PDA

View Full Version : Days before the Meet Panic

basbolstar
07-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Hey-

I am 3 days from my meet and I feel like my strength is crap, form will be off..and feel like I won't even hit my openers. Second guessing my form..everything...

Anyone else ever feel this way??

shocker4221
07-28-2011, 01:01 PM
I've only done a few meets and usually have similar feelings of anxiety. You've done all the work already and now it's time to reap the benefits. I try to go into a meet thinking I will do what I can and not worry about the rest. Your strength is what it is so when it's time to lift just worry about performing each lift with excellent form and paying attention to the commands of the judges. Try to relax, it is supposed to be fun afterall.

Mark!
07-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Hows your nutrition? Usually the only time I feel like shit and start 2nd guessing myself is when nutrition is off.

basbolstar
07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Nutrition is right where it should be...Just want meet day to come I guess..

Brian C
07-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Im assuming you took the week off of training. Its natural to feel like your shriveling into nothing from not training at all. We are so used to being in the gym, so you feel like your missing something. Just relax and take it easy these couple days. Come meet day, get in a good warmup and you will be readt to go.

Beverly McD.
07-28-2011, 01:38 PM
It's normal :) I see world class lifters throwing up an hour before they have to walk on the platform.
Best of luck at your meet basbolstar.

IronDiggy
07-28-2011, 01:43 PM
It's pretty normal for me. Sucks trying to get a good night sleep the night before the meet as I'm generally to excited & nervous to fall asleep and when I'm asleep I generally have nightmares about failing miserably. But meet day always turns out to be awesome. My performance anxiety (heh heh) goes away and I just have fun.

thecityalive
07-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Positive reinforcement is a powerful device. Just tell yourself you will do great and you will be great.

vdizenzo
07-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Dude, you are toast! I'd back out of the meet if I were you.

vdizenzo
07-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Just kidding, that stuff is normal. Start practicing some sports psych stuff, it really helps me.

Rob Luyando
07-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Dude, you are toast! I'd back out of the meet if I were you.

LMAO! I just about pissed myself!

If you are cutting weight its normal to feel off. Once you make weight and start to carb up you will be fine. Pre meet jitters is all. Best of luck!

thecityalive
07-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Consider having someone do a guided meditation/visuilization a few days before the meet. When I ran track for HS and university, we had coaches that was big into that stuff. Perhaps I'm biased, but I always felt prepared and ready for races whenever we would do that.

SELK
07-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Every meet. Open light in the squat, once I get a squat in I usually feel great.

JK1
07-28-2011, 04:39 PM
I have felt like complete and total dog shit before all of the meets I have done really well at. It seems like if I'm feeling "good" 3 days before a meet, I end up shitting the bed at the meet. I dont' know why, but it sure happens.

ScottYard
07-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Open light and things work them selves out.

theBarzeen
07-28-2011, 09:45 PM
I get like that too...... as long as you picked conservative openers, don't sweat it.

I had a great showing at the Illinois state meet this year.... the week before I felt like crap, anxious, couldn't sleep. The day of I felt shaky. As soon as I started warming up the weight felt light and I felt solid as a rock. Even after a good squat I second guessed my bench opener. Even after a good bench I second guessed my deadlift opener..... then after the meet I wished that I pushed everything heavier.....

Good luck, and +1 for everyone mentioning positive visualization. That really helps me.

kingns
07-28-2011, 11:22 PM
That happens to me every meet. You have to put your faith in your training. If you prepared yourself adequately you will perform. Like others said open up really light and your confidence will skyrocket

basbolstar
07-29-2011, 06:36 AM
Yea, my training has been solid.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

joey54
07-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Probably should test your openers the day before the meet just to be sure.

kingns
07-29-2011, 07:36 PM
I know that was a joke but its okay to test your opener, but dont freak out about it. When i do my opener a few weeks out it usually feels crappy cuz I havent deloaded. My training partner wanted to take his opener the monday before the meet......guess what happened? Missed his last warm up, missed his opener, finally got in on second, missed his third attempt. If you need to test your opener go for it, but dont do it too close to the meet.

ScottYard
07-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Probably should test your openers the day before the meet just to be sure.

Your on a roll this thread lol

joey54
07-30-2011, 07:20 PM
I know that was a joke but its okay to test your opener, but dont freak out about it. When i do my opener a few weeks out it usually feels crappy cuz I havent deloaded. My training partner wanted to take his opener the monday before the meet......guess what happened? Missed his last warm up, missed his opener, finally got in on second, missed his third attempt. If you need to test your opener go for it, but dont do it too close to the meet.

In all seriousness, this is good advice. I was just trying to lighten the mood like Vincent did earlier.