PDA

View Full Version : vitamins

McBain
05-24-2002, 11:13 AM
sorry y'all, i did a search but results weren't conclusive:

at present, im not taking any extra vitamins, training 4x a week tho. can anyone give me a poke in the right direction? is a multivitamin sufficient? what should it contain?

any help for a vitamin newbie is greatly appreciated.

raniali
05-24-2002, 01:04 PM
My opinion - supplement with water-soluble vitamins (C, Bs for starters) is a MUST. I take C at least 3x a day, and my B-complex 2x. These plus my multi-vitamin and vit E.
If you train - sweat alot and tear your muscles apart - supplementation is necessary UNLESS you are eating all the good greens and veggies you can (which I doubt any of us do).

Also - I would prefer to have saturated myself with the necessary vitamins than be deficient. Obviously there are problems with EXCESSIVE amounts - but some (like Linus Pauling) advocate upwards of 15-20 g of Vit C a day (He lived till 90 yo). Your body doesn't store for great lengths the water-soluble vitamins, so I usually take them in multiple doses.

http://www.geocities.com/ali91030/VitnMin.html
This site just gives you some basic info on the roles of the vitamins and minerals in your body.

McBain
05-24-2002, 07:53 PM
thanks for your help :)

SweetP
05-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Most people take way too many vitamins that aren't essential. If you're eating the right foods, and getting an adequate amount your system will have all the vitamins it needs. You overdo the vitamin intake and your body doesn't even absorb them anymore....... not only that, you become dependent on them. IMO, too much of anything is bad.

WillyTheGreat
05-25-2002, 08:21 PM
Too much vitamin C isn't good for you.

Clark
05-25-2002, 08:27 PM
too much anything isn't good for you

Alex.V
05-25-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by SweetP
You overdo the vitamin intake and your body doesn't even absorb them anymore....... not only that, you become dependent on them.

False on both accounts. But I agree that overdoing it is never good.

thalapathi
05-25-2002, 09:03 PM
Some research on Vit C absorption.

Abstract:
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is an essential nutrient that is involved in a number of cellular processes. However, unlike most mammals, man is unable to synthesize vitamin C and it must therefore be acquired from the diet. Absorption of vitamin C is achieved by two transporters, SVCT1 and SVCT2, recently cloned from rat and human kidney. SVCT1 is thought to be the predominant transporter in the intestine. Vitamin C supplements are increasingly common, thus contributing to an increased dietary load, and therefore the aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of high doses of ascorbic acid on SVCT1 expression. Using the Caco-2 TC7 cell model of small intestinal enterocytes, we measured the effects of ascorbic acid (45 mg/ml culture medium) on L-[14C]ascorbic acid uptake and SVCT1 expression (determined by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction). Ascorbic acid uptake was decreased significantly in Caco-2 TC7 cells exposed to ascorbate for 24 h (-50 %, P<00005). Expression of SVCT1 was also significantly reduced by exposure to elevated levels of ascorbate for 24 h (-77 %, P<0005). Taken together these results suggest that high-dose supplements might not be the most efficient way of increasing the body pool of vitamin C.

Reference:
Decreased expression of the vitamin C transporter SVCT1 by ascorbic acid in a human intestinal epithelial cell line

British Journal Of Nutrition, February 2002, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 97-100(4)

MacDonald L.[1]; Thumser A.E.[1]; Sharp P.*

Centre for Nutrition and Food Safety, School of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford GU2 7XH, UK

The study concludes that "Taken together these results suggest that high-dose supplements might not be the most efficient way of increasing the body pool of vitamin C."

It seems that, like most other systems in our body, we respond to chronic high doses of vitamin C by reducing the number of intestinal transporters required to absorb the vitamin.

Though this research was done in vitro rather than looking at whole live humans, so may not be really valid, we might need to think about it .

SweetP
05-25-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Belial

False on both accounts.

A body can only absorb so much. That's the purpose of peeing and shitting........... you know when you pee and it smells like vitamins? There's the excess that hasn't been absorbed.

McBain
05-26-2002, 05:41 AM
does that only apply to water soluable vitamins tho?

anyways, i bought a multivitamin, and will take a little extra vitamin c.

just read that again, WTF does vitamin pee smell like??

SweetP
05-26-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by McBain

just read that again, WTF does vitamin pee smell like??

Ummm....it smells like vitamins.

McBain
05-27-2002, 12:17 AM
sorry i just have my doubts

Shocker
05-27-2002, 12:41 AM
i take my multis and about 2-3000mg of C p/day and I am one of the only ppl that I know who has avoided the flu this year. I have been literally surrounded by dozens of sick, coughing and spluttering flu victims and yet I fail to become ill. Briliant.

Vitamin C is one of the best - a supremely powerful antioxidant.