PDA

View Full Version : How To Get more Protein

Swirl54
07-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Hello all. My diet is great I eat real good quality foods I am just having a problem getting protein. I think I need about 200 grams a day I am getting around 130-175. I do not eat beef or pork I eat all poultry and fish though. I started drinking an extra protein shake a day instead of just after a workout so I am up to two of those daily. They each have 17 grams in them but I have better stuff on the way it has 25 grams per shake. I guess what I am asking is what can I add to my diet to get more protein. I am 6'2 207 trying to lose a gut and man boobs and put on some dang muscle for first time in my life I am 31. To give you an idea of my diet for lunch I just had a turkey burger, black beans, whole grain rice, and a romaine lettuce salad and after all that I downed a shake mixed with water and a frozen banana. I am on a 2000 calorie diet as well. Thanks in advance.

tom183
07-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Once you get your new protein supplement that will give you an extra 16g per day (assuming you continue to have two per day). If you were getting 175g that gets you almost to 200g right there. If you need more, have an extra shake or put a scoop and a half in your shakes.

ZAR-FIT
07-29-2011, 02:50 AM
buy egg whites in the cartons... like egg beaters.... 100% protein right there.

bgb1990
07-29-2011, 05:10 AM
as zar-fit said, eggs are packed full of protein, and egg whites are just protein, no fat or anything. peanut butter is also good, as well as milk.

Swirl54
07-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks people I am going to do scoop and a half 3 time daily I was eating a lot of chicken but do not like all the sodium that i get.

storm235
07-29-2011, 09:05 PM
do 2 scoops....40-50gms per shake is good. 3 of them and you'll have 120-150

Esmond
08-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Hi Swirl54,
Get protein supplements, protein bars or protein shakes.
My favorite home mad protein bar recipe just for you. Feel free to comment on it.
250g Oats
150g Whey isolate
90g Organic peanut butter
Mix all the ingredients with fingers in a bowl to break up the PB. Mix some water and work into a stiff sticky lump.
Press it onto a baking tray covered in grease proof paper and make rectangle shape with dough.
Keep it in the refrigerator for an hour and cut into 8 bars.

Mark!
08-02-2011, 04:38 AM
I do 4 scoops of protein = 100 grams, pork, chicken, and egg whites. I usually average 300-320 grams of protein a day. Shakes really helped me out, and adding egg whites to my shakes helped.

LuNa
08-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks people I am going to do scoop and a half 3 time daily I was eating a lot of chicken but do not like all the sodium that i get.

Since when do chicken breasts have a lot of sodium?

Derekflint
08-30-2011, 05:29 AM
What's wrong with beef?

brian12
09-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Hey man,

Don't skimp on the protein - it will get you bigger and reduce fat. I weigh 198lbs and I get around 270grams to 330 grams protein a day. I eat a lean meat/fish 3 times a day (40 grams protein each) = 120. And the rest comes from protein shakes.

My suggestion - add in 5 whole eggs to your diet per day

Larger protein shakes - before gym have a shake with 30 grams protein.; after gym get 40 or 50 grams protein from your shake (that's 80 grams right there); then follow up with a big high protein meal 30 minutes later with 40 grams of food protein.. That's 120 grams protein all around your workout. Your muscles will thank you.. Then in my opinion, aim to get at least another 100 grams of protein during the rest of the day. This can be done easily through solid food, but if you dont reach it, then add in a protein shake in the morning and or at night!

Good luck!

brian12
09-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Also, you mention that you want to lose weight. I really simple thing to do is to fill yourself up with protein first at every meal. So a lot of chicken, lots of eggs (some whole, some whites only), beef etc... Once you've eaten a big portion of protein, Then you can add in some veggies (loads), and only then do you add in the carbohydrate.. If you eat in this order, and prioritize in this way, then you will automatically up your protein and decrease unnecessary carbs.. Give it a try.

Remember with carbs, 'use them or lose them'. Each time you eat carbs, think about why you are eating them. Are you about to go to gym? Do you have a strenuous day ahead of you? If so, have just enough to supply that energy. not more. If you're at home relaxing, then dont have any carbs, you will get enough from your veggies to give you energy..

I hope this helps! These are just my opinions, but I really think that if you keep these two points in mind when ever you eat, you will be on the right track to losing that weight!

good luck!

chevelle2291
09-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Also, you mention that you want to lose weight. I really simple thing to do is to fill yourself up with protein first at every meal. So a lot of chicken, lots of eggs (some whole, some whites only), beef etc... Once you've eaten a big portion of protein, Then you can add in some veggies (loads), and only then do you add in the carbohydrate.. If you eat in this order, and prioritize in this way, then you will automatically up your protein and decrease unnecessary carbs.. Give it a try.

Remember with carbs, 'use them or lose them'. Each time you eat carbs, think about why you are eating them. Are you about to go to gym? Do you have a strenuous day ahead of you? If so, have just enough to supply that energy. not more. If you're at home relaxing, then dont have any carbs, you will get enough from your veggies to give you energy..

I hope this helps! These are just my opinions, but I really think that if you keep these two points in mind when ever you eat, you will be on the right track to losing that weight!

good luck!

You're giving A LOT of advice that isn't necessarily true for someone who became a member just a few days ago. Some stats and/or explanation of your training/diet history to back up your statements would be useful.

brian12
09-03-2011, 10:02 PM
You're giving A LOT of advice that isn't necessarily true for someone who became a member just a few days ago. Some stats and/or explanation of your training/diet history to back up your statements would be useful.

Hey man,

I'm 27 years old and managed to get from 125lbs to 198lbs @13%BF over the last 5 years.

My diet: I follow leangains and get around the 300 gram mark protein (eating from 12am until 8pm). I am on leangains to get down to 10%BF. But I love this eating style so I will stick with it. In the past I have also been on the anabolic diet

Training: For the better part of my training history I followed a single muscle group split (5 days a week). Heavy compound focus and isolation work. Currently I am on a 4 day compound movement split - 2 upper body sessions and 2 lower body sessions. (HCT 12 style)

I know I gave a lot of advice, but like a I mentioned - those are just my opinions. Everyone needs to try out what works for them. It seems as if the poster's diet doesn't have the best macro breakdown - too high carb and too low protein. So, just giving my opinions on how he could up the protein, drop carbs and still hit the same calories, to help with fat loss.

But like i said, just my opinions.. I know I wrote a lot. I like sharing thoughts and ideas. Im new to this forum, but always frequented other.

:)

chevelle2291
09-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Hey man,

I'm 27 years old and managed to get from 125lbs to 198lbs @13%BF over the last 5 years.

My diet: I follow leangains and get around the 300 gram mark protein (eating from 12am until 8pm). I am on leangains to get down to 10%BF. But I love this eating style so I will stick with it. In the past I have also been on the anabolic diet

Training: For the better part of my training history I followed a single muscle group split (5 days a week). Heavy compound focus and isolation work. Currently I am on a 4 day compound movement split - 2 upper body sessions and 2 lower body sessions. (HCT 12 style)

I know I gave a lot of advice, but like a I mentioned - those are just my opinions. Everyone needs to try out what works for them. It seems as if the poster's diet doesn't have the best macro breakdown - too high carb and too low protein. So, just giving my opinions on how he could up the protein, drop carbs and still hit the same calories, to help with fat loss.

But like i said, just my opinions.. I know I wrote a lot. I like sharing thoughts and ideas. Im new to this forum, but always frequented other.

:)

Sounds like some pretty solid progress. What are your lifts lookin' like if you don't mind me asking?

Not to be a pest, but a lot of times this section gets filled with 'internet experts' spewing advice when they've never really dieted down or gained any meaningful amount of weight. This can be frustrating when you have guys like Behemoth and Invain and others who REALLY know how to diet.

Something that kind of set an alarm off with me is your statement about carbs. I don't really agree with your statement about eating carbs only when you 'need' them. Carbs can very very muscle-sparing during a cut, especially for a natural trainer. In fact, a lot of natural bodybuilders cut on what would be considered moderate-high carbs by many.

Saying to cut carbs can be an easy guideline for people looking to lose some weight, but blanket statements like that can really fuck with people and their results if they take it too far, which a lot of people do by going keto, etc., when for most a moderate diet of reduced calories, moderate fat, moderate protein, moderate carbs will do.

Behemoth
09-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Hey man,

Don't skimp on the protein - it will get you bigger and reduce fat.

How does protein reduce your fat?

Also, you mention that you want to lose weight. I really simple thing to do is to fill yourself up with protein first at every meal.

I'll agree that eating more protein can help with satiety on less calories, and that eating your protein source first can be a helpful tactic.

This is piss poor advice, unless you're just confusing carbs with calories.

I definitely agree that planning when you take in your carbs can be beneficial for energy needs. However you make it sound like the consumption of carbs in the absence of exercise leads way to de novo lipogensis and you get fat, which is asinine. And even if it were the case (it's not) our bodies store and release lipids all day long, so thinking you can eliminate the former at all times by any method short of not eating at all (not just carbs) is not practical.

brian12
09-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Fair points - i guess i pushed those points across a bit to strongly, my appoligies! Maybe my nutrition knowledge is not up to scratch - as until a year ago I followed a 'seefood' diet and ate everything in sight (with a focus on traditional bodybuilding stapes), to get big. So my deeper nutritional understanding still needs to improve.

Chevelle - my lifts: Deadlift: 250; squat: 265, standing shoulder barbell press: 175, flat bench: 240. Around there. I tore my rotator cuff a few years back and that sometimes psychologically holds me back. My lifts are not great - always aiming to improve :). Also, I will post some photo's soon.

Here is a really usefull link for helping to determine one's metabolic type (fat oxidiser VS slow oxidiser VS Balanced oxideser). This might be useful the the original poster. I would definitely fit into the fast oxidiser group. Anyway, run through the questions and see what you guys think. Just reminds me that everyones body is different and an ideal macro breakdown is very specific to the individual - so I guess my hard statements would not be appropriate for everyone.

http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247

Giloo
09-05-2011, 04:13 AM
There are many ways to get protein. For example protein shakes are very common but I recommend you to take fish oil which very rich in protein and very useful against curing diseases.

JacobH
09-05-2011, 06:38 AM
There are many ways to get protein. For example protein shakes are very common but I recommend you to take fish oil which very rich in protein and very useful against curing diseases.

Fish Oil is not a protein supplement. And I don't think it is a cure to any disease...

brian12
09-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Yeah, got to agree. Fish oil is a great supplement, but not a high protein supplement. lol