PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit=Jacked

ThomasG
08-11-2011, 09:37 PM
From www.Crossfit.com

1.5. Will I/can I get big doing CrossFit?

If you train the WODs hard, and eat right and get lots of sleep, you will definitely gain lean mass, lose fat, and yes, you can build muscle mass with the crossfit protocol. More specifically, according to Coach,
Here is a hierarchy of training for mass from greater to lesser efficacy:
1. Bodybuilding on steroids
2. CrossFitting on steroids
3. CrossFitting without steroids
4. Bodybuilding without steroids
The bodybuilding model is designed around, requires, steroids for significant hypertrophy.
The neuroendocrine response of bodybuilding protocols is so blunted that without "exogenous hormonal therapy" little happens.
The CrossFit protocol is designed to elicit a substantial neuroendocrine whollop and hence packs an anabolic punch that puts on impressive amounts of muscle though that is not our concern. Strength is.
Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our ahtletes do. They don't come close.
Those athletes who train for function end up with better form than those who value form over function. This is one of the beautiful ironies of training.

Thoughts?

JohnnyRingo
08-11-2011, 10:23 PM
I may have read that wrong but steroid free bodybuilders are smaller than crossfit users? can i see pictures of just one example, because everything i have seen contradicts that strongly.

4g64fiero
08-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Thats the stupidest fucking thing I have ever read.

Good to see some sort of condtioning section here on WBB though.

chris mason
08-11-2011, 11:19 PM
That is one thing that I think they really should take off of their site. Obviously CrossFit does not build lean muscle better than bodybuilding. With that said, there are some pretty jacked CrossFit men and women.

chris mason
08-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Oh, and FYI, this forum will NOT be for CrossFit bashing.

Bako Lifter
08-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh, and FYI, this forum will NOT be for CrossFit bashing.

Good.

thecityalive
08-12-2011, 03:15 AM
Crossfitters on roids? Thought that went against crossfit protocol?

chris mason
08-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Crossfitters on roids? Thought that went against crossfit protocol?

The point of that is not what they advocate, it is to show the efficacy of the program at making one muscular. It was just something that they did early on that was a bit goofy.

RFabsik
08-12-2011, 08:39 PM
I think this notion comes from the idea that a lot of people who used to do typical bodybuilding routines in a lax way would get mediocre results, maybe get bigger and stronger but still have some fat, then they'd do alll the CF conditioning work and lean out so in a sense appear bigger despite actually being leaner and smaller.

I also I think there are a lot of pseudo-bodybuilders who follow something like the old school Schwarzenegger's Modern Encycolopedia of Bodybuilding as a beginner or the training article of the month from a muscle mag and go no where because they don't have the proper base for it. You put these same novices onto a more intensity based program that focuses on compound movements over isolation compared to the isolation and volume of a pro-bodybuilder and they lean out and in some cases get stronger. How many guys do you see in the gym doing 3-4 sets of 3-4 exercises for each bodypart weighing 140lbs?

Now if somone built up a training base and worked there way up to a higher level bodybuilding routine, I think it would be rare for them to be able to get bigger on a CF program.

Now if you properly blended a CF program with some strength work--would it take you further or just make you a more balance athlete?

chris mason
08-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks for coming over Robert!

joelhall
09-05-2011, 06:23 PM
From what I have seen on crossfit boards, most of these guys have usually done bodybuilding, etc before starting crossfit. CF is really a GPP program taken up a notch (although I have to say like many, I take issue with their use of OLs done for reps and improper form, there are much safer ways of training explosive movements). I understand CF is popular with some powerlifters too as they get more all round conditioning and do well in the strength/competitive atmosphere of CF.

Meat_Head
09-20-2011, 03:18 PM
I may have read that wrong but steroid free bodybuilders are smaller than crossfit users? can i see pictures of just one example, because everything i have seen contradicts that strongly.

Agreed, that's a ridiculous supposition. Crossfitters don't train for lean mass, period. It is not a system for muscle gain.

ncsuLuke
09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Definitely don't think CrossFit is the way to go if you are looking to put on mass but I will say in the close to three months that I have been doing CrossFit I have seen a bigger improvement in strength and muscle mass added than I have doing any other routine. I attribute that to the way I workout doing CrossFit though because I bust my ass in the gym day in and day out and if I am not someone is there telling me to keep going. When it was just me going to the gym I didn't push myself near as hard. Now if I did a powerlifting or bodybuilding routine with this type of work ethic I am sure I would be putting on the muscle without too much trouble, problem is I get bored of regular routines so I wouldn't do that.