than a few teammates.

2) If this is a one-time deal and you don't plan on ever needing any more work done, start looking for a tailoring shop, shoe repair shop, etc... somewhere with an industrial sewing machine and someone who knows how to use it. The only thing to be careful with is the thread. The stuff you find at fabric shops won't hold up, so order this http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=63 for $10 and bring it with you to whatever shop you choose. #69 nylon bonded thread is what 99% of all powerlifting gear is made with. Some stuff is a little heavier, but #69 will usually do, AND it is thin enough that almost any industrial machine can run it. All the local Korean dry cleaners around me have a sewing table for alterations and can run this thread if you ask them to. You might also need a $5 pack of #18 needles if the shop doesn't have anything that heavy. Most tailoring shops will not, but a shoe repair place will already have the needles.

Then just remember to never take out the original material until you try the gear out with the new seam. it's easy to rip out a seam and do it over, you can't replace material that's been cut out. And remember, if you move a seam 1/2" the sleeve/suit/leg will be 1" tighter over-all, make small changes at a time, nothing drastic.

If I can help at all let me know...... good luck

Brian Hopper
07-28-2011, 07:36 AM
If Ken Anderson won't do it then try Ginny. She has worked on my shirt a few times and had no problems at all.

JK1
07-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Ken will alter any titan equipment, not just equipment you have purchased from him (I have had several bench shirts altered that I did not get from Ken, including sleeves tightened, chestplates tightened, collars reinforced, etc) You just need to call him ahead of time and tell him what you are sending him.

ct67_72
07-28-2011, 07:04 PM
huh, he did a shirt of mine. I bought it second hand. never even came up. it was a couple years ago though, so Im not sure if something changed.
There are others out there. But he is very good. E-mail him and see what he says.

rockofages
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
I did go through Ken Anderson. Thanks!

J_Byrd
08-04-2011, 07:05 AM
He just finished one of my shirts, They do a great job