PDA

View Full Version : Best football strength training program

Bosshogg300
08-13-2011, 04:49 PM
i am looking to develop a program for helping me with football and am wondering what would be a good program for strength and explosive strength i want to be able to gain weight but it has to be functional , i have searched the web and havent found much in terms of good programs

Bosshogg300
08-13-2011, 04:51 PM
also i do not deadlift anymore

Bosshogg300
08-13-2011, 05:10 PM
has anyone used 531 for football , anyone think that is good ?

cheesedips
08-14-2011, 11:37 AM
i would think ur past 531 now with ur lifts being real good.

Off Road
08-14-2011, 11:48 AM
i would think ur past 531 now with ur lifts being real good.

That makes no sense.

BallsWideDeep
08-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Look at DeFranco's Training. All his programs are designed for competing athletes.

chris mason
08-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Westside with a bit more sled work than powerlifters use. It works perfectly and Louie has the athletes to prove it. One guy who trains there set the L-drill record for the NFL.

nickp8
08-14-2011, 03:17 PM
I have used 5/3/1 for Football and thought it was great. I have also used WS4SB and I used to train at Defranco's. You need to remember that your main focus should be football and being ready for practice and games and not run down. You didn't specify what level you are playing at,but most likely your season starts very soon so you are a little late as far as gaining size and strength for the season. You should worry about maintaining current strength levels right now. Defranco has an in season template on his website and 5/3/1 for Football also has an in season template. Just don't let your weight training consume you right now and focus on the actual sport.

Bosshogg300
08-18-2011, 04:22 PM
I am not playing this season, and I will be playing college ball next fall and have already been accepted into the school but I want to get ready and I have alot of time to do so, and my goals are to be ready running wise which I have under control but what I want to achieve strength wise is a bigger more consistent bench and bring my sqaut back up, so what I am looking for is a program 3 days a week 2 upper days focused on bench, and 1 day focused on lower and squat could anyone lend any advice id be very thankful

BoAnderson71
08-18-2011, 08:41 PM
5/3/1

StormTheBeach
08-19-2011, 12:41 PM
I am not playing this season, and I will be playing college ball next fall and have already been accepted into the school but I want to get ready and I have alot of time to do so, and my goals are to be ready running wise which I have under control but what I want to achieve strength wise is a bigger more consistent bench and bring my sqaut back up, so what I am looking for is a program 3 days a week 2 upper days focused on bench, and 1 day focused on lower and squat could anyone lend any advice id be very thankful

The best way to develop strength is to work on your weakness... so, take a fucking English class next fall.

As far as a program, x2 for Westside.

Bosshogg300
08-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Ok, well I didnt know I was writing my dissertation here,and had to be so PC and grammatically correct

thecityalive
08-19-2011, 04:33 PM
We mainly use 5/3/1 for our football team at Eastern Michigan.

nickp8
08-19-2011, 04:43 PM
What position do you play? Go on Defrancos website and print out his Westside for Skinny Bastards or buy Wendler's 5/3/1 for football. They are both great programs that don't make you think to much. Just pick your numbers and lift. Do the programs exactly how they are laid out and just bust your ass and you will be fine.

ThomasG
08-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Westside with a bit more sled work than powerlifters use. It works perfectly and Louie has the athletes to prove it. One guy who trains there set the L-drill record for the NFL.

This. I program more jump training than a power lifter uses as well.

Bosshogg300
08-19-2011, 08:19 PM
I am a running back and have tried the 5/3/1 and thought it was ok but have had better results with westside I just am wondering how to make it more football oriented and still help with goals

mastermonster
08-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Good luck with your goals. I have our guys on 5-3-1 and the gains have been very good and consistant. I'm curious though; why don't you deadlift anymore? And if you're not DLing, are you doing power cleans instead. I'd recommend doing one or the other with ideal form being a main goal, secondary to the weight used.

Counterweight
08-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Do 5/3/1 but switch out OH press/Deadlift for powercleans and use the additional day just for positional stuff. Just do the proscribed reps and don't AMRAP on the last set. Do conditioning/positional/footwork stuff 3x a week in addition to that and you'll be golden. 5/3/1 WORKS. I love it. Also do the bodyweight assistance exercises. Nothing like doing 75 GHR's.

Bosshogg300
08-22-2011, 07:44 PM
I do not deadlift anymore bc of a injury I sustained from it and I said I am washing my hands clean of them and its not a necessary lift for me and I feel as if it hindered me more then helped, and if I didn't do 5/3?1 how would you work in powercleans if I did my dynamic bench day and max bench day and one lower day would I rotate sqaut and powercleans or add it in on lower day