PDA

View Full Version : Best program for Push/Pull

Morgan McPherson
08-05-2011, 06:19 PM
I have decided that I am going to focus primarily on push/pull. I have been using 531, but want to try something new to really get my bench and deadlift up.

I was thinking of using the Ed Coan program, but have heard mixed reviews. Does anyone have any ideas on what works best. Maybe a different program for each lift? Thoughts and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brian C
08-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Coan definately works, but make sure to set your numbers to a reasonable goal. Its a tough program as the weeks progress.

jtteg_x
08-08-2011, 05:53 AM
I'm interested to hear any solid P/P method out there. I'm in the same boat as you focusing on my bench mainly and maintaining my pull working around this injury. lately I been doing DE/ME Bench days and have a ME lower which would consist of heavy pull variation. If my body is fully recovered I do DE lower which is usually high rep squat variation off a box.

Dave Alan
08-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Coan definately works, but make sure to set your numbers to a reasonable goal. Its a tough program as the weeks progress.

I would strongly reemphasize the bolded part of Brian's statement. Going into a program like this with unrealistic expectations (thinking you'll take your bench from 285 to 325 in 10 or 12 weeks for example) is a sure fire way to sabotage yourself right from the beginning. If you're on week 3 and you're already killing yourself to get the required reps, it's pretty much all over at that point. So be conservative and realistic. Better to go from 285 to 295 and get there than try for a huge jump, not even get close, and end up back where you started.

Good luck!