PDA

View Full Version : HS football weight training

HSfootball99
07-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Currently I'm entering my sophmore year at Highschool and I play Noseguard for the JV football team.
For the past month I've gained no strength doing what the coaches asked me to do so I'm wondering if anyone could propher up some suggestions of what I'm doing wrong and what I should do right - here are my weight stats

Bench Press : 135 lbs for only 3 reps
Squats : 115lbs x 10 reps
Leg Press: 275lbs x 10 reps
Dead lift: 115 lbs x 10 reps

Our coach usually has us doing :
Military press 3x10
Iso High Row 5x3 or 3x 10
Incline bench 5x3 or 3x 10
squats 10x3 and some other minor work outs

I need help because I need to get stronger for football season so help!

dammstrate
07-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Not a lot of info to comment on here, but if you are going into sophomore year this fall, you are probably 15 yrs old. If you are a noseguard, you are probably reasonably sized for your age.

What is your height and weight?

The first bunch of lifts, that what is your best, or what you have done but could do more? For football, no one should be doing sets of 10, especially for the major compound movements (squat, bench, military, dead). Should be 4-6 max reps per set.

What are your max attempts for a single rep? That will give us some indication of your overall strength
level.

The stuff the coach has you doing, no deadlift or hang/power clean? How do go up in weight with
those sets/reps, do you go up x% next time if you get this last workout? How many days per week
do you lift?

Football power is built on explosive reps in the 4-6 range, ideally against some contrast like bands
or chains.

If you are eating healthy foods (no McDonalds like crap), supplementing with some protien powder,
and pushing yourself in the weight room, you should be growing like weed. If you are not making
progress, either you diet is full of crap, or you are not doing any real work to push the limits of your
body each workout.

Answer the above questions and maybe we on the forum can help you.

Mark!
07-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Too many factors to give any good help here. What your coach has you doing is a very basic, bland routine to make sure you don't get injured, but it's going to limit your gains. I'm very anti high school football coaches in the weight room, so take that for what it's worth, most of them don't know their asses from a hole in the ground. Like mentioned before, you need to be doing lower reps higher weight. Do you have access to the weight room anytime you want? Or do you have the means to get a gym membership somewhere? If you're small for your position, and you want to stay at that position, eat quality proteins, gain some weight, and get on a proven routine. Starting strength, 5x5, any of the solid routines that are thrown around here for beginners is going to give results for someone starting out. Build a solid base with your nutrition and routine, and be consistent. Lift every chance you get.