PDA

View Full Version : Soy Protien good or bad for men?

lazyman79
05-24-2002, 01:00 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if Soy protein is good or bad for men. Ive read that it lowers cholesterol which sounds good. But then I have a freind whos telling me its not so good in other areas. Im just so confused by it all. Heh Any info if at all would be great.

Thanks....

Clark
05-24-2002, 01:04 PM
I think it raises estrogen levels in men, which is a bad thing unless you want to start growing brests

Tryska
05-24-2002, 02:39 PM
actually from what i've been reading lately, it blocks aromatase, therefore, not raising estrogen levels. I can't back that up just yet, but it's worthy of some looking into.

Mark
05-25-2002, 12:17 AM
The quality of soya protein supplements is much better these days than it was a number of years ago when it first earned a reputation for being poor quality protein.

Soya protein can help to keep your thyroid elevated so should be more beneficial whilst cutting although there's no reason not to take it all the time as part of your protein intake.

Reinier
05-25-2002, 02:14 AM
it tastes like the moulds on an old barn blended fine and then dried into powder.

hemants
05-27-2002, 12:42 PM
1. Men have very few estrogen receptors to begin with and even those would be filled by 10 - 15 lbs of excess body fat

2. Soy may actually inhibit estrogen because it fills the receptors and takes the place of actual estrogen which is allegedly more potent

3. Soy contains all the essential amino acids and has been shown to lower bad cholestrol.

4. Despite that, more study is required on megadoses of soy isoflavone extracts which are available in pill form - until that is done, I'd stick to soy based foods and not pills.

Big_Leo
03-18-2005, 09:15 PM
1. Men have very few estrogen receptors to begin with and even those would be filled by 10 - 15 lbs of excess body fat

2. Soy may actually inhibit estrogen because it fills the receptors and takes the place of actual estrogen which is allegedly more potent

3. Soy contains all the essential amino acids and has been shown to lower bad cholestrol.

4. Despite that, more study is required on megadoses of soy isoflavone extracts which are available in pill form - until that is done, I'd stick to soy based foods and not pills.
The above quote is both valid and interesting but I know for a fact that soy contains estrogen precursors and becomes estrogen in the body, which is why I don't take it.
IMO, you will be fine as long as you don't become a "soy junkie."

Geeper
03-19-2005, 04:22 AM
The average Joe is eating a TON of soy everyday and they don't even know it, it's an ingrediant in everything from instant coffees to breads, check the ingrediants of a dozen things in your home and more than likely soy will be in more than half of them. That being said, soy messes with your thyroid and playing with that is not a good thing anytime. So you've taking in more than enough to get any benifits already, it's almost immposible to avoid, so balance it out by making decisions to eat whey proteins, and meats.

Shao-LiN
03-19-2005, 05:00 AM
I eat a lot of soy protein from random products/food throughout the day...no manboobs yet.