PDA

View Full Version : Sore Elbows

MrBean
07-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Started a new Power Training Routine seven weeks ago and must have overdone some Triceps assistance work cuase my elbows are so sore that I cannot even do one chin-up because of the pain. So I'm planning on going easy the next five (5) weeks on tri's. Been hurting now for maybe two or three weeks. Anyone have this condition before and how long did the elbow pain last. The pain in my shoulders has almost dissapeared but the elbows are worse off. Going to purchase some single-ply elbow wraps asap. I'm a young 59 and need to get into shape slowly but steadily. Being 6'2" with long arms doesn't help either.

MrBean
07-25-2011, 09:55 AM
FYI been training with weights consistantly for a couple years and on-off before that but never experienced the elbow pain. Also used a Paramount Triceps Extension Machine with a full stack for tri's (sets of 3) which may have contributed some to the elbow soreness. Feels like the ligaments are bruised or inflamed.

PhxdB
07-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Maybe this is somewhat related?

1QPMSriohyE

MrBean
07-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Great Video. I was definitely planning on adding Shoulder rehab work into my pressing routine. Thanks!
BTW that P.T. in the video looks just like me if you cover up his face below the nose.

MrBean
07-27-2011, 01:33 PM
To answer my own question it took about two weeks, give or take, for elbow (and shuolder) pain to return to exceptable levels due to overuse from benching, tri extensions, OHP etc. Taking NSAIDs also helped speed my recovery somewhat.
I also read online that lowering half way on skull krushers will help to reduce sore elbows, but still give the tri's plenty of work.

ScottYard
07-27-2011, 02:32 PM
D.b hex top holds worked for me. I had major elbow issues then did those 2 times per week for 6-8 weeks and never had an issue again. Basically just hold the top of a d.b with your finger tips and pick up and squeeze for 25 seconds. 15-30 lbs works well.

frankf79
07-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Perform these rotating tricep extensions ( Pro-Sups) at the end of your press day for 2 sets of 15 - 20 reps and the day after for recovery. That combined with hand gripping exercises is what fixed my elbows for good. See Link: http://www.inno-sport.net/Strength-Endurance/Video/PIM%20ProSup%20Extensions.AVI

mike mcgee
07-28-2011, 09:48 AM
are you taking a good joint supplement? I didn't think they worked before, but I have been taking microlactin and it has helped me tremendously. also, if your not taking fish oil, that might help as it aids in reducing inflammation. whenever i start feeling a flare up, i take more fish oil and the pain usually goes away in a couple days.

MrBean
07-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Taking fish oil on days I don't eat fish. Incorporating Grip work and Rotating Tri Ext's into routine. Taking it easy on the joints this cycle and not maxing out on assistant work. Goodbye elbow pain.

Travis Bell
07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Ice ice and more ice will be your friend.

I'm not a fan of elbow wraps because they just tend to cover up the problem. You need to rehab the issue or else it's just going to keep hanging around.

Lones Green
07-28-2011, 12:29 PM

I'm not a fan of elbow wraps because they just tend to cover up the problem. You need to rehab the issue or else it's just going to keep hanging around.

Agreed 100%

Niko_El_Piko
07-30-2011, 10:42 AM

I agree; ice post workout is mandatory.

What works for me is using some kind of liniment of Bengay cream, with some old and very used elbow sleeves, only to maintain heat at the joint.
Also do A LOT of triceps warmups. Triceps Pull downs on a high pulley for 20/25 reps, slow and easy. And a second round of 15/18 reps trying to speed things up.
Finally work on rehab: Grab an unloaded dumbell (or the lat machine bar will do the work), elbow at 90 try turining your hand, supinating and pronating holding the bar by one of the ends.