PDA

View Full Version : Meet Writeup. 2220lbs total!

SELK
08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
H-jiy7DOliE

Decided to enter the 242 weight class instead of the 220. This meant a lot less weight cutting and I thought would give me the best chance at a big total.
Squat warmups. The warmups didn’t feel great and I only went up to about 675. The flight was starting and most of the guys were using less weight than me so it was a little difficult to get the warmups in, the 675 moved easily though.

Squat attempt 1 – 903lbs – This ties my best squat. The whole lift was very easy and I felt that I took it to pretty good depth. 3 White lights.
Squat attempt 2 – 953lbs – This was about a 50lbs PR. The squat was difficult but I got it. I thought the depth was right at parallel and they gave it to me. 3 White lights.
Passed my third attempt – I didn’t feel I had much more in the tank.

Bench
Warmups felt terrible. My shoulder that has been giving me some problems since my last meet was acting up and it was painful to press 275lbs. I decided to open with a token raw lift then get into my shirt.
Bench 1 – 220lbs – token lift
Put on the shirt and was VERY glad I took a token bench because I could hardly get my shirt on, in the last few weeks ive gained some size and it was WAY too tight. I had no idea how I was ever going to touch a weight.
Bench 2 - 518lbs – worlds longest bench. I will say right now that I was very lucky to have this passed, I had a very poor setup and my ass came off the bench. The judge must not have seen it. It did pass for 2 white lights.
Bench 3 – 551lbs – brought it down and missed it at the bottm. I have the strength for this, just having some shirt issues that I will sort out soon enough.

Deadlift
Dead 1- 672 – very easy.
Dead 2 – 749 – 11lbs PR. This came off the ground MUCH quicker then I expected then as usually stalled out right around the lockout. I was having a hard time getting that last inch. The bar started to slide and open up my hand as well but I was able to hold on and very briefly lock it out.
Passed on the 3rd deadlift. Not a whole lot left in the tank and my hand was ripped open. I need to fix that last 3 inches of my deadlift and I am pretty sure I will be closer to 800.

Total – 2220lbs.
Won best lifter + the deadlift trophy used to honor Bruce Greig + my class
Overall I think it’s a meet I can be happy with. I know what I need to work on to get my total up and I think that soon I will be able to add quite a bit of weight to my total.

NickAus
08-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Very strong Ryan!!

-JM-
08-07-2011, 05:12 AM
Awesome mate. Devastating total.

thecityalive
08-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Beatmode. Should consider lengthening that beard for maximum performance! ;)

theBarzeen
08-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Nice job man...

mikesbench
08-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Nice met Selk!

Brian Hopper
08-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Great job Ryan!!!

Lones Green
08-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Great meet Ryan! That bench did take forever to touch. Where did your neck go?

Tim K
08-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Great meet with a very nice total at the end of the day. That is what I call smart lifting!

chris mason
08-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Good job!

sJarl
08-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Congrats! That bench was agonizing to watch :)

MikeWilliams
08-07-2011, 02:01 PM
great lifting!! that bench was crazy to watch, I thought my computer froze

ScottYard
08-07-2011, 02:47 PM
its Nice to see a handler call good depth. Squats looked quality and you made some great choices weight wise on the other lifts. Congrats on the prs.

SELK
08-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Very strong Ryan!!

Thanks!

Awesome mate. Devastating total.

Yep, big PR on the total for sure. Mostly due to the big squat PR.

Beatmode. Should consider lengthening that beard for maximum performance! ;)

Funny thing is that I shaved it off 2 weeks ago, it was pretty long before then. Girlfriend is not the beards biggest fan it appears.

Nice job man...

Thanks!

Nice met Selk!

Thanks Mike!

Great job Ryan!!!

Thanks again Brian, not quite squatting the number you did in boss/boss but slowly getting there :D

Great meet Ryan! That bench did take forever to touch. Where did your neck go?

At the meet people made fun of me for having no neck. One person said it looked like I was "perpetually shrugging" hahaha

Great meet with a very nice total at the end of the day. That is what I call smart lifting!

thanks! Yeah, ive been getting better with attempt selection.

Good job!

Thanks Chris!

Congrats! That bench was agonizing to watch :)

Yeah, I competed 4 weeks ago and did not have near as much problem getting benches to touch. I gained some weight and had a massive bloat on meet day and my shirt was WAY to tight. Combined with the fact that I was hesitant to bring it down fast because my shoulder hurt and it was a disaster.

great lifting!! that bench was crazy to watch, I thought my computer froze

All I remember thinking as I was lowering it was "DONT TAKE IT!" because I knew if they gave me enough time it was going to touch. Its hard to see from the video, but even after it touched there was a very long pause haha.

its Nice to see a handler call good depth. Squats looked quality and you made some great choices weight wise on the other lifts. Congrats on the prs.

Yeah my training partner called my depth and I knew he was going to take me there, I think I actually beat his up commands actually but it was close. In the gear im wearing I can hit that depth with 405lbs if I try so I don't really have an excuse not to get down.

Cricket_Fire
08-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Unreal bro! Making great strides in the last while!

BloodandThunder
08-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Thats some solid squats right there, good job! That a Boss suit?

SELK
08-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Unreal bro! Making great strides in the last while!

Thanks!

Thats some solid squats right there, good job! That a Boss suit?

Yep. its a boss suit and boss briefs. I had the hips taken in on them but they are still both a little bit to big in the hips for me. I can hit depth with the straps up with about 400lbs.

I really like the boss squat gear, but it doesn't last at all. This is the 2nd meet ive done in this suit and its pretty much toast, I don't wear it much in training either because I want it to keep the pop.

I think im going to a leviathan + preds combo here when I get some money, hopefully that adds a bit of weight to my squat without me having to do much work, but time will tell.

vdizenzo
08-10-2011, 02:49 PM
That's some awesome lifting. Great job with the pr's.

krazylarry
08-10-2011, 07:02 PM
fantastic!