PDA

View Full Version : Herniated disc?

4g64fiero
07-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I started going a lot lighter in the last few months because my deadlift has been on a constant backslide. Today, I was doing a set of 2 with 320lbs and I felt one of the lower lumbar vertebrae in my back "squish" . Thats just the best way I can describe it. It seemed like it slid down a little bit. My back was straight, I never let it bend from the lumbar region.

This all happened with the bar just below my knees. I dropped the weight immediately. Now I have symptom of sciatica and cannot bend over without something supporting me or my lower back hurts. What I cant get over is, how did this happen with good form and light weight? I must have an imbalance of some sort?

Travis Bell
07-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah if you are having sharp pains in your sciatic area after something like this, that does sound like it could be a herniated disk.

It could be a small injury that has accumulated over time and the deadlift reps just were the final straw

4g64fiero
07-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks Travis! I am also wondering what types of imbalances would leave a person prone to these types of injuries? I am going to see a doctor on Monday.

shawno
07-30-2011, 06:10 PM
I had something similar, did it on a Yolk Walk first then on a bottom's up Squat, thought it was a herniated disk. Turns out it's a subluxation of the sacroiliac joint. Going to a chiropractor regularly, but for me, getting to 100% is a long way off - I'm old so don't draw any conclusions for yourself. Just keep this possibility in mind when you get in to see the Doc on Monday.

Travis Bell
07-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks Travis! I am also wondering what types of imbalances would leave a person prone to these types of injuries? I am going to see a doctor on Monday.

It could be a weakness of the spinal erectors but it doesn't have to be.

Progressive type injuries happen as small injuries that never heal and accumulate into a large one so it's hard to say. Your doctor will be the best one to consult.

theBarzeen
07-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Doctor, Chiro..... maybe not in that order depending on how good your chiro is.

My first stop is usually chiro, but I am really lucky to have one that played college ball, lifted, and now works with LOTS of athletes... there are a lot of chiros out there claiming to treat your asthma and diabetes who I wouldn't trust to crack an egg let alone my neck...... rant over.... sorry about your back.

4g64fiero
07-30-2011, 09:54 PM
I am in the military so I have to go see a general practitioner first to get a referral. I will never be able to go to the chiropractor but I will get to see some pretty experienced physical therapists. They are actually pretty good on Patrick AFB at the moment. I really appreciate the input guys. I am thinking about giving up deadlifts altogether because I need to figure out how I keep hurting myself doing them. I should see a coach.

My highest squat was 485 parallel but my deadlift was 405 at the time with questionable form. I have always managed to do the squat with my upper body in a more upright position. I think this kept my spinal erectors from developing proportionately. I cant really imagine what else it would be.

I have completely changed my form n the last few months to a lowbar position and started doing low box squats to target mostly hams. I have changed my entire workout to target my lagging deadlift. I have a problem with speed of the floor. No matter the weight, my lockout is super quick if I can just get it over my knees.

4g64fiero
07-30-2011, 10:13 PM
I had something similar, did it on a Yolk Walk first then on a bottom's up Squat, thought it was a herniated disk. Turns out it's a subluxation of the sacroiliac joint. Going to a chiropractor regularly, but for me, getting to 100% is a long way off - I'm old so don't draw any conclusions for yourself. Just keep this possibility in mind when you get in to see the Doc on Monday.

I appreciate your input but you just scared the crap out of me. I looked that up, and that makes alot of sense too. It looks like I am going to be spending alot of time using machines to workout. I will probably just start swimming instead of running.

mosley1990
07-30-2011, 11:08 PM
I recommend an MRI. I have a herniated disc and it was misdiagnosed at first by the chiro. I went for 3 weeks and still had all the symptoms. He said it could be a herniated disc but, being hard headed I didn't believe him. After it lasted more that a month I ended up getting an MRI and it showed the herniation. (L4-L5)

MikeWilliams
08-02-2011, 07:02 PM
I was having similar issues deadlifting...mine was from rounding my back, getting sloppy form..and I paid for it...it aggravated my back and I had the same problems you have with the pain..turns out I have 2 herniated discs and a pinched nerve

good news is I've strengthened my back so much that it hasn't come back, at the time I was barely able to DL in the 400's I was able to get to 560lbs...

BUT now I have an upper back problem and I don't know how to fix it..I think it has something to do with my ribs in my upperback region, I can't lift anything over 405, too painful

4g64fiero
08-03-2011, 07:08 PM
I was hyperextending my back when I injured it. I felt one of my lower vertebre slide. I should have mentioned this in the initial post. I think I have some pretty crazy APT going on because of my squat form. This would explain why my deadlift has gone down so much so quickly. I have been stretching my hammys trying to fascilitate proper DL form, but it has been my ITB and lower back that has been tight.

I found myself squatting by letting my lower back bend backwards as my hips rose, basically the opposite of rounding the back. I wasnt using my abs to stabilize my core. I am really hitting them and my hamstrings now to fix this. I am also stretching my ITB and psoas.

CAn anyone express their thoughts on this? I feel like my theory is pretty solid, I have just never heard of this happening. I feel like an idiot.