PDA

View Full Version : Squats/elbows

916Lifter
08-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Ive got some weak tendons in my elbows that i caused by squating low bar with a narrow grip... What ive been doing to correct this ofcourse is to widen my grip, im almost out to the collars now and my hands arnt on the bar i actually have my wrist pushed up on the bar... It feels secure and my back and shoulders stay tight and i have a good platform for the bar to rest... In addition to that im ising a foam roller on my upper back to try and correct the curv on my upper back, im also doing shoulder dislocators with a 40lb band witch feels really good while doing them wish i would of found these sooner. Anyways even with all that ive been doing the damage has already been done and after about my 3rd set of squats my biceps are in serious pain but i manage to finish with long breaks inbetween sets... Ive been doing my other excersises first and finishing with my squats so the pain doesnt interfere with my work out.... Anyways i really want to give my tendons time to heal up and i came accross a video with some handles on a barbell... I can easily weld some handles on a bar but i work out in a gym so unless i set up at home thats not a option... Anybody see any attachments i can hook to a barbell for handles???? Ill post a link to the vid and its about 3 mins in u will see what im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu7phKF0ZSY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mark!
08-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Are you talking about a safety squat bar? Unless you workout at a "fitness club" most gyms have them.

916Lifter
08-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Are you talking about a safety squat bar? Unless you workout at a "fitness club" most gyms have them.

Negative.. Watch the video i linked and at about 3:00 you will see what im talking about.

Mark!
08-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Looks like a homeade safety squat bar. Try Dave Drapers Top Squat, it's cheaper than buying a SSB, and probably better than welding something on the bar. As you said, you can't weld the gyms bar.

916Lifter
08-08-2011, 07:30 PM
It's actually at -2:00 you can see some handles attached to the barbell.

Sensei
08-08-2011, 09:30 PM
High bar, Manta Ray squats, front squats ("cross your heart", or w. lifting straps if flexibility is an issue), safety bar squat, or Dave Draper's Top Squat would be what I'd recommend for people w. bad shoulders.

Looks like Clint's just using lifting straps there at about 3:10 and it's another option.

Improving shoulder flexibility would take some torque off of your shoulders, but if you push it before those elbows get better you're just asking for trouble. After you've healed up, you might try some things here: http://davedraper.com/blog/2011/03/23/getting-under-the-bar/

916Lifter
08-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Sensei, thanks for the link... Most of those stretches im Already doing but i will ad in the ones im not as far has hi bar goes i dont want to switch to that becouse it torqes on my back... As far as all the variations of front squats yes im adding those in but im not sure how heavy i can go with front squats.... Anyways i have some ideas on getting some handles attatched to the barbell so i can heal up and work on getting flexable.
Ps my shoulders are strong and healthy, not very flexable but there goood, its my tendons in my elbow causing pain in my biceps thats holding me back.

Niko_El_Piko
08-11-2011, 06:19 PM
916: I think your problem is that homemade barbell. You are pulling the straps, and that is putting TOO much tension on your biceps.
Why donīt you squat in a regular old fashioned barbell?