PDA

View Full Version : Shaky in the bench press (fix)?

namaste
08-08-2011, 01:10 PM
What can be done to help shake less when benching? When I unrack weight and hold it at the top I feel slightly shaky. It hasn't always been this way. Used to only be on a new lift I wasn't used to but now it's happenening in the bench press. Which is a lift I do a lot as I train westside methods for powerlifting.

theBarzeen
08-08-2011, 04:52 PM
For me, it helps to squeeze everything tight. Upper back, glutes, legs driving my hips up toward my head..... squeezing the lats especially helps me stay tight at the unrack.

This may or may not be the problem for you, but I hope it helps a little.

JK1
08-12-2011, 02:54 AM
What can be done to help shake less when benching? When I unrack weight and hold it at the top I feel slightly shaky. It hasn't always been this way. Used to only be on a new lift I wasn't used to but now it's happenening in the bench press. Which is a lift I do a lot as I train westside methods for powerlifting.

3 things:

1) focus on keeping tight, make sure your setup and breathing are correct. For me, if my breathing is off, I'm more likely to shake. also check foot postion and make sure you have solid foot placing at all times. I trained with a guy who'd shake like he was a personal massager in a blender if he didn't have his feet correct. Foot placement set up everything for the rest of his setup.
2) work your stabilizers----do "crazy bell" presses Lou describes by hanging kettle bells from jumpstretch bands from the end of the bar. If you don't have kettlebells, just use plates. If you don't have bands, use bungee chords. Bottom line, get that bar shaking so you have to work to stay tight.
3) do the "fat man rows" that have been described on this forum. Vincent Dizenzio (I'm really not trying to kiss Vinny's ass, he has put up some very good information that has helped my bench out tremendously) put up a youtube video he made. The one difference between how Vinny did his and how I'd do them if I was shaking like you describe, be sure to hold the contraction when the bar is on your chest and SQUEEZE the crap out of your upper back, then try to push up as you would with your legs slightly to get the bar off of your chest. Don't throw it up in the air, but make each rep mimick as close to exactly what you'd do if you were actually benching.

ChadDresden
08-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Even if you are staying tight and you're having this problem, chances are you need to build a stronger/thicker upper back. When you unrack the weight, don't concentrate on holding it up with your arms. Once you squeeze your back tight and dig it into the bench, your hands should just be the acting as like a pedestal for the weight with the majority of it being absorbed by your back. When I was extremely shaky when bench pressing, that was my problem. It took me a few months to get better but you just need to hammer your upper back/rear delts.