PDA

View Full Version : Nuts and stomach ache?

ncsuLuke
07-29-2011, 11:12 AM
I have been having some terrible stomach pains lately that tend to occur in my lower abdomen area around my belly button and I can't quite figure out why. I can take an OTC antiacid like pepcid and it makes it feel better but I am more interested in figuring out why it hurts in the first place and fixing that rather than take medicine.

One thing that I have been eating during the entire time of my stomach pains are various nuts, mainly almonds, walnuts, and pecans. I have also eaten pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. I used to eat these types of nuts all the time with no problem whatsoever but for the past week or so my stomach has just felt awful off and on and these are the only things I can think of that I have eaten consistently. I am trying to do control studies the best I can to see what causes the pain and what doesn't but so far I can't pin it on one thing.

Could these nuts/seeds cause stomach pain (granted that I am not allergic to them in the first place)? I have had them for a while but they do not seem to be rancid since they smell and taste fine.

Dgro
07-29-2011, 04:15 PM
You may have developed an allergy later in life. uncommon, but it happens.

Alex.V
07-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Is it gas? Constipation? What's your overall protein intake like? What's in the rest of your diet? What's your fiber intake like?

Allergies would be systemic, you wouldn't have stomach pain, you'd have airway problems.

ncsuLuke
07-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Is it gas? Constipation? What's your overall protein intake like? What's in the rest of your diet? What's your fiber intake like?

Allergies would be systemic, you wouldn't have stomach pain, you'd have airway problems.

It is more just pain and the feeling of things being unsettled. My protein intake is moderate, nothing crazy. I have had diets in the past with huge amounts of protein and that made me gassy and bloated but this isn't anything like that.

As for the rest of my diet I try to stick to a paleo type diet overall limiting my grains but allowing some dairy. My typical diet is something along the following:

-Eggs and bacon for breakfast along with a cup of coffee
-Fruit for a snack (usually some berries)
-A salad with grilled chicken or something similar, meat with vegetables for lunch
-Fruit or some nuts for a snack
-Some kind of meat (chicken, pork, beef, fish, anything healthy) and vegetables for dinner
-Sometimes for an evening snack I will have some greek yogurt and some berries

This morning I had some coffee on an empty stomach to see if that could be the issue and all felt fine so then I had a protein shake and a bit later a handful of almonds. About 15 minutes after eating the almonds I started feeling the stomach pain again for the first time since Wednesday. Thursday my diet was pretty much the same as above with no nuts in it whatsoever.

Alex.V
07-29-2011, 09:47 PM
How long have you been doing "paleo"? (and why??)

Strikes me that the nuts are the only real bulk/fiber you get... not sure how substantial the salads are, though, and what kinds of vegetables you're having.

Again, doesn't sound like an allergy... do you get any other symptoms when the stomach pains start? Elevated heart rate, any dizziness....?

Pumpkin/sunflower seeds aren't true nuts.. different proteins, and it's somewhat unlikely that you'd spontaneously develop allergies to them all.

Just trying to help eliminate variables here...

ncsuLuke
07-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Been doing it for about 8 months now, started and did it very strict for a month and felt absolutely amazing, as soon as I went back to eating grains I started feeling like crap. I enjoy the food I eat on the diet, my body reacts well, and I am not trying to put on a lot of mass so that is why I eat that way.

I am about to the point where I think I must have just got a bad batch of nuts or I let them sit too long before eating them because I haven't had any problems with nuts before and I really can't think of anything else in my diet that could be causing the issue. I am just going to go a week or so without eating any to see if I still have any issues and if not I will try introducing a new batch of almonds into my diet. If that goes well I will add the other nuts/seeds.

thecityalive
07-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Am I the only one that read the title wrong?

ncsuLuke
07-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Am I the only one that read the title wrong?

HA! :zipit:

Didn't even think of that