08-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Ran across this from the way back machine for squats and bench presses:

Week 1: 70% x 8x3 ,2 minutes between sets
Week 2: 75% x 8x3, 2 minutes between sets
Week 3: 80% x 6x3, 2 minutes between sets
Week 4: 85% x 5x2, 3 minutes between set
Week 5: (80x2, 85% x 2, 90% x2) 5 minutes between sets

Done with straight weight.

I believe this may have been done on what has since become DE day and that there was another day for heavy (ME) lifts, though I can't find exactly how this program was utilized in context with the rest of the week so I'm not really sure if that's accurate.

Anybody have any comments on this program or does anyone know how it fit in with the rest of the training week back when it was in use? Even though it isn't the most current variation of what they're doing, it looks to me like it still has plenty of merit for many lifters.

Thanks!

3rdLargest
08-11-2011, 08:20 PM
There's an article on this website with Louie Simmons and he explains it. They no longer use it because it lacked variation for weaknesses

Dave Alan
08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Maybe I missed it or read the wrong piece but in the one I read from this site, Lou just said they don't use that template any longer for the reasons you mentioned. He didn't go into any detail other than that. Like I say, maybe there's another piece on this site that I'm not seeing....

chris mason
08-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Louie is always looking for ways to improve. His system is therefore constantly morphing. They try a lot of things at the gym before they become common knowledge. If what they try works they keep it. If not, they drop it. You always therefore want to use the most current version of Westside as it is the experimentally best form.

joey54
08-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Seems like a viable set up to follow regardless.

Dave Alan
08-13-2011, 10:36 AM
I thought so too. Lou's methods have definitely evolved, no question there, but I wonder if much of that evolution came about due to the changes in powerlifting equipment over the years. When that program was originally done, bench shirts and squat suits were in their infancy and as strides were made in that area everyone's training changed, including Westside's. So I thought that maybe the program I mentioned would still be just as viable for a raw or lightly geared lifter now as it was back then.

Should add this disclaimer - what I said in the above paragraph is only my train of thought, which may be incorrect. I have NO idea what Louie does now or ever did at Westside, nor do I pretend to, other than what I've read on the "net of course. :)

Travis Bell
08-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Coming from over 6 years at Westside, I think the gear has changed things a little but that hasn't been as big a motivator as you'd think.

Otherwise we'd see guys getting stronger in their gear without getting stronger without. Very few of us compete raw, but I've seen some stupid sick stuff in the gym done raw that would indicate the opposite.

The way we train now is good for both the raw and geared lifter. I train the same cycles as everyone else all the time and I have a competition best raw bench of 550 and plan on adding to that a lot in the future.

We have 8 guys who have raw benches well over 500 (when Mike Wolfe trained here he had a raw comp best of 600) while training at Westside and 6 of them have benched over 800 in gear. Coincidence? I dont think so.

Biggest thing is training correctly with good technique and picking your ME exercises appropriately as well as getting enough work sets in.