PDA

View Full Version : Scottish games

Max Thunder
08-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Anyone ever participated in scottish games?

I've never participated or trained in any of these events. I was wondering how difficult it was for someone whose only training is in the gym. The caber toss doesn't sound too difficult, but all the other events are about throwing stuff and seem to require some good technique. I'm fairly strong but I have nowhere to train for that specific kind of stuff. I'm going to attend the Albany games on the first weekend of september and was wondering if it were a bad idea to participate as an amateur.

Dave Alan
08-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I have never competed but I have been to several Games and I can tell you that by watching some very large and muscular first or second timers attempt the implements that it's technique first and strength second. The weights for distance especially have them falling all over themselves. And don't underestimate the caber, most can't even pick it without it falling over.

I would see if the Games you're attending has a first timers group and in the mean time, see if you can find some experienced athletes to show you the basics on the implements. They'll embarrass you if the first time you ever handle them is at the contest.

baconandburpees
08-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Several people who go to my gym participate in the games, it is something I am interested in doing too, since it is part of my heritage.

theBarzeen
08-13-2011, 06:59 PM
that caber is a son-of-a-gun to get up in the right position..... I say go out and have fun and ask lots of questions. You might be able to find a group to train with.

Mark!
08-14-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm planning on competing in the highland games next year for shits and giggles, luckily my trainers brother is a world class track and field guy who will be able to share some tips.