PDA

View Full Version : Bench only competition results (please critique)

mike95763
08-11-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't get a chance to post video often, so I wanted to take the opportunity to ask for advice from all of the many benchers on this board who are far more accomplished than me. I competed in Rock Springs, WY last friday at the Baddest Bench at the Big Show. I weighed in Thursday night at 199 lbs (there was no point in cutting weight since Jason Coker was competing at 198), then after a pretty poor night sleep in a very sub standard hotel room I awoke and started prepping for competition. The competition didn't start until 6:30 pm so my team and I set about finding something to do to keep out of the sun and pass the time. We ate a very large breakfast/lunch then went to a movie theater and watched Cowboys and Aliens (which I don't really recommend by the way). After this we headed to the fair where the competition was held. We paid to get in (very lame considering we all paid for both federation cards and entry fees prior) then began carrying our bags around looking for any signs of a powerlifting competition. After walking around for a good 15-20 minutes we saw some benches, barbells and stacks of weight sitting in the dirt by one of the stages. We figured this must be the place and sure enough after a few minutes the other lifters started to arrive. I have to admit I was a little worried about how things would turn out with, but soon guys like Rob Luyando, Brian Schwab, Jason Coker and Tiny Meeker starting showing up and everything was super cool. By the time we were all done warming up there was by far the biggest crowd I have ever seen for a powerlifting event. Several hundered people were gathered around the stage to watch us all lift. I opened with 606 and dispite the fact that my technique was way off from nerves I managed to complete the lift with 2 white lights. On my second attempt I tried for 628 and absolutely smoked it. My third attempt I went for 645, which was 15 lbs over my best gym lift, and I managed to grind it out and get 3 whites. One of my friends managed to sneak on stage and video some of the lifts with his cell phone. Here is a video of my third attempt of 645 lbs. I have been lucky to train with a great group of guys who have taught me a ton about shirted pressing, but I am still fairly new to the sport and I know I have a ton to learn, so if anyone has any advice on issues they see in the video please let me know. Thanks.

vpxS4mTNdyY

Tim K
08-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't think the speed on your third attempt was bad at all. A slight hesitation here and there, but a pretty good lift. It is 645 lbs after all. Aside from having to pay the venue fee, it sounded like a great competition with some stellar results for yourself! Congratulations on your new bench PR!

mike95763
08-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks Tim,
I do feel like I need to incorporate more speed work (Currently I rotate in speed work with rep work on my light day). I am reasonably explosive raw, but when I put on my shirt I tend to go slow even with the lighter weights. I think I go slow because I am always trying to find the groove of the shirt on the way up and trying to avoid dropping the weight on my face as well.