PDA

View Full Version : bench-grip question

xolix
08-02-2011, 02:07 PM
hi all , whats the best way to figure out , which grip is the best for me ? for example : i can bench nearly the same with a thumb from smooth grip like a wide grip . both have pros and contras .

the closer grip : i can bring up the bar easy to the midpoint or further because i have the best latsupport . BUT when i come to lockout its a bit harder fight then with the wider grip. i can't do a lot of reps , because the tris are dead sooner then with wide grip . BUT i have more control with the heavy weights , because of my lats . i can always start the weight 4-6 inches.

the wide grip :shorter ROM but i struggle to become a powerful start , but when i pushed the bar 2 inches , then the locking out is not a big deal. i can do a lot more reps here then with the closer one , but if 90 % or more weight is on the bar , its really hard to start after a comp.pause .

i also used a medium grip (ringfinger on rings ) but there is more struggling on lockout then with the closer one .

thats all my personally experience , but i don't know which grip has the best future for me ?

IronDiggy
08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Train both and see where it goes.

I'll assume the close grip is harder to lockout because more emphasis is put on your triceps.

Same with wide grip, more emphasis is put on your chest.

Make both stronger == win win.

Mark!
08-02-2011, 05:20 PM
pros and CONTRAS...dude this made me think about Contra, the old NES game, best..fucking...game...ever.

I train both, but focus on a wider grip for competitions. I focus on lower reps with comp grip, and higher reps with close grip. Your problem with exploding off the chest sounds like what I was dealing with. Cambered bar benching and benching against bands really helped this problem.

StLRPh
08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
pros and CONTRAS...dude this made me think about Contra, the old NES game, best..fucking...game...ever.

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b,a,b,a select, start :indian:

For grip used to always do really wide but ended up moving it in to help my shoulders. Lost some strength at first but adjusted relatively quickly. Now my wider grip is less strong...

shocker4221
08-02-2011, 11:34 PM

I train both, but focus on a wider grip for competitions. I focus on lower reps with comp grip, and higher reps with close grip. Your problem with exploding off the chest sounds like what I was dealing with. Cambered bar benching and benching against bands really helped this problem.

WOW, Contra! I second that.

Tom Mutaffis
08-03-2011, 05:10 AM
hi all , whats the best way to figure out , which grip is the best for me ? for example : i can bench nearly the same with a thumb from smooth grip like a wide grip . both have pros and contras .

the closer grip : i can bring up the bar easy to the midpoint or further because i have the best latsupport . BUT when i come to lockout its a bit harder fight then with the wider grip. i can't do a lot of reps , because the tris are dead sooner then with wide grip . BUT i have more control with the heavy weights , because of my lats . i can always start the weight 4-6 inches.

the wide grip :shorter ROM but i struggle to become a powerful start , but when i pushed the bar 2 inches , then the locking out is not a big deal. i can do a lot more reps here then with the closer one , but if 90 % or more weight is on the bar , its really hard to start after a comp.pause .

i also used a medium grip (ringfinger on rings ) but there is more struggling on lockout then with the closer one .

thats all my personally experience , but i don't know which grip has the best future for me ?

If you get down onto the floor into a push-up position your body should naturally go to your ideal grip width. You can simply have someone measure the distance between your hands and then figure out what that translates to on a barbell.

Super-wide benching would decrease the ROM, but in my opinion would also increase the risk of injury.

Brian C
08-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Im assuming you are a raw bencher. I went from using a Index on ring grip to a ring on ring grip raw. Basically the same results with grips you have, but found it was easier for me to bring my triceps up to improve my closer grip. Hit some high brd lockout work after your bench, and also weighted dips and Jm preses helped me.

ScottYard
08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Split the difference?

xolix
08-03-2011, 01:51 PM
thanks for replys ! i train with 531 , so i have to choose one perfect /optimal grip . i can't train different grips like on westsidetraining .
really good inputs here ...

theBarzeen
08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Split the difference?

This

UncleAl
08-03-2011, 02:48 PM
thanks for replys ! i train with 531 , so i have to choose one perfect /optimal grip ....
When I did the 5-3-1, I substituted CGBP for military press. That gave me a second bench day. Worked pretty good.