PDA

View Full Version : go wide??

cheesedips
07-30-2011, 05:41 PM
as per louie simmons should raw lifters go wide?

jtteg_x
07-30-2011, 06:06 PM
that's a pretty open end question. Simmons did say to use an illegal wide grip on the bench as one of the ME movements working up to a 6RM raw. As always, your comfort and health levels should be priority.

StLRPh
07-30-2011, 06:10 PM
I think that it would depend on the lifter's preference, what their hips can take and what they're strongest at.

joey54
07-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Short answer, No. But if it works for you and allows you to lift the most weight without tearing up your hips, by all means go ahead.

Scott Yard is a top lifter who posts on here and has huge gear and raw numbers. He brought his stance in quite a bit when he went to raw lifting.

Brian Hopper
07-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Go with what feels comfortable to you and most importantly.....what allows you to lift more weight!!!!!!

theBarzeen
07-30-2011, 09:11 PM
most guys go wide in gear to maximize the amount they can work their gear...... raw is all about where you feel comfortable and can work best.

Guys like big Rob squat pretty wide and do okay for themselves ( I guess 1000lbs raw is okay).... but most prefer shoulder width or so to put the weight in their quads and back more than their hips..... for the longest time I just assumed that it was bigger guys who liked a wider stance better, but one of my coaches and one of my teammates both squat just as wide ( or really close to it) raw as they do in full gear-whore mode..... my teammate is just a 181-er, my coach around 200

it's all about what works best for you.....

ScottYard
08-05-2011, 01:17 PM
It's all by feel. The most important thing is to do the right prehab to support your grip or stance use.

MarcusWild
08-05-2011, 02:00 PM
In training, it's good to use different stances to develop weak points. It's no different than using different bench grips. You need to know what your strongest stance for competition is though.