PDA

View Full Version : HCT-12 and Protein Choices

Invisablod
07-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Well I'm a full time Grad Student (even during the summer, I just want to get done). I also had to pick up a second job because it isn't cheap :drooling: . I've been doing the HCT-12 routine for about a month now and enjoying it, all of my big lifts have gone up substantially. Over the course of 5 years I've gone from a very very obese 320, down to a muscular 210, and now I'm bulking up and trying to hit 250 and stay around 12-14% BF (just as a starting goal). Needless to say I drink a lot of protein drinks my problem is that I cannot afford these expensive protein supplements so I've been reduced to buying the Market Pantry (target brand) it's 14 bucks for 2 lbs of it, has 25g of Protein per scoop, 200 Calories and like 2g of sugar, actually tastes pretty good with water too(the chocolate, not the vanilla, vanilla tastes like moldy cupcakes!).

My question... Will I see less results, or slower results because of my protein choice? I've Read through Starting Strength and Practical Programming and they state that "Protein is Protein just eat it!" but I still wonder..

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Nick

chevelle2291
07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Well I'm a full time Grad Student (even during the summer, I just want to get done). I also had to pick up a second job because it isn't cheap :drooling: . I've been doing the HCT-12 routine for about a month now and enjoying it, all of my big lifts have gone up substantially. Over the course of 5 years I've gone from a very very obese 320, down to a muscular 210, and now I'm bulking up and trying to hit 250 and stay around 12-14% BF (just as a starting goal). Needless to say I drink a lot of protein drinks my problem is that I cannot afford these expensive protein supplements so I've been reduced to buying the Market Pantry (target brand) it's 14 bucks for 2 lbs of it, has 25g of Protein per scoop, 200 Calories and like 2g of sugar, actually tastes pretty good with water too(the chocolate, not the vanilla, vanilla tastes like moldy cupcakes!).

My question... Will I see less results, or slower results because of my protein choice? I've Read through Starting Strength and Practical Programming and they state that "Protein is Protein just eat it!" but I still wonder..

Nick

no, not at all.

BallsWideDeep
07-26-2011, 10:06 PM

Nick

Yes. Yes, definitely. If you are using just whey protein you will have slower results than a quality protein blend or better food choice. Proven time and time again. $7 per pound is not that cheap for whey. Sam's has EAS for <$6, and internet deals go lower than this $4-5.

Here's more opinion:
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?132598-100-Whey-or-Protein-Blend

chevelle2291
07-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes. Yes, definitely. If you are using just whey protein you will have slower results than a quality protein blend or better food choice. Proven time and time again. $7 per pound is not that cheap. Sam's has EAS for <$6, and internet deals go lower than this $4-5.

You're a quality poster here, but that's a load of bullshit. Provided OP is getting his protein from complete sources (ie not relying on peanut butter or other incomplete proteins for his intake), there is going to be no difference in results as long as the amount he ingests is the same. It doesn't matter if it's EAS Whey, ON Whey, a blend of isolate or concentrate, casein, hydrolyzed whey, etc. It's all going to 'work' the same. Anyone who tells you differently is feeding you a load of marketing BS.

However, 7 bucks a pounds is not that cheap for whey, better deals are to be had like Balls said online or at Sam's.

BallsWideDeep
07-26-2011, 10:30 PM
You may be right. I played devil's advocate, because like so many topics, there are credible studies on both sides. It is not reasonable to be 100% resolute on either one. They both have potential advantages, cost being the determining factor for the OP.

Go on slickdeals.net , register and set up alerts for "protein", and get bombarded with $5/lb. deals delivered to your door. Most people end up with too much, because they are suckers for a good deal.

thecityalive
07-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Like that is an issue because protein powder has a pretty long shelf life when stored properly.

BallsWideDeep
07-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Like that is an issue because protein powder has a pretty long shelf life when stored properly.

Most of the time when supplement shops are unloading product it is because it is within a few months of expiration. You have to freeze it if you buy a lot.

Here's mine after clearing out a post exchange here on base:
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7168/fridgeb.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/fridgeb.jpg/)

thecityalive
07-27-2011, 10:07 PM
oh holy shit you buy a lot. was that marked down significantly?

BallsWideDeep
07-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Myoplex Deluxe originally listed at $45/ box. I bought for $6/box. Think I bought 2 cases with 4 boxes in each. There was more outside the fridge.

Weider 2lb was originally $25/bag. I bought for $4/bag w/ a shirt. Bought a bunch. Had a shitload of Weider T shirts. I gave most to Nepali's working over here. A bunch of 130lb. guys running around in Weider shirts. hahahah

This was October of last year when I started. I put on 32lbs with this and white bread post workout.

krazylarry
07-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah 7 bucks a pound is not cheap. BallsWideDeep knows whats up. I bought 40 pounds of protein for 2 bucks a pound. It seems you got even a better deal. Did you buy it at a store on the net?

BallsWideDeep
07-27-2011, 11:37 PM
This was a very unique situation. A PX (post exchange) is a military store that caters to a base. They had all this stock of expensive powder, and it was about five months from the expiration. Your average Army guy is 19 and doesn't know the difference between N.O. Explode and protein powder. There is no way they are going to pay for a micellar casein blend, so all the weider got left behind. The myoplex is just plain expensive (individually wrapped). I saw it marked down, and immediately ran back to my CHU (containerized housing unit) to grab a hundred dollar bill. When they saw how much I was buying, they checked my military ID. They thought I was going to Ebay it. I assured them it was in fact for personal use. I mixed the predominately whey myoplex with a little of the predominately casein weider, and added white bread to get the correct ratio for a mass gaining pwo meal. Dirt cheap blend with digestive enzymes, glutamine peptides, and all the other bullshit. hahaha

krazylarry
07-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Sweet. i'm jealous, that almost makes it worth being in the Army.

thecityalive
07-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Myoplex Deluxe originally listed at $45/ box. I bought for $6/box. Think I bought 2 cases with 4 boxes in each. There was more outside the fridge.

Weider 2lb was originally $25/bag. I bought for $4/bag w/ a shirt. Bought a bunch. Had a shitload of Weider T shirts. I gave most to Nepali's working over here. A bunch of 130lb. guys running around in Weider shirts. hahahah

This was October of last year when I started. I put on 32lbs with this and white bread post workout.

HOW DOES ONE STUMBLE UPON SUCH A DEAL!